Ancestry sites.

balds

Reaction score
I saw this brought up in another thread, though it deserved it's own. Anyone participated? I did 23/me. Was nearly exactly as my mom told me it would be. roughly 50% Norwegian, 27% Finnish and 20% Northwestern Scandinavian (Sweden). Slightly German/British?Irish and a scant trace of Eastern European and Native American.

I also have more Neanderthal DNA than 99.7% of 23 and me users.

Every single "prediction" as far as eye color. caffeine consumption, hair color, etc. was spot on.

You're stupid for doing it. They aren't accurate, and you just gave up all your data to be sold. The government will eventually get a hold of that information.

You're stupid for doing it. They aren't accurate, and you just gave up all your data to be sold. The government will eventually get a hold of that information.

Well, I am a Neanderthal.

Well, I am a Neanderthal.

Ha!

So you know, you basically gave up the equivalent of your SSN to be used and possibly stolen at any point against you for decades. In a few years, your DNA could be a bigger gold mine than giving out your SSN. What's worse, it could be used against your family members in the future.

I would do anything you can to force them to destroy your DNA sample.

Ha!

So you know, you basically gave up the equivalent of your SSN to be used and possibly stolen at any point against you for decades. In a few years, your DNA could be a bigger gold mine than giving out your SSN. What's worse, it could be used against your family members in the future.

I would do anything you can to force them to destroy your DNA sample.
You forgot to make sure we all wear tinfoil hats...

If the government wanted your DNA, they could easily get it. Ask the Golden State Killer.

What is the government going to do with it?

If the government wanted your DNA, they could easily get it. Ask the Golden State Killer.

What is the government going to do with it?

Corporations are worse than government getting it. It'll get stolen at some point, it's almost guaranteed, which is worse than corporations controlling it to sell, test, lose, use against you, etc.

The government can do a number of things with it or lose it to someone. You're a smart guy.

I'm tempted to try one of these tests & am interested in others' results, but am not going to do one myself for privacy issues. I'm much more concerned about the govt getting my info, than I am corporations getting it.

I'm tempted to try one of these tests & am interested in others' results, but am not going to do one myself for privacy issues. I'm much more concerned about the govt getting my info, than I am corporations getting it.

You think so...huh :confused: Go ask Edsel Ford about that.

Won't be long and you'll need one for the designer drugs that will be coming out. You'll be begging them to give you a test.

$100? I'll probably wait until insurance pays for it.

I may as well find out the results for myself. The government has had mine for a while and I am sure that Trump gave it to the Russian Mafia in order to build a new GND style Trump Tower in Moscow. So simple even a Caveman could do that.

If your relatives do it, then they've basically got yours anyway.

If your relatives do it, then they've basically got yours anyway.
Exactly. That’s why I mentioned the Golden State Killer. He was nabbed by comparing DNA from the crimes to the DNA that the ancestry company (ies) had.

These DNA organizations have enough peoples’ DNA to track anyone in the world. When you take the test, you agree to releasing the information to the government or other organizations as the DNA company sees fit.

Everyones’ DNA is not a secret if the government has an interest in them, so I really don’t know what use it is resisting it.

Exactly. That’s why I mentioned the Golden State Killer. He was nabbed by comparing DNA from the crimes to the DNA that the ancestry company (ies) had.

These DNA organizations have enough peoples’ DNA to track anyone in the world. When you take the test, you agree to releasing the information to the government or other organizations as the DNA company sees fit.

Everyones’ DNA is not a secret if the government has an interest in them, so I really don’t know what use it is resisting it.

That's how they got this guy too:

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/02/15/cold-case-suspect-in-1993-alaska-slaying-arrested-in-auburn/

I’m sure someone will figure out ways to abuse the info, but I have to believe that criminal cases will be much easier to solve with DNA identification hanging over the criminals heads.

That seems like a really good deterrent to committing crimes and is good for us all.

So you're for DNA registries but against gun registries?

So you're for DNA registries but against gun registries?
People register their DNA voluntarily. That’s up to them.

I’m not in favor of either being mandatory.

People register their DNA voluntarily. That’s up to them.

I’m not in favor of either being mandatory.

Let me help you with the distinction between the two activities. People can easily kill other people with their guns. Unless I am missing something, people will have a difficult time figuring out how to kill other people with their DNA.

Last edited:

I have no issue with DNA being used to track down criminals. These databases however sell their data to insurance companies. People are starting to be refused health and life insurance coverage based on dna held by distant relatives.

PS DNA science is strong but telling ethnicities from DNA is a complete guess.

PS DNA science is strong but telling ethnicities from DNA is a complete guess.

DNA science can tell ethnicities with a very high degree of accuracy. And the more people who use Ancestry websites the more accurate they are becoming. Furthermore, Ancestry websites will tell you whether you are actually related to someone or not. For example, my next door neighbor discovered her dad was not really her dad (she suspected it). And a first cousin of mine discovered he had a brother he didn't know about (he didn't suspect it).

Last edited:

Let me help you with the distinction between the two activities. People can easily kill other people with their guns. Unless I am missing something, people will have a difficult time figuring out how to kill other people with their DNA.
You’re missing something alright. The Constitution and an individual’s rights and freedoms.

We recently did the DNA tests through Ancestry. Seemed pretty accurate. What was really cool was I was able to build a pretty good family tree. I was able to go 12 generations out on my maternal grandfather’s side all the way to 1650 Luxembourg.

We recently did the DNA tests through Ancestry. Seemed pretty accurate. What was really cool was I was able to build a pretty good family tree. I was able to go 12 generations out on my maternal grandfather’s side all the way to 1650 Luxembourg.
I traced a fair amount of family using this website. Search known family members, then follow other family links back from there:

https://www.findagrave.com

Corporations are worse than government getting it. It'll get stolen at some point, it's almost guaranteed, which is worse than corporations controlling it to sell, test, lose, use against you, etc.

The government can do a number of things with it or lose it to someone. You're a smart guy.

Huh? The government ALREADY has access to every tid bit of information that exists about you.

Finger prints, medical history, credit history.....everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom