No Ref love for Jordan Murphy?

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
I've been a fan since the Burton/Newbern/Shikenenjanski days and i just can't for the life of me think of any other notable player who has ever gotten less love from officials, despite that other teams are clearly hanging all over him much of the time. Now, it doesn't surprise me when Gophers in general don't get favorable calls because we're just not a powerhouse team with that sort of influence - i get it. But considering all of the love Jordan DOES get from press and game announcers, it perplexes me how teams on the court are able to beat on him so much and so many of his physically contested drives end up in non-calls. Calling the game last night one of the crew even mentioned Murph had a 'call coming to him', and yet even with that he still got shafted on several drives where it seemed like he was obviously mauled.

Am I just being biased here or does anyone else see this when they're watching?

Consistent whistles is all I ask for........both ways.

Sure appears very, very hard at times, for the refs to do, however.

It's frustrating to watch. Murphy is a bona fide superstar in the Big Ten but gets treated like a freshman nobody by the refs. It's all because of the scrappy undersized **** he's been labeled as. If he looked like Happ he'd be at the line 5 more times per game.

I've been a fan since the Burton/Newbern/Shikenenjanski days and i just can't for the life of me think of any other notable player who has ever gotten less love from officials, despite that other teams are clearly hanging all over him much of the time. Now, it doesn't surprise me when Gophers in general don't get favorable calls because we're just not a powerhouse team with that sort of influence - i get it. But considering all of the love Jordan DOES get from press and game announcers, it perplexes me how teams on the court are able to beat on him so much and so many of his physically contested drives end up in non-calls. Calling the game last night one of the crew even mentioned Murph had a 'call coming to him', and yet even with that he still got shafted on several drives where it seemed like he was obviously mauled.

Am I just being biased here or does anyone else see this when they're watching?

Murphy's strength works against him. Some of the contact that would knock weaker players to the ground just doesn't seem to phase him which probably in turn leads to them not calling the foul.

Then again, who knows what to expect half the time with some of these refs. There was the play last night where Matz was holding the Penn State players arm and also hit him with his other arm and somehow that was not called a foul. Everyone in the arena could have called the foul on that play yet somehow the guys that are paid to do it couldn't see it.

I think the refs call him pretty fairly on the offensive end. he gets to the line a lot. Murphy also seeks fouls, i.e., he'll go up for a shot with the intent to draw a foul, and refs seem to reward him quite a bit for it.

Murphy definitely "flops" too. He'll fall to the floor and slide on his rear for added emphasis..

Murphy is a great player and deserves all the accolades he has and will get. don't think officiating has held him back in anyway

Ward gets breathed on. Foul. Murphy gets clobbered. That’s B1G basketball baby.

There was one karate chop across both arm stat was not called last night. It was rural and that is what the commentators were referencing.

Murphy's strength works against him. Some of the contact that would knock weaker players to the ground just doesn't seem to phase him which probably in turn leads to them not calling the foul.

Then again, who knows what to expect half the time with some of these refs. There was the play last night where Matz was holding the Penn State players arm and also hit him with his other arm and somehow that was not called a foul. Everyone in the arena could have called the foul on that play yet somehow the guys that are paid to do it couldn't see it.

I'm inclined to think similarly here. I wonder if he shouldn't actually bark a little more, but then again i don't really want him to change anything about his game either.

Basketball is clearly the toughest sport in my opinion to officiate. I'll stay out of this one.

It's amazing he does as well as he does inside offensively. He's really 6'5" and trying to work inside against guys consistently 5 or more inches taller every game. He's Charles Barkley without the jump shot.

If you read other teams' message boards they all think Murphy gets away with everything defensively and gets way too friendly whistles on the other end... I don't think they are right in they're assessment, but I don't think Murphy is screwed over by the refs... somewhere in between is probably the truth

So I'm probably biased then. ;)

I just remember a certain series of plays where i thought Murph was getting hacked pretty hard, and then on a subsequent play on the other end there was an extremely ambiguous foul called against us. Stevens had gone to drive from the arc and as soon as he arrived at the top of the key, a foul was called the moment he got near a Gopher, despite that there didn't appear to be any contact whatsoever - absolute ghost call - sort of blew my mind. Wished i had TVO to replay it.

I think the calls on Murphy have been fair this year. Some bad no calls here and there but he's also gotten away with a lot on the defensive end. If anything, that helps Murphy because it keeps him on the floor.

Top Bottom