Ky Thomas commits

He's gotta be stoked on becoming part of the Gophers. Everything is set up for him to run here.

Gophers have a pretty long record now of recruiting under-rated HS running backs, going back to Maroney and Barber.... and now 3 first raters.

Gophers have a pretty long record now of recruiting under-rated HS running backs, going back to Maroney and Barber.... and now 3 first raters.

I wish I hadn't missed this weeks ago - of course, I was in the stadium preparing to watch the PSU game while you were posting this drivel. Maroney was not underrated. Where do you come up with this garbage?

Any idea as to why he didn’t have better offers? Surprised more big teams didn’t try and get him. He’s been putting up huge numbers for years against what I can’t imagine is that bad of competition.

I watched all his JR Film last night - HOLY S%$* - If any of that skill translates to the BIG Look out!!! So excited!

Any idea as to why he didn’t have better offers? Surprised more big teams didn’t try and get him. He’s been putting up huge numbers for years against what I can’t imagine is that bad of competition.

Not the most well informed, but I'd like to think that since he jumped in the boat in June and has been active in recruiting other prospects, maybe his clear commitment to the Gophs scared others off as he blew up his senior year?

Offers are only known when players specifically report them to recruiting services OR publicly announce them on social media. It's possible he's just ignored any future offers and shut down his recruiting, so we didn't find out about other teams interest.

I watched all his JR Film last night - HOLY S%$* - If any of that skill translates to the BIG Look out!!! So excited!

Yeah, honestly he could put together an hour long highlight video and I’d watch the whole thing. I’m not sure he could squeeze all of his highlight worthy plays into an hour long video.

I don’t know what his 40 time is, but at times I think he doesn’t have elite speed, but every once in a while he shows another gear that he usually doesn’t need. I guess we’ll learn more about him soon.

Yeah, honestly he could put together an hour long highlight video and I’d watch the whole thing. I’m not sure he could squeeze all of his highlight worthy plays into an hour long video.

I don’t know what his 40 time is, but at times I think he doesn’t have elite speed, but every once in a while he shows another gear that he usually doesn’t need. I guess we’ll learn more about him soon.
The thing I like most is he's escaping from every defense in electric fashion - spin here - hurdle there - elite vision everywhere. He is the next Barry Sanders :eek::eek::eek::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::oops::oops::oops::censored::censored::censored::love::love::love::love::love:

Some of the things I don't know is the level of competition he's had in HS. All indications are, he is a legit back that may be a game changer.

We usually find out in a hurry once he gets his first college level hit. The speed of the game is different than in HS.

Red shirting will be a huge benefit for him where he can bulk up and work on team practices.

Some of the things I don't know is the level of competition he's had in HS. All indications are, he is a legit back that may be a game changer.

We usually find out in a hurry once he gets his first college level hit. The speed of the game is different than in HS.

Red shirting will be a huge benefit for him where he can bulk up and work on team practices.

All I know is he’s in the 6A class, and Daniel Jackson 4A. How competitive is HS football in Kansas, compared to MN?

I’m not concerned too much about his speed. I assume he does not have elite speed, since he was rated as a 3-star and was not recruited by the Alabama’s and Ohio State’s first the world. Guys with elite speed and elusiveness are few. If I can have only one of those two, I take elusiveness. This guy has that in great measure. The only thing I haven’t seen much of is his drive/power. I hope he has that too.

I’m not concerned too much about his speed. I assume he does not have elite speed, since he was rated as a 3-star and was not recruited by the Alabama’s and Ohio State’s first the world. Guys with elite speed and elusiveness are few. If I can have only one of those two, I take elusiveness. This guy has that in great measure. The only thing I haven’t seen much of is his drive/power. I hope he has that too.
Vision. Elite vision is irreplaceable. Not even elite speed really replaces that. I'll take vision, balance and body control any time if we're talking about abilities residing within the realm of pure ability. Next comes the ability to block and pick up the blitz. Combine all of that and you have an NFL back who can play every down.

Not the most well informed, but I'd like to think that since he jumped in the boat in June and has been active in recruiting other prospects, maybe his clear commitment to the Gophs scared others off as he blew up his senior year?
He actually committed in March.

I didn't see much drive/power runs - I did see a dude who loves contact, he was blowing up linebackers when pass blocking - pancake driving blocks. Impressive.

Jonathan Taylor has more mass.

Top Bottom