***OFFICIAL MICHIGAN VS MINNESOTA BTT SEMIFINALS IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Thought I recorded the game. Not sorry I didn't and missed it.

Gophers missed layups and free throws in the first half while the Wolverines made two of the ugliest 3's you will ever see. If the Gophers were going to win this game given their short bench and fatigue, that script had to be flipped around. I am not ok with an embarrassing loss like this, but that path to victory today was always going to be extremely narrow given the circumstances. Congrats to Michigan, they played a terrific game.

Every time Jarvis plays, I seem to get a bit more concerned for his future. He just seems to lack any feel for the game. Early in the first half he had a chance for a dunk and bizarrely attempted a double pump layup...with no need to do so. He got fouled and then put up some of the ugliest free throws you will ever see. Later in the game he took a nice pass inside and could not finish that one either. He's clearly very athletic, but it seems like his lack of feel keeps him from unlocking that athleticism. He's a freshman, and I am certainly not giving up on him, but the road to being a contributor (much less a starter) is a much longer one for Jarvis than I anticipated.

Isaiah Washington had 4 really nice passes during his time on the floor. It's disappointing to me that Coach Pitino hasn't found a way to get Isaiah to a point where he can trust him on the floor in even a 10 minute a game type role. He clearly has talent passing the ball and can get guys good looks. I feel like most other programs would have found a way to use him this year...or ran him off the team for not getting "it".

If there is a bright spot to this game for me it is that being embarrassed like this on national tv should have this team/program focused and motivated for their first NCAA game.

Gophers missed layups and free throws in the first half while the Wolverines made two of the ugliest 3's you will ever see. If the Gophers were going to win this game given their short bench and fatigue, that script had to be flipped around. I am not ok with an embarrassing loss like this, but that path to victory today was always going to be extremely narrow given the circumstances. Congrats to Michigan, they played a terrific game.

Every time Jarvis plays, I seem to get a bit more concerned for his future. He just seems to lack any feel for the game. Early in the first half he had a chance for a dunk and bizarrely attempted a double pump layup...with no need to do so. He got fouled and then put up some of the ugliest free throws you will ever see. Later in the game he took a nice pass inside and could not finish that one either. He's clearly very athletic, but it seems like his lack of feel keeps him from unlocking that athleticism. He's a freshman, and I am certainly not giving up on him, but the road to being a contributor (much less a starter) is a much longer one for Jarvis than I anticipated.

Isaiah Washington had 4 really nice passes during his time on the floor. It's disappointing to me that Coach Pitino hasn't found a way to get Isaiah to a point where he can trust him on the floor in even a 10 minute a game type role. He clearly has talent passing the ball and can get guys good looks. I feel like most other programs would have found a way to use him this year...or ran him off the team for not getting "it".

If there is a bright spot to this game for me it is that being embarrassed like this on national tv should have this team/program focused and motivated for their first NCAA game.

I'm actually more excited about his future today. His D was great. I'll take Miles Tarver 2.0

I'm actually more excited about his future today. His D was great. I'll take Miles Tarver 2.0

He's barely a poor man's Miles Tarver right now. I hope he can become as good as Tarver was but not expecting it.

I get what you are saying.
How many years of scholarships did we waste though?

We literally don’t have a point guard the coach feels comfortable playing.

Some due to off the court, some due to lack of talent, some due to bad luck

Here are some scholarship years wasted for whatever reason.
Konate - 4 years
Diedue (spelling) - 4 years
Stull - 1 year
Stockman - 1 year (transfer)
Carr - 1 year (transfer)
McNeil - 2 years
Gilbert - 1 year
Dorsey - 1 year
Washington - 2 years
Fitzgerald - 2 years
Hurt - 3 years
Harris - 1 year

You get 13 scholarships per year
So total that’s 23 years worth of scholarships in 6 years
That’s 29% of available scholarships in 6 years. If you eliminate tubby holdover scholarships that’s 12 scholarship years.
So 23/66 pitino offered scholarship years essentially wasted IMO
That’s 35%

Don’t know how that compares to other schools. Don’t know if it is all Richards fault. But it does partially lead to lack of depth IMO

Actually, as some of you know i follow several programs and go to more games and practices than anyone i know. The Gophers really do not have appreciably more failures in recruiting than those schools. Some the guys you listed are not wasted years. Many guys have smaller contributions than others and not everyone develops as well and some simply do not work out. Much more concerned about those that were known epic character fails.

I want to know who’s our shooting coach - mcbrayer’s bodys at an angle every time he shoots - at lot of the team has no form shooting fundamentals -

He never squares up or is always off balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's barely a poor man's Miles Tarver right now. I hope he can become as good as Tarver was but not expecting it.
It seems like he has no feel for the game offensively, can’t shoot at all and always is mistiming his jumps on rebounds. I really don’t see him as a meaningful player unless he drastically improves.

Omersa was regularly airballing free throws in high school. He is a horrendous shooter and probably won't get much better at it.

Luckily he's athletic and can contribute in other ways, he just won't ever score much.

I think some of you are missing the fact that basketball is a rhythm game. It is hard for any player who essentially not played in a full-speed real game in months to jump into game-day rhythm. Kind of silly to be judging given the context. I thought he looked good -- all things considered.

Appreciate all points. Not managing to get more bench players on the floor in roles led to today's big loss.

Last edited:

I think some of you are missing the fact that basketball is a rhythm game. It is hard for any player who essentially not played in a full-speed real game in months to jump into game-day rhythm. Kind of silly to be judging given the context. I thought he looked good -- all things considered.

I just don’t see it. Yes he’s very athletic with high energy but he’s not a natural basketball talent. Will he become significantly better over the next three years? I hope so but I really have my doubts.

Appreciate all points. Not managing to get more bench players on the floor in roles led to today's big loss.

This is probably ripe as a subject for a new thread, but the Gophers' BTT run was simply not sustainable because of their short bench / thin roster, and their prospects in the NCAAs are similarly shaky for the same reason. On one hand, part of the reason is injury (Curry, Stockman), but the bigger, self-inflicted problem is having so many scholarship players that the coach can't trust or chooses not to trust. That's a roster management theme that runs throughout his tenure and continues to rage.

This is probably ripe as a subject for a new thread, but the Gophers' BTT run was simply not sustainable because of their short bench / thin roster, and their prospects in the NCAAs are similarly shaky for the same reason. On one hand, part of the reason is injury (Curry, Stockman), but the bigger, self-inflicted problem is having so many scholarship players that the coach can't trust or chooses not to trust. That's a roster management theme that runs throughout his tenure and continues to rage.

Also the byproduct of having two transfers sitting out currently

Exactly. All throughout the season there were moments for more players to get minutes and experience. Now a player comes out for a few minutes and wild spectulation ensues about their capacity to play at all at this level, followed by incredulous comments about how people can question the coaches who know them best. Nonetheless, most of us have seen all the players game minutes, and many of us question the wisdom of cutting our roster down to such a select few while giving so little game time.
Matz's injury is now a reason we may not do well going forward (and didnt do well yesterday) but we've seen very little of him most of the season. When did he improve so much?

Exactly. All throughout the season there were moments for more players to get minutes and experience. Now a player comes out for a few minutes and wild spectulation ensues about their capacity to play at all at this level, followed by incredulous comments about how people can question the coaches who know them best. Nonetheless, most of us have seen all the players game minutes, and many of us question the wisdom of cutting our roster down to such a select few while giving so little game time.
Matz's injury is now a reason we may not do well going forward (and didnt do well yesterday) but we've seen very little of him most of the season. When did he improve so much?

You are very perceptive. I sense that you have some experience in coaching. Am I correct?

You are very perceptive. I sense that you have some experience in coaching. Am I correct?
Not sure if this is sarcasm, but I'll bite anyway.
No, but 40 years in education and supervision. And this is an educational institution before its a business.
This is Pitino's team, and it wasnt a random hand dealt to him. A good coach finds ways to get serviceable minutes out of most of his team members, and where we are in terms of what we can expect for skilled recruits, we HAVE to be able to develop most if not all our players. We cannot have a significant number of 'fails' we cannot 'trust' just sitting on the bench. He can't expect to only get the best pieces that he can trust, and he missed opportunities for trust and player development early in the non-con. He will have to 'coach up' and if he can't, well...

The thing that bothers me the most is when one of his recruits screws up and then gets yanked, never to see the floor again that day. No significant learning happens that way. Well, some learning happens but not the kind we want.

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but I'll bite anyway.
No, but 40 years in education and supervision. And this is an educational institution before its a business.
This is Pitino's team, and it wasnt a random hand dealt to him. A good coach finds ways to get serviceable minutes out of most of his team members, and where we are in terms of what we can expect for skilled recruits, we HAVE to be able to develop most if not all our players. We cannot have a significant number of 'fails' we cannot 'trust' just sitting on the bench. He can't expect to only get the best pieces that he can trust, and he missed opportunities for trust and player development early in the non-con. He will have to 'coach up' and if he can't, well...

The thing that bothers me the most is when one of his recruits screws up and then gets yanked, never to see the floor again that day. No significant learning happens that way. Well, some learning happens but not the kind we want.

It wasn't sarcasm. I was agreeing with what you were saying and it seemed like you had experience in developing roles for people on a team.

It wasn't sarcasm. I was agreeing with what you were saying and it seemed like you had experience in developing roles for people on a team.
I do, and a history in supporting people to realize their potential and consistently contribute. It's possible Pitino will improve in this area. I sincerely hope so.

I do, and a history in supporting people to realize their potential and consistently contribute. It's possible Pitino will improve in this area. I sincerely hope so.

I just wish i saw some self awareness and humility in Pitino re this issue. Instead he joked about how un-playable Gas was. That was infuriating and disheartening.

Top Bottom