Matz

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
Matz had a pretty good game last night. Got beat on D a few times but 4pts, 5 asst, and 4 rebounds. and turned many dribble drives around last night.

Good for the guy!

Looked to be a better option than Oturo for much of the game. His minutes were mostly effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im not an analytics guy, but it would be interesting to know what the team's defensive rating would be with him on the court vs not on the court.

Play him!!

Oturu is a true freshman. He can’t carry the entire load himself. Need them both!

Matt needs to grab the ball instead of tip passing rebounds and stuff. But yes, he played well. I like Matz. Wish he was a sophomore so we'd have him for a couple more years.

Looked to be a better option than Oturo for much of the game. His minutes were mostly effective.

Oturu was a pretty big negative on the defensive end last night. Looked lost and confused at times. Was a bit disappointing as most of us have pretty high expectations of him I'd think. I'll chalk it up to being a Frosh.

It's fun to see the guy contribute more as his college career winds down. We've needed him for sure.

I'm honestly a little perplexed why Matz didn't get more playing time throughout the season. He played well at the start of the year, and then was kinda just sat down really for no reason. He was a better player than Curry this year and it wasn't close. Good he is getting in there and making a difference now though. Wish we had him for next year. I think Pitino finally realizes what a big part this guy can play when you give him time.

Imagine if he had transferred. I’m all for giving Matz more playing time.

He's been solid all year. The real question is why didn't he play more all along. Curry was never playing so well as to warrant Matz getting no minutes for several games.

I think Curry's upside is greater than Matz's. Pitino was trying to get Curry up to speed and it never worked out because of injury. Oturu also was playing really well!

I'm honestly a little perplexed why Matz didn't get more playing time throughout the season. He played well at the start of the year, and then was kinda just sat down really for no reason. He was a better player than Curry this year and it wasn't close. Good he is getting in there and making a difference now though. Wish we had him for next year. I think Pitino finally realizes what a big part this guy can play when you give him time.

One of the perplexing moves by Pitino.

Curry looked largely immobile this year, really a shell of his pre-injury self. I agree we should've been seeing more of Matz backing up Oturu earlier in the middle of the B1G season. Oturu was playing really well for a long stretch as well, it seems like he is hitting that freshman wall.

Either way, Matz peaking at the perfect time.

Not too upset by how the Center minutes have been allocated this season. Pitino wanted to get Curry's legs under him. Didn't happen. Matz has looked amazing the past couple weeks, so it appears his extended stretch of DNP did not hurt his conditioning or his feel for the game.. So all on all, really happy with how this all worked out. The Gophers have a 7-man rotation going into the tournament. That's pretty good! I wonder if Stockman and Oturu can share the floor together if Murphy get's into foul trouble.. The one thing we've been fortunate with since Curry was injured for the season this year was that Murphy has escaped foul trouble. If Murphy commits some early fouls in the tournament what does Pitino do? play Omersa for extended time? or can we rely on Oturu at the 4?

People are making decisions about playing time in January with information available in March. Makes it so much easier, anyway.

Matz is under percussion protcol. Might not be available for tomorrows game. Guess the ref's missed the call

Matz is under percussion protcol. Might not be available for tomorrows game. Guess the ref's missed the call

The concern is that this will affect his NCAA availability. He's not a starter, but this team isn't deep. Same kind of bad luck as two years ago.

People are making decisions about playing time in January with information available in March. Makes it so much easier, anyway.

Good stuff. You nailed it.

I am afraid they might mistake his being Norwegian for being concussed.

Speechless, easily distracted, and can’t make eye contact... sounds Norwegian to me. He did get his bean clonked pretty hard, though. I was shocked they didn’t have an ice bag waiting for him when he got to the bench.

Speechless, easily distracted, and can’t make eye contact... sounds Norwegian to me. He did get his bean clonked pretty hard, though. I was shocked they didn’t have an ice bag waiting for him when he got to the bench.

In Norway, they pack your coconut in iced herring.

He went straight to the locker room after it.

I am guessing we are gonna see some Hurt and Omersa tomorrow.

Percussion protocol is mandatory for ear drum injuries.

Hurt playing 90 seconds the past two days should give him fresh legs. Confused as to why he has played so little but still played. I like Hurt. We’ll need him.

I said this throughout the B1G season. pitino nearly (should have?) cost himself his job for playing Curry over Matz. It’s little surprise they are a much better team since he regained minutes.

Puzzled about the concussion thing. Matz played a LOT of minutes after he got hit in the head. What’s up with that? They must not have thought it was a big deal at that point.

Top Bottom