Ky Thomas commits

3 star on 247...

Happy to have him. Let me be the first to say Kansas is Gopher Country...

If coaches want him I want him. 3/4? Who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's rated the #34 RB in the 247 composite. If you look at the backs ahead of him, seems that many of them are going to power programs, and some of those schools have multiple guys. Also, he had an offer from Iowa, nice to beat them for a recruit. Welcome aboard.

I'll trust PJ's judgement on this. Sounds like a great recruit.
If he's as good as Mo Ibrahim was last year, we'll be great. If he can catch some passes, even better.

Woooooooooo!!!!!! Basketball wins and football lands a big time RB on the same day?!?

What is his speed? We always have tough, physical runners but it seems we don't break the homerun very often.

With our monster offensive lines we are going to have.........it would be nice to have someone who can run away!

Nice get for PJ and co! Ski U Mah

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wait, is he 3 star or 4 star? Oh screw it, welcome aboard!

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7620658/5bfc567502bca1089818b34c' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Early in the process. I bet he ends up a composite 4*

Super excited about this kid! He has some great moves. He uses hesitation and jump-cuts really well. He is getting his yards after contact. So many Hudl videos of running backs show guys running through big holes. Not this one. He reminds me of Barry Sanders in his moves and running style. Love this commitment!

Wait, is he 3 star or 4 star? Oh screw it, welcome aboard!

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7620658/5bfc567502bca1089818b34c' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

That first run all over the place reminds me of this:

Super excited about this kid! He has some great moves. He uses hesitation and jump-cuts really well. He is getting his yards after contact. So many Hudl videos of running backs show guys running through big holes. Not this one. He reminds me of Barry Sanders in his moves and running style. Love this commitment!

Seems to have nice vision and cut backs. Looks like a good RB! Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes elusiveness, good field vision, hesitation and change of speed, ability to wait for an opening to develop, instantaneous change of direction that this kid showed can just as dangerous as a fleet-footed runner.

I'm no roster management expert. Will he red shirt?

His hudl tape is more impressive than any RB we’ve landed since Rodney and JJ imo. Thomas was our top target and should be the only RB recruit in this class. It’s a great pickup for the staff.

Great highlights.

And some of those blocks he threw... WOW!

One of Matt Forte's lines was "fans like breakaway speed and yards per carry, but to see the field your coaches have to know you pickup the blitz". He was right, if you can't block, it's going to be hard to get playing time. Matt worked a lot on blocking when he was at Tulane. I think that's a big reason he made it to the NFL.

I'm no roster management expert. Will he red shirt?

Way too early to know. As far as the roster impact, I’m hoping it will eventually mean that we see Cam Wiley and Williamson at strong safety or OLB. We would have 7 scholarship RBs next year if someone doesn’t move (Mo, Williams, Edmonds, Potts, Wiley, Williamson and Thomas). That’s too crowded of a backfield.

One of Matt Forte's lines was "fans like breakaway speed and yards per carry, but to see the field your coaches have to know you pickup the blitz". He was right, if you can't block, it's going to be hard to get playing time. Matt worked a lot on blocking when he was at Tulane. I think that's a big reason he made it to the NFL.

That's exactly right.

A back who is willing and even eager to block is a back who enjoys being physical on the field.

From Maroney and Barber to Cobb, Rodney, Shannon and Mo Ibrahim, our Gopher backs have been tough, physical runners. They could and can take a pounding as well as dish out a hit.

Top Bottom