To my fellow Pitino "haters"

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Please excuse my presumptuousness in speaking for us as a group.

Many of us wanted him gone. We all know the reasons why so there is no reason to rehash them here.

As far as this season, the question is: Did Pitino do enough to save his job? I think the answer is a clear "Yes." The team will have at least 20 wins this year and a very likely NCAA tournament appearance; that's a significant one-year turnaround. At least 20 wins is pretty good with this team (which, let's face it, did not have much depth in talent) in a very competitive conference and tonight was a gutsy win, warts and all.

So, I feel fine cheering for as much success as possible for the team (and the coach) for the rest of this year. At this point, I'm not terribly optimistic about next year, so we can commence bitching about Pitino and begging for him to be fired then.

Many of us wanted him gone. We all know the reasons why so there is no reason to rehash them here.

As far as this season, the question is: Did Pitino do enough to save his job? I think the answer is a clear "Yes." The team will have at least 20 wins this year and a very likely NCAA tournament appearance; that's a significant one-year turnaround. At least 20 wins is pretty good with this team (which, let's face it, did not have much depth in talent) in a very competitive conference and tonight was a gutsy win, warts and all.

So, I feel fine cheering for as much success as possible for the team (and the coach) for the rest of this year. At this point, I'm not terribly optimistic about next year, so we can commence bitching about Pitino and begging for him to be fired then.

This is very a very Minnesotan post. Can you guys ever enjoy anything?

Bingo!!! +100

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have been one who called for him to be fired in the past and I’m really really not psyched about some of the recruiting momentum, but he absolutely has saved his job with this run. Good for him. I hope we get some breaks and have a run to remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been one who called for him to be fired in the past and I’m really really not psyched about some of the recruiting momentum, but he absolutely has saved his job with this run. Good for him. I hope we get some breaks and have a run to remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto.

Well, I'm sure that puts his mind at ease.

Well, I'm sure that puts his mind at ease.

Insipid and gratuitous reply. Obviously, the post wasn't addressed to Pitino. I'm sure he's happy as a clam after tonight's game. Why is it that people like you can't be more clever than you are? Were you just born with these limitations or have you been working on them your whole life?

Last edited:

He’s back. Could be his best team next year. Try enjoy it

He’s back. Could be his best team next year. Try enjoy it

Well, he'll have to get really busy on spring recruiting. Pull in a two or three good (or even decent) recruits and even I'll be a believer.

Ideally, the Gophers have a great NCAA run which prompts someone else to hire him away from us.

Well, he'll have to get really busy on spring recruiting. Pull in a two or three good (or even decent) recruits and even I'll be a believer.

That is your uninformed opinion. The year is not over and there are still a lot of good players that he is most certainly talking to that you are not aware of, but let's not let that stop you from being upset and making a stink about it.

Probably an impossible request, but it would be nice if we could just let the season play out before starting a new fire Pitino thread after any particular game.

I'm not calling for a lifetime contract for Pitino but it was nice to see how this team finished given how toxic some of the fan base had turned.

Holy passive aggressiveness in this thread.

I have always liked Rick Jrs connection to this players, even approach, and recruiting, but never been sold on the X/O side but he is better than Monson and better than what Tubby gave us on that side at times.

On the negative I hate that he let the team get caught this year without any good guards ready to save the season, and thus forcing Coffey to play out of position all year.

Overall , I give a great deal of credit to Ricky Jr. and hope for the best going forward. I was ready to quit on him (and did quit on him 4x), if he could have grabbed Bill M's son Eric, but what the hell.. one more year for Jr.

Last edited:

Probably an impossible request, but it would be nice if we could just let the season play out before starting a new fire Pitino thread after any particular game.

I'm not calling for a lifetime contract for Pitino but it was nice to see how this team finished given how toxic some of the fan base had turned.

Now, now, I didn't do what you claim and I agree with your second sentence. I thought I made that clear.

Are there gopher fans who actually do hate him? I find him enormously likable

When he first arrived I hoped he become a great coach by the time he hit 40. Now I’m thinking it will be more like 50. I’m too old to wait out another decade.

The OP is basically correct. Pitino has earned another year. I'm not optimistic about next year being better than this year, but he deserves the chance to prove us wrong.

Now, now, I didn't do what you claim and I agree with your second sentence. I thought I made that clear.

You did. I agree. My frustration with all the fire Pitino threads was not directed at you but a general observation.

The OP is basically correct. Pitino has earned another year. I'm not optimistic about next year being better than this year, but he deserves the chance to prove us wrong.

Indeed. And I don't mind being proven wrong if that happens. It's happened often enough in my life that I'm used to it.

That is your uninformed opinion. The year is not over and there are still a lot of good players that he is most certainly talking to that you are not aware of, but let's not let that stop you from being upset and making a stink about it.

I don't care who he's talking to and neither should you. I only care if he closes the deal. Good Lord, you're a whiny little putz. You don't even have the talent to insult someone with bravura.

I'm good with him coming back.

Now if he could just get Hurt to pull a Jimmy Chitwood!

Ideally, the Gophers have a great NCAA run which prompts someone else to hire him away from us.

Or pick up a couple of quality spring recruits because of a deep NCAA run.

Hang in there guys. We made the NCAA tournament without a point guard. I am very hopeful that Pitino lands some good recruits this spring. This year has been frustrating. Not only with our play, but with numerous tough breaks on officiating. We're due for some good things to happen with recruits and the ball bouncing our way. I'm excited for the possibilities and I believe that Pitino can have many good years ahead.

This season has been successful enough that I think it would be silly to fire him (though not as silly as firing a coach with a better six year record in 2013). That said, I assume his seat will stay warm unless he wins a tourney game. 6 years without one would he bad, probably needs to win one this year or next. Here's hoping he gets that tourney win this month.

Top Bottom