Lunardi Updated 3/15/19 AM Gophers still a #10 vs Wofford

That’s the one.

It was a bad joke. Sorry. I like to expand the time horizon because we're from Minnesota and we have nothing else but long droughts of mediocrity. We've been to the tournament 13 times and are 13-13. So if we're in we have a 50% shot of winning a game. I like it

Again - realism is not pessimism

Correct, but confidently saying we are going to lose before we even know who we are playing is an example of pessimism.

Here is the definition of pessimism so you can use it correctly in the future:
"a tendency to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen; a lack of hope or confidence in the future."

Discussing which seed is more favorable does not equal irrational optimism. Statistically more 10/11 seeds make the Sweet 16 than 8/9's. For once we get to discuss seeding instead of whether we will make it. Why the need to jump in and crap all over it?

Because he's an optimist! :rolleyes:

Lunardi just knocked us down to last 4 byes.

I hope we don't get snubbed into a play in game.

Correct, but confidently saying we are going to lose before we even know who we are playing is an example of pessimism.

Here is the definition of pessimism so you can use it correctly in the future:
"a tendency to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen; a lack of hope or confidence in the future."

Some people try to fool themselves into thinking that if they are pessimistic then they will not be disappointed if their team loses. They still get upset with a loss and end up not supporting their team. I would rather be optimistic and hope for the best.

How is that even possible? He just spend the last three days saying beating Penn State would be an excellent win as they are Quad 1. So beating a Quad 1 team gives you a worse seed?

I think it was due to the A-10 losing VCU. Now they will have another lower seeded team as an auto-qualifier that doesn't play in the first four. His bracket now has Davidson as a 13th seed (or likely anybody else that wins that tournament). Then somebody dropped off the bottom (Belmont, I believe) and everybody else moved down a slot toward the last four in.

Last edited:

I'll take Wofford in Rd 1. Gophers would be their best win all year. Not a bad deal for a prospective 10 seed.

Xavier winning and Buffalo in a tight game. A few less upsets please.

So that puts is on the 8/9 line now after that win tonight?

So that puts is on the 8/9 line now after that win tonight?

No we're in the play-in games now. That's how it seems to be trending.

What do folks think is the max seed, if the Gophers won the tourney beating Michigan and MSU this weekend? 6/7?

What do folks think is the max seed, if the Gophers won the tourney beating Michigan and MSU this weekend? 6/7?

I’d like to think winning the whole thing puts us up to 6 but if I were betting I’d say 7. I think we’re gonna end up 8/9 with a loss tomorrow or Sunday.

7 max I'd say. They're not going to move you up 5-6 seeds for a hot week-end.

Win it all: 6-7
Runner up: 7-8
Lose tomorrow: 8-9

It's really, really stupid to worry about seeding when your team is lucky to even be playing in the Tournament.

We are not "lucky to be in the tournament", and why shouldn't we worry about seeding? Why are you on a message board if you don't want to talk about stuff like that?

We are not "lucky to be in the tournament", and why shouldn't we worry about seeding? Why are you on a message board if you don't want to talk about stuff like that?

I agree. It's not luck. If anything we're unlucky that this new metric comes along and it doesn't value our stats.

Again - realism is not pessimism. I'm hoping that the Gophers win, but it's not likely - whether your basis is the past 29 years of Gophers basketball or solely watching the performance of this year's team.

Good lord you're a a giant, self-absorbed loser.

Go eat some Doritos and drink a Coke to calm down.

If we beat Michigan and then beat Michigan St in a final, (depending on other games) we could possible get up to #5, but 6 would be most likely.
Those wins would be big resume changers.

Otherwise I agree with what Matt said.

Win it all: 6-7
Runner up: 7-8
Lose tomorrow: 8-9

I agree. It's not luck. If anything we're unlucky that this new metric comes along and it doesn't value our stats.

Currently by that old rotten RPI number, we are now 37. Which is tournament bid without luck.

Lunardi still has the gophers as a 10, but now playing Louisville. Also put the gophers in the Last 4 Byes column and I don’t think he had them there this morning. Maybe he didn’t like getting called out?

Lunardi still has the gophers as a 10, but now playing Louisville. Also put the gophers in the Last 4 Byes column and I don’t think he had them there this morning. Maybe he didn’t like getting called out?

Pretty sure lundardi is lazy and also isn’t as good as many others

Lol. He moved them up 1 spot after a neutral court win against a top 15 NET team. Definitely responding to being called out by Pitino. I bet that changes before his final bracket.

Top Bottom