It’s a shame a team better than the gophers

Some guy

Reaction score
Like Penn State will miss the tourney while the gopher make it.

F U NET Rankings

It is known (Game of Thrones anyone?)

Penn State (41) is still ahead of the Gophers in KenPom (46). I am certainly not a huge fan of this Gophers squad, but other teams rated above the Gophers that I'd certainly like their chances against: Indiana, Nebraska, Utah State, Oklahoma, Iowa (34!), North Carolina State (32!!), Saint Mary's, Clemson, Texas (29 at 16-16!). Those are just the teams I'd favor (even if just slightly) the Gophers over ranked above them and I am only looking at teams I've seen play.

I'd take everyone but Northwestern in the B1G over NC State from what I've seen of that group..and they beat Clemson yesterday.

Penn State (41) is still ahead of the Gophers in KenPom (46). I am certainly not a huge fan of this Gophers squad, but other teams rated above the Gophers that I'd certainly like their chances against: Indiana, Nebraska, Utah State, Oklahoma, Iowa (34!), North Carolina State (32!!), Saint Mary's, Clemson, Texas (29 at 16-16!). Those are just the teams I'd favor (even if just slightly) the Gophers over ranked above them and I am only looking at teams I've seen play.

I'd take everyone but Northwestern in the B1G over NC State from what I've seen of that group..and they beat Clemson yesterday.
Gophers would be hard pressed to be favorites on a neutral court over any of those teams other than maybe St. Marys.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's been a weird year on all kinds of levels, and so many teams including ours have been so inconsistent, especially in conference play. Taking a step back, though, that might be what I'd have expected from a highly rated and uniformly talented conference, which we are. These teams have been punching each other all season, and everyone's been capable of beating anyone. If I were the selection committee, I'd be tempted to trust the numbers and take as many as 11 teams from the B1G. Hadn't there been talk of taking 10 at one time, before they all started beating each other up?

Want inconsistent?

How about that Maryland squad?

F U NET Rankings
Not sure how a nice stretch of 10 games makes penn state better and this unbelievable team lately. Every team in big ten has had a nice 10 game stretch this year. They haven't even beaten us this year in two tries. Why the love fest for a 14-18 team? They have some nice players, but so does everyone else.

F U NET Rankings

The gophers beat them both times they played this year and they have the better overall record. Kind of makes sense.

Ncaa looks at overall record not a hot streak...lesson learned

The gophers beat them both times they played this year and they have the better overall record. Kind of makes sense.

Absolutely makes sense. I suppose if the Gophers beat them again today for a third time some posters would call for raising them higher relative to the Gophers in Kenpom or some other ranking set.

OP blames net rating for a 14-18 team missing the tournament.

F U NET Rankings

Penn State has a losing record. Won 14 games this year. Minnesota won 20. Minnesota has a better big ten record as well and beat them twice in head to head games. MN clearly the better team.

This is probably the dumbest thread ever posted on this site.

The NET system is obviously flawed and gives way too much credit for close losses. In this case, 18 of them.

Don't go away mad, just go away.

The NET system is obviously flawed and gives way too much credit for close losses. In this case, 18 of them.

THIS ^^^

Ya it’s a travesty this 14 win Penn State team is not dancing.

great humor for a Friday morning, thanks:)

I’m pretty sure OP is being sarcastic. He’s not seriously arguing that Penn State is better than Minnesota, he’s saying that a ranking system that puts a 14-28 team above us is very flawed. He’s criticizing the NET, not the Gophers.

I’m pretty sure OP is being sarcastic. He’s not seriously arguing that Penn State is better than Minnesota, he’s saying that a ranking system that puts a 14-28 team above us is very flawed. He’s criticizing the NET, not the Gophers.

Shhh! Don't let them in on it.

If anything, the two games added validation to the math models. The models suggest the two teams are close, and the two games support that

Even better, the math models say those are two quality wins. Frankly, I’d rather have it this way than two close wins over a team the math models suggest is inferior

So, after the Gophers beat Penn State and pick up another Quad 1 win...

Nittany Lions CLIMB 2 spots in the NET

Gophers DROP 1 spot...

So, after the Gophers beat Penn State and pick up another Quad 1 win...

Nittany Lions CLIMB 2 spots in the NET

Gophers DROP 1 spot...

That almost doesn't make sense, but you are right.

So we beat them and went up a spot to 57 and they dropped down two spots to 47? WTF. How is that even possible?

So we beat them and went up a spot to 57 and they dropped down two spots to 47? WTF. How is that even possible?

Can you win a game against an opponent but be "less efficient" than them?

It's really odd that this can happen.
In RPI, you can play a weak team, win and your RPI will go down, but it's usually SOS related.
PSU being a top 50 team should not negatively affect our rating from an SOS standpoint.

:)

NET isn't the only thing that has PSU ranked higher. Sagarin did too until we beat them yesterday. Let's face it, Penn State is pretty good, especially lately, which makes yesterday's win pretty impressive.

Top Bottom