Lunardi Updated 3/15/19 AM Gophers still a #10 vs Wofford

Although I am disappointed with the seed,it's better to avoid #1 seeds in a potential second round match up and I'd be happy with this match up in round one. In that bracket, the other #7 seeds are Louisville, Cincy, and ISU. I'd prefer to avoid Louisville out of that group. I just think Louisville is the clear top team out of that group. In general, I hope the Gophers can avoid playing a team with a big, athletic front line and/or a really dynamic lead guard. Maryland is kind of the Gophers kryptonite in this regard as they have Fernando and company to really bother Murphy down low and Cowan to run the show who the Gophers don't have an answer for defensively.

So who's ready for the selection show? Me!! Raise the roof! Gophers being in it makes this time of the year even more enjoyable

I actually like that matchup, might be best to stay there

Gotta love the Gophers fan base. We've won one Tournament game in 29 years and we're worried about who our second-round matchup would be.

I actually like that matchup, might be best to stay there

Me, too, for a number of reasons. This is the kind of matchup that should attract interest because it pits a mid-major with an outstanding record against a power conference team with a fair record. Depending upon the outcome of this game, people will argue that Wofford was either under-appreciated or overrated.

Gotta love the Gophers fan base. We've won one Tournament game in 29 years and we're worried about who our second-round matchup would be.

x100 - we should be so lucky to be in second round. You worry about who you play when youre a top 5-10 team going for a championship

The guy who won bracket matrix last year has us at 10.

The 7 Seeds
Cincinnati, Iowa State, Wofford, Louisville

The 8 Seeds
UCF, VCU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma

The 9 Seeds
Iowa, Baylor, Washington, Seton Hall

The 10 Seeds
Syracuse, Minnesota, Utah State, St. John’s

Perhaps he would have us matching up against Wofford as well.

if we are matched against Wofford, are we the top #10 seed?

That would really be something to be excited about!

It's why so many of us pick the Gophers to win their first round games when they do make the tournament....double the disappointment.

False, they have won alot more than that I count Clem Haskins and so should everyone else. The big boys get away with it, we should have too. Also, this is a message board. It gives people something to talk about.

Also PS - WE WILL WIN OUR FIRST ROUND GAME!!!

What a dumb post. Why wouldn't fans get excited and hope for a run? Do you actually think how our teams have done over the previous 29 years directly influences our chances for this year? Have you boycotted the tournament over that span and not realized that lower seeds make runs all the time? Should we be mad and not hope that we win a game or two?

What a dumb post. Why wouldn't fans get excited and hope for a run? Do you actually think how our teams have done over the previous 29 years directly influences our chances for this year? Have you boycotted the tournament over that span and not realized that lower seeds make runs all the time?

Get excited and hope for a run all you want. It's really, really stupid to worry about seeding when your team is lucky to even be playing in the Tournament.

How the Gophers have done over the previous 29 years doesn't impact the team's chances for this year, but for a sensible person, it should have long taught you by now to manage your expectations. This fanbase, time and again, leads with the chin and has exceedingly high expectations that don't match reality, and then get upset when the teams, time and again, don't meet those unrealistically high expectations. And yet people don't learn. This is true for most sports here. After a scintillating 7-6 run last year, the football board recently had a thread where many expect the team to contend for the West division. Again, that's fine, but it's unrealistic and those fans will be pissed when it almost certainly doesn't happen. There was a thread yesterday on the women's basketball board saying that if we sign Bueckers, we will be "ESPN darlings" and contend for national titles.

It's their right to do that, and it's my right to comment on how stupid it is. It's sort of the equivalent of touching the hot oven over and over again and continually wondering why you get burned each time. Most people figure out quickly not to touch the oven, but this fanbase wants to keep doing it.

if we are matched against Wofford, are we the top #10 seed?

That would really be something to be excited about!

Past the #1 and #2 seeds there's no "ranking" of seed lines. It's about avoiding inter-conference match-ups etc.

Get excited and hope for a run all you want. It's really, really stupid to worry about seeding when your team is lucky to even be playing in the Tournament.

How the Gophers have done over the previous 29 years doesn't impact the team's chances for this year, but for a sensible person, it should have long taught you by now to manage your expectations. This fanbase, time and again, leads with the chin and has exceedingly high expectations that don't match reality, and then get upset when the teams, time and again, don't meet those unrealistically high expectations. And yet people don't learn. This is true for most sports here. After a scintillating 7-6 run last year, the football board recently had a thread where many expect the team to contend for the West division. Again, that's fine, but it's unrealistic and those fans will be pissed when it almost certainly doesn't happen. There was a thread yesterday on the women's basketball board saying that if we sign Bueckers, we will be "ESPN darlings" and contend for national titles.

It's their right to do that, and it's my right to comment on how stupid it is. It's sort of the equivalent of touching the hot oven over and over again and continually wondering why you get burned each time. Most people figure out quickly not to touch the oven, but this fanbase wants to keep doing it.

What is stupid is attributing high-mindedness to anything surrounding sports. Fans hope for the best, who cares. Sports are dumb and allow people to focus their negative/nervous energy somewhere else in their life. None of this matters, it's a distraction. Have fun people.

For some of you this must be your first interaction with dpodoll. This is actually a very optimistic post for him.

eeyore-excited-meme.jpg

It's OK to hope for the best. It's also OK to hold the athletic department at the University to some kind of standards. This is a Big Ten University. It should be expected that your BBall program will run to the sweet sixteen or that your football program will win a division title once in awhile. That doesn't mean people believe that is where we are at right now. But lowering expectations and accepting mediocrity doesn't do you any good either. This is not a mid major program.

For some of you this must be your first interaction with dpodoll. This is actually a very optimistic post for him.

View attachment 6045

Come back and lecture me when you figure out the difference between pessimism and realism. I'm actually a very optimistic person. Out of a group of around 15 close friends from undergrad at the U (all of whom are huge sports fans), I'm one of two who actually follow the Gophers - the rest have all given up on them and openly mock the teams. Many of the fans here are certifiable. As I've stated multiple times now - it's their right to be ridiculous, as it is my right to make fun of them for being ridiculous.

It's OK to hope for the best. It's also OK to hold the athletic department at the University to some kind of standards. This is a Big Ten University. It should be expected that your BBall program will run to the sweet sixteen or that your football program will win a division title once in awhile. That doesn't mean people believe that is where we are at right now. But lowering expectations and accepting mediocrity doesn't do you any good either. This is not a mid major program.

"Accepting mediocrity" is a meaningless buzz phrase that people say to sound cool. None of us has any power to control the outcomes of the games.

It's really, really stupid to worry about seeding when your team is lucky to even be playing in the Tournament.
Why? If you acknowledge that your team is flawed, isn't that more reason to worry about seeding and hope that you get the best matchup possible? I'd worry less about seeding and who we got paired with if I was convinced we were going all the way regardless.

You are clearly confusing the difference between hoping for a run and expecting a run. We are hoping for a run, and our best chance to do that is by getting an ideal seed/matchup.

Didn't we beat UCLA in 2013 to get to the round of 32?

You are clearly confusing the difference between hoping for a run and expecting a run. We are hoping for a run, and our best chance to do that is by getting an ideal seed/matchup.

Cool cool cool. When we get a 10 seed and get bounced by whatever 7 seed we face, I expect not to see any posts lamenting how if only we'd had an 8 seed we could've beaten that one weak 9 seed, and how we got screwed on seeding.

Cool cool cool. When we get a 10 seed and get bounced by whatever 7 seed we face, I expect not to see any posts lamenting how if only we'd had an 8 seed we could've beaten that one weak 9 seed, and how we got screwed on seeding.

Really proving that claim that you are a "very optimistic person".

Really proving that claim that you are a "very optimistic person".

Again - realism is not pessimism. I'm hoping that the Gophers win, but it's not likely - whether your basis is the past 29 years of Gophers basketball or solely watching the performance of this year's team.

+1. This whole post was excellent. Well done Dpo!

Again - realism is not pessimism. I'm hoping that the Gophers win, but it's not likely - whether your basis is the past 29 years of Gophers basketball or solely watching the performance of this year's team.

Discussing which seed is more favorable does not equal irrational optimism. Statistically more 10/11 seeds make the Sweet 16 than 8/9's. For once we get to discuss seeding instead of whether we will make it. Why the need to jump in and crap all over it?

Top Bottom