P.J. Fleck believes Minnesota will have one of the top offensive lines in the B1G

per Schutti:

When P.J. Fleck first arrived at Minnesota, the offensive line was one of the thinnest and weakest in the B1G. Now, the Gophers could have one of the strongest front lines in the league.

Minnesota enters spring practice coming off a 7-6 campaign, winning three of its final four games, including victories over rival Wisconsin and Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl. It returns a plethora of size, experience and depth on the offensive line, and three running backs who have at one time led the Gophers in rushing — Mohamed Ibrahim, Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks.

It’s the offensive line, though, that has Fleck most excited. He feels strongly that it’ll be the greatest strength for Minnesota next fall and could be one of the top units in the B1G.

“Remember, we had four when we got here. Two years later, I think we’re going to have one of the better offensive lines in the B1G. I feel that way,” Fleck told the media. “I think Brian Callahan has done has done a great job developing that unit very quickly.”

Guys like Daniel Faalele, Curtis Dunlap, Conner Olson and Blaise Andries will highlight the offensive line, but it’s really the quality depth the Gophers have up front that will be the significant difference. The added experience doesn’t hurt, either.

“We started three in the bowl game that were freshman, one was a sophomore,” Fleck said. “So, you have four underclassmen at the offensive line starting in that bowl game. There’s plenty of depth behind it.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...ve-one-of-the-top-offensive-lines-in-the-b1g/

Go Gophers!!

"Remember, we had four when we got here," It's a press conference and most Gopher fans fall into the "casual" classification IMO. Perfectly appropriate to tell those fans where they started.

"Two years later, I think we’re going to have one of the better offensive lines in the B1G. I feel that way,” Casual fan says that's good news.

“I think Brian Callahan has done has done a great job developing that unit very quickly.” Then he gives credit to the position coach.

Yeah, this is really annoying????

They had a bunch of guys recovering from surgeries and other issues that were day to day in the spring. It’s just not true they only had 4 lineman unless he meant for a few days at the start of spring and maybe here and there IIRC correctly. It depends on your POV but yes, IMO PJ will nearly always frame things in such a way that it approaches tall tale status for purposes of decreasing scrutiny or his skill as CEO whether it’s scholarship players, talent level, culture problems, percentage underclassmen, pay cuts. Man against Wild, uphill both ways,

I agree with this.

I just think those who complain need some life coaching
For instance, I find PJ annoying but I know I can’t control it so I don’t let it bother me

Is that a thing people expect to be able to do. Hear about a sports team and avoid the coach?

I agree with this.

For instance, I find PJ annoying but I know I can’t control it so I don’t let it bother me

It’s just like Gopherhole....I find you and others on here annoying but I don’t let it bother me.

It’s just like Gopherhole....I find you and others on here annoying but I don’t let it bother me.

Right. Just like I find ridiculous statements on here annoying, but just ignore them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OL aren’t plug n play robots. They play best when they have chemistry and experience with each other.

Andries and Faalele had great chemistry last season. Why break that up? So we can say some stupid thing about two IMG guys playing together like they did in HS?

Andries and Faalele had great chemistry last season. Why break that up? So we can say some stupid thing about two IMG guys playing together like they did in HS?

Sometimes couples just drift apart.

I agree with this.

You must have some control over NET, huh?

Because you say so?? LOL

Things worked out well in the bowl game from what I recall.

You are waaaay overplaying the “played together in HS” angle. Big Time. Do you also question why an NFL team would ever sign a free agent OL or trade for an OL as they just haven’t played together before?

It would be silly not to play Dunlap and Faalele next to each other. I think that's our right side for the next 2-3 years.

Yes, Andries could play and win the LT spot as well, but he's not quite "ideal" tackle height. I think he'll project as a guard in the NFL. That of course proves nothing for college. He could be very similar to Josh Campion.

We will see what happens!

Huh? I covered Andries in several HS games, and I've talked to him on a couple of occasions, so I think I can state for the record he is a solid 6'5" and probably 6'6" in cleats. How tall do you have to be to play OT? Plus, Andries has really good feet for a guy his size, and he moves well. that says OT to me. Guard is more of a brute strength/mauler position, IMHO.

Do you also question why an NFL team would ever sign a free agent OL or trade for an OL as they just haven’t played together before?

Apples to watermelon. Pros are pros. College is different, especially young college players.

You’re waaaaaay underselling the played together in HS angle.

Huh? I covered Andries in several HS games, and I've talked to him on a couple of occasions, so I think I can state for the record he is a solid 6'5" and probably 6'6" in cleats. How tall do you have to be to play OT? Plus, Andries has really good feet for a guy his size, and he moves well. that says OT to me. Guard is more of a brute strength/mauler position, IMHO.

I already addressed that in the rest of the post, you ignored for some reason.

Apples to watermelon. Pros are pros. College is different, especially young college players.

Proof some can overthink anything.

Andries was a beast last year on the right side. Not sure why you think Dunlop has to play next to Dan. Yes he can move to LT, but if Dickson, Schlueter or even Guedet win the LT spot then may the best two between Dunlop, Olson and Schmitz fill in at Center and LG.

Dunlap was on the right at spring practice and Andries was on the left.

Schlueter will have his chance to redeem himself this spring. If he loses the LT job to either you mention above, though, it would seem to me he will go the way of Oseland.

Myself, I would prefer that either Schlueter or Dickson win the LT job, and Andries wins the LG job. Then may the best between Olson or Schmitz win the center job. Dunlap and Faalele on the right side.

Schlueter would still get time at TE like last year and wold be the #1 OL off the bench if someone goes down. He'll still probably get a lot of PT. I don't think Oseland ever got any non special teams PT.

Schlueter would still get time at TE like last year and wold be the #1 OL off the bench if someone goes down. He'll still probably get a lot of PT. I don't think Oseland ever got any non special teams PT.

Schlueter at TE last season, for non short yardage, was a throw-away. Sorry, but it’s true.

Now that we will suddenly have a legit TE passing game, there should never be any reason for him to be in at TE outside short yardage.

If he is the #1 backup OT, he’ll only get to play significant non-garbage time reps if a starter gets hurt. Could happen, but it’s not the expectation. It just doesn’t work that way on the OL, like it does for many other positions.

Ever tried to follow the Gophers and not hear PJ? Trust me, it isn’t easy.

In this case it would have been extremely easy. The thread title indicated it was going to be about something Fleck said. If someone is always annoyed with what he says in press conferences, to the media, etc. you would think it would make sense to skip over it when you can.

Faalele didn't start playing FB until he got to IMG as a JR. Didn't play in a game until his senior year and then was a LT.
You are the one overselling something and that something is some myth about chemistry and playing alongside someone from HS. They were on the left side not the right like now. They played in 9 games similar to what Andries and Faalele did AND were on the right side LAST YEAR. Therefore the chemistry established between those two would be far greater than any chemistry between Dunlop and Faalele did in one season at IMG.
I'm not saying that Dunlop and Faalele can't or shouldn't play beside each other, but what I am saying is it is ridiculous of you to state that they should based on them playing together in HS as the main reason.
Right now Andries, Faalele and Olson are returning starters that are almost locks to start somewhere on the OL this coming season. Who fills in the other two spots and at what positions is going to be an interesting story line until game 1.

I thought you said college players should be paid and become pro. Make up your mind.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Hey G4L, how many passes did Brock catch from Zach last year? How many will he catch this year?
Why hasn't BA gotten more run as a WR in this offense, you know, because not only did he and Zach play together at IMG, they are also BROTHERS.
What better chemistry could there be than that?

Right now Andries, Faalele and Olson are returning starters that are almost locks to start somewhere on the OL this coming season. Who fills in the other two spots and at what positions is going to be an interesting story line until game 1.

Dunlap is starting at RG, next to Faalele, as it should be. Zero percent uncertainty there.

The interesting parts will be which two spots Andries and Olson start at, and if Dickson or Schmitz is the fifth starter.

They had 4 healthy at times for spring, but obviously more for the fall. Not great depth at the time, either but already getting tired of hearing the 4 meme and it’s only March. Could be a long season.

Are you ever happy?

They had a bunch of guys recovering from surgeries and other issues that were day to day in the spring. It’s just not true they only had 4 lineman unless he meant for a few days at the start of spring and maybe here and there IIRC correctly. It depends on your POV but yes, IMO PJ will nearly always frame things in such a way that it approaches tall tale status for purposes of decreasing scrutiny or his skill as CEO whether it’s scholarship players, talent level, culture problems, percentage underclassmen, pay cuts. Man against Wild, uphill both ways,

If you think Fleck is the only coach who tries to frame things to make himself and his staff look better you are not paying attention. Nearly all coaches do this, all the time. Fleck is a good story teller and he knows how to work the media which is why we get significantly more attention with him as head coach then we did under any of the previous regimes.

Those who think PJ is only about PJ will choose to find a negative motive in everything he says. It is unfortunate because what they are missing is a really positive coach who is already talking potential championships in year 3. Compare that to say Kill who flat out said it would take at least 6 years to be competitive.

Top Bottom