P.J. Fleck believes Minnesota will have one of the top offensive lines in the B1G

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Schutti:

When P.J. Fleck first arrived at Minnesota, the offensive line was one of the thinnest and weakest in the B1G. Now, the Gophers could have one of the strongest front lines in the league.

Minnesota enters spring practice coming off a 7-6 campaign, winning three of its final four games, including victories over rival Wisconsin and Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl. It returns a plethora of size, experience and depth on the offensive line, and three running backs who have at one time led the Gophers in rushing — Mohamed Ibrahim, Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks.

It’s the offensive line, though, that has Fleck most excited. He feels strongly that it’ll be the greatest strength for Minnesota next fall and could be one of the top units in the B1G.

“Remember, we had four when we got here. Two years later, I think we’re going to have one of the better offensive lines in the B1G. I feel that way,” Fleck told the media. “I think Brian Callahan has done has done a great job developing that unit very quickly.”

Guys like Daniel Faalele, Curtis Dunlap, Conner Olson and Blaise Andries will highlight the offensive line, but it’s really the quality depth the Gophers have up front that will be the significant difference. The added experience doesn’t hurt, either.

“We started three in the bowl game that were freshman, one was a sophomore,” Fleck said. “So, you have four underclassmen at the offensive line starting in that bowl game. There’s plenty of depth behind it.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...ve-one-of-the-top-offensive-lines-in-the-b1g/

Go Gophers!!

They had 4 healthy at times for spring, but obviously more for the fall. Not great depth at the time, either but already getting tired of hearing the 4 meme and it’s only March. Could be a long season.

LT is a huge question mark. Greene had it locked down the last three years and he was arguably Kills best recruit.

They had 4 healthy at times for spring, but obviously more for the fall. Not great depth at the time, either but already getting tired of hearing the 4 meme and it’s only March. Could be a long season.

Way to bury the lead. That was a tiny aspect of a story about how our coach is touting the O-Line as possibly being one of the best in the conference.

Way to bury the lead. That was a tiny aspect of a story about how our coach is touting the O-Line as possibly being one of the best in the conference.

He needs to stop annoying me, in other words. Agreed, we should be better going forward but I don’t want to hear his Horatio Alger story. Just win, PJ.

He needs to stop annoying me, in other words. Agreed, we should be better going forward but I don’t want to hear his Horatio Alger story. Just win, PJ.

Think it is pretty safe to assume that there is really nothing Fleck could say that wouldn't annoy you, outside of I guess saying nothing at all, but then that would probably annoy you because he wasn't giving out information. :)

It is a shame that some have gotten so jaded about Fleck that they can't hear a coach who is starting to talk about this program being one that should contend for the Big Ten title. He has really dialed back the rhetoric in a lot of ways from when he started here but you wouldn't know that by the way some bristle every time he opens his mouth.

No matter what Fleck says, he'll annoy someone. There is no way around it. Same goes to all the coaches in sports. Extremely annoying tough crowd.

Well, that didn't take long!

We started out with our coach telling us that we will have one of the best offensive lines in the B1G, and we somehow took it from there to Negative Town in just a handful of posts.

LT is a huge question mark. Greene had it locked down the last three years and he was arguably Kills best recruit.

I'm not worried about LT.

It'll come down to Dickson or Blaise.

Dickson is an unknown, but if he's good, he will likely start at LT and Blaise will stay inside.
If he isn't ready, Blaise can move over to LT and I don't have concern about that switch.

Let's try a slightly more reasonable approach:

The Gophers have the potential to have a very good OL.

BUT - there are also questions to be answered. Including: who plays LT? Who plays C? Does Andries play G or T? is Dickson a starter? Do any of the younger players have the ability to move into the rotation?

If most of those questions are answered positively, THEN the Gophers can be a very good OL. That's why you have spring ball, and why you have fall camp - to answer questions and figure out the lineup and depth chart.

We need to be an offensive line where the hole is wide open where we can break the really long runs once in a while. I'm talking 70 yard runs against quality competition.

I know some of that depends on the backs, but bucky for years could put anyone at running back and just maul and break off long runs.

If Swingman would have said this he would be called a troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's doing what he's hired to do, and as long as he wins I am not complaining.

Who will replace Jared Weyler has big shoes to follow. You hardly ever hear about him because he did the play calling for the O-Line well during the last few games. You only hear about these guys when things go wrong.

Feels like forever since we had great line play on either side... really would like that.

I'm not worried about LT.

It'll come down to Dickson or Blaise.

Dickson is an unknown, but if he's good, he will likely start at LT and Blaise will stay inside.
If he isn't ready, Blaise can move over to LT and I don't have concern about that switch.

Schlueter will have his chance to redeem himself this spring. If he loses the LT job to either you mention above, though, it would seem to me he will go the way of Oseland.

Myself, I would prefer that either Schlueter or Dickson win the LT job, and Andries wins the LG job. Then may the best between Olson or Schmitz win the center job. Dunlap and Faalele on the right side.

Schlueter will have his chance to redeem himself this spring. If he loses the LT job to either you mention above, though, it would seem to me he will go the way of Oseland.

Myself, I would prefer that either Schlueter or Dickson win the LT job, and Andries wins the LG job. Then may the best between Olson or Schmitz win the center job. Dunlap and Faalele on the right side.

Andries was a beast last year on the right side. Not sure why you think Dunlop has to play next to Dan. Yes he can move to LT, but if Dickson, Schlueter or even Guedet win the LT spot then may the best two between Dunlop, Olson and Schmitz fill in at Center and LG.

He annoys me at times, I annoy you. Fair enough. I read the stories because I’m genuinely interested in the team. It’s true, I could withhold my criticism.

The presence of Big Dan collapsing his side, an emerging Andries and Olsen and some talented/promising others gives great hope this can be a punishing group.

Andries was a beast last year on the right side. Not sure why you think Dunlop has to play next to Dan. Yes he can move to LT, but if Dickson, Schlueter or even Guedet win the LT spot then may the best two between Dunlop, Olson and Schmitz fill in at Center and LG.

It would be silly not to play Dunlap and Faalele next to each other. I think that's our right side for the next 2-3 years.

Yes, Andries could play and win the LT spot as well, but he's not quite "ideal" tackle height. I think he'll project as a guard in the NFL. That of course proves nothing for college. He could be very similar to Josh Campion.

We will see what happens!

OL aren’t plug n play robots. They play best when they have chemistry and experience with each other.

And plenty of time for others to build chemistry.

He's doing what he's hired to do, and as long as he wins I am not complaining.

Who will replace Jared Weyler has big shoes to follow. You hardly ever hear about him because he did the play calling for the O-Line well during the last few games. You only hear about these guys when things go wrong.

+1

People can have whatever thoughts they want on a coach's style or personality, but at the end of the day, we should judge them on record (assuming they aren't doing something illegal or unethical to get that record).

+1

People can have whatever thoughts they want on a coach's style or personality, but at the end of the day, we should judge them on record (assuming they aren't doing something illegal or unethical to get that record).

Yeah, Minnesotans don't like "showy" coaching personalities. The other way has worked so well.

Ever tried to follow the Gophers and not hear PJ? Trust me, it isn’t easy.

I agree with this.

I just think those who complain need some life coaching
For instance, I find PJ annoying but I know I can’t control it so I don’t let it bother me

I agree with this.

For instance, I find PJ annoying but I know I can’t control it so I don’t let it bother me

You seem to let a lot bother you so I’m skeptical of this ^. But please, continue beating your chest.

I agree with this.

I may print and frame this post.

Top Bottom