To my fellow Pitino "haters"

here's my thought:

Let's say someone other than Pitino had been hired 6 years ago. IF the Gophers had the exact same record over the last six years, but the coach was perceived as being a jerk, or unlikable, then I think there would be a strong consensus to make a change.

I think that a lot of people like Pitino on a personal level - even people who think his coaching or recruiting has been less than ideal. And that personal connection is working on his behalf.

Pitino seems like a good dude. I'm just not sure he's a good coach. and that creates the situation that I think a lot of fans are in right now.

He’s 36 years old and has two NCAA appearances. He’s a good coach. You just want a “better coach.” Easier said than done. What Pitino has done here thus far solidifies him as a good coach.

Well, Pitino's probably going to have to have more winning conference record seasons to do so. I am hoping some of Wisconsin's recent lackluster recruiting classes eventually catch up with them. But at worst they still will probably be 500 in conference or slightly better with the system they play. Injuries to starters may be the only reason they ever finish with a losing record like last season.

I wonder what they will look like without happ

He’s 36 years old and has two NCAA appearances. He’s a good coach. You just want a “better coach.” Easier said than done. What Pitino has done here thus far solidifies him as a good coach.

That's a pretty low bar for definition of a good coach. Musselman and Dutcher both fit the better coach definition, and have ties to the U

If we crap out this spring, then Pitino is done next year, and he knows it.

Last edited:

I know it doesn’t fit your agenda, but how many Gopher BB coaches have made it to the NCAA tournament more than Pitino has?

Just two.

Clem had 6 appearances (4 were vacated because of academic fraud so it only counts as 2). Tubby had 3 appearances, with all other coaches in the tournament era with 1 or none.

Pitino hasn’t achieved as much as we all want yet, but I think he is improving the program. The next few years will show who has the better judgement on Pitino’s abilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know it doesn’t fit your agenda, but how many Gopher BB coaches have made it to the NCAA tournament more than Pitino has?

Just two.

Clem had 6 appearances (4 were vacated because of academic fraud so it only counts as 2). Tubby had 3 appearances, with all other coaches in the tournament era with 1 or none.

Pitino hasn’t achieved as much as we all want yet, but I think he is improving the program. The next few years will show who has the better judgement on Pitino’s abilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smugness and intelligence are not interchangeable.

I like your optimism, but don't necessarily share it. Curry was extremely disappointing this year. I realize he was coming back from an injury, but at this point any production we get from him is a bonus and shouldn't be counted on. Oturu, Coffey and Gabe will be the core - they should all be better and that's the core of the team. Carr should hopefully be an upgrade given we basically didn't have a PG this year, but who knows. Willis didn't do much at Vanderbilt. We have almost zero front court depth - Omersa needs to develop an offensive game. And we have no shooter other than Gabe. There are a lot of holes on the roster.

Willis Is still a better shooter than anyone other than Gabe on our roster. Also be interesting to see I feel Battle from DE opens up his recruitment. He's a great shooter. Worry about him athletically though in the B10, but i did have the same worries about Gabe too.

Last edited:

That's a pretty low bar for definition of a good coach. Musselman and Dutcher both fit the better coach definition, and have ties to the U

How many years will it take for Musselman or Dutcher to get us to the big tournament?

Top Bottom