Oh boy... another win. Our NET will probably drop below 60 now

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
All of this winning is going to get us kicked out of the tournament as our NET goes down a couple points on every win.

Purdue will get a nice bump however.

All of this winning is going to get us kicked out of the tournament as our NET goes down a couple points on every win.

I hear Nebraska got a nice bump today too. Looked really efficient in their loss.

Our win will make Penn State's loss yesterday look even better. Look for them to rise.

Hope nobody's busy next Tuesday night it's going to be game time.

We're still below Nebraska and Penn State in KenPom after factoring in today's win. I'm sure the NET will be similar. Is the goal of the NET to pick the most deserving teams or the teams who are analytically the best? Sure it's nice to look at who has the most talented teams but the committee should pick teams who have truly earned a spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We're still below Nebraska and Penn State in KenPom after factoring in today's win. I'm sure the NET will be similar. Is the goal of the NET to pick the most deserving teams or the teams who are analytically the best? Sure it's nice to look at who has the most talented teams but the committee should pick teams who have truly earned a spot.

I’m sure they will.

The whole metric is dumb though. Counting quality wins by ranking teams by how good they “should” be rather than how good they are.

It's basically a giant YTD + - total points ranking. It's largely set by how big a margin you rack up in the cupcake portion of your non-conference. If we would have beaten our cupcakes by an overage of 22 instead of 12, our net ranking would be 10-15 spots higher with the exact same record.

It's basically a giant YTD + - total points ranking. It's largely set by how big a margin you rack up in the cupcake portion of your non-conference. If we would have beaten our cupcakes by an overage of 22 instead of 12, our net ranking would be 10-15 spots higher with the exact same record.
I believe it's capped at +- 10 points but same point. When they introduce a new metric and say it will be used in the selection process it worries me that you can have such weird results like this.

I believe it's capped at +- 10 points but same point. When they introduce a new metric and say it will be used in the selection process it worries me that you can have such weird results like this.

No your efficiency is never capped. So it's your entire + - for the entire season. And it's obviously a huge component of the formula. Nebraska lost like 12-14 but never dropped out of the top 50.

It’s not capped at 10

The margin of victory is capped at 10
But the largest part of the ranking is NET efficiency which measures average points per possession the whole year offensively and defensively.

If you beat a dog 100-35. The margin of victory only counts as 10, but all those possessions that gave you a 65 point victory count in efficiency, and efficiency is the largest conponent.

In fact, margin of victory counting at all is ridiculous, because using efficiency rating innately already counts margin of victory based on what you are measuring. NET DOUBLE COUNTS margin of victory up to 10 points

No your efficiency is never capped. So it's your entire + - for the entire season. And it's obviously a huge component of the formula. Nebraska lost like 12-14 but never dropped out of the top 50.

Correct.

The NCAA released language that the "margin of victory" bonus is capped at 10, but that's just the bonus on top of the efficiency rankings, which as it seems, appears to make up 95% of the formula. Whatever the formula is, actually winning a game isn't important, otherwise losing teams wouldn't be in the top 15% of all teams.

Correct.

The NCAA released language that the "margin of victory" bonus is capped at 10, but that's just the bonus on top of the efficiency rankings, which as it seems, appears to make up 95% of the formula. Whatever the formula is, actually winning a game isn't important, otherwise losing teams wouldn't be in the top 15% of all teams.

And this is what we are using to measure a quality win. Lol

It’s not capped at 10

The margin of victory is capped at 10
But the largest part of the ranking is NET efficiency which measures average points per possession the whole year offensively and defensively.

If you beat a dog 100-35. The margin of victory only counts as 10, but all those possessions that gave you a 65 point victory count in efficiency, and efficiency is the largest conponent.

In fact, margin of victory counting at all is ridiculous, because using efficiency rating innately already counts margin of victory based on what you are measuring. NET DOUBLE COUNTS margin of victory up to 10 points

Correct.

So knowing this now, you need to blow out non-conference opponents by 40 and 50 when you can, and not just 20-30. It makes a huge difference that will carry through the season.

We are 10th in the B1G in + / - at +2.5. We are 11th in the Net. Nebraska is still +5.4. PSU +1.0. They are the only exception.

My bad, I read the original comment wrong, you are correct.

B1G Net Rankings and +/ -:

8. MSU +13.6

9. Michigan +11.6

12. Purdue +9.4

16. Wisconsin +8.2

29. Maryland + 6.3

41. Iowa +5.5

47. Penn State +1.0

49. Nebraska +5.2

53. Indiana +3.8

55. Ohio State +3.4

57. Minnesota +2.5

91. Northwestern +0.8

101. Rutgers -0.9

109. Illinois -2.6

It corresponds with 1 exception. So basically the brilliant plan to replace the RPI is just to add total point scored and allowed. Genius.

Top Bottom