To my fellow Pitino "haters"

He did but the way Ryan went about his exit recruiting was paralyzed for 20 months. Greg would be far more sought after than Pitino.

Right now, no question. Your boy is a better coach at the moment built. I can tell that will make you happy.

If it wasn’t for a scorned woman, this likely would’ve been the 3rd NCAA in a row. She’s mad cause he ain’t in love. I think dicky’s Done a good job.

HAHAHAHAHHA!!

true but funny

Gave several names of guys that would come here but it does not matter, we are keeping our guy. Would be shocked though if he ever finishes ahead of Gard.

well he should've last year, but that's gopher program in a nutshell, coulda, woulda, shoulda

I'm skeptical long term with Pitino, thought team was going right direction 2 years ago but haven't shown consistency.

If it was as simple as teaching pack line defense and swing offense as you make it to be, everyone would do it

I can see both sides of the argument.

I like Pitino's personality. He seems like a decent guy.

But that does not mean I can ignore a very inconsistent track record in terms of on-court performance and recruiting.

It gets back to the eternal argument: what is the ceiling for this program? Some feel this program is capable of producing better results, and a different coach might (I say might) be able to achieve those results. Others feel that the MN program is what it is - a mid-level B1G program - and no coach is going to ride in on a white horse and lead the team to greatness.

I admit to being parochial on the recruiting - I hate seeing the best MN kids leave the state almost every year. for the Current group of FR, Oturu is a player, and Gabe K is solid. Omersa, we just don't know. But that class cannot be the outlier. It has to be closer to the norm. Pitino needs to bring in players at the level of Oturu and Gabe every year to build this program.

so, I can see reasons for Keeping Pitino, and I can see reasons for making a change. But, it's not my decision to make.

well he should've last year, but that's gopher program in a nutshell, coulda, woulda, shoulda

I'm skeptical long term with Pitino, thought team was going right direction 2 years ago but haven't shown consistency.

If it was as simple as teaching pack line defense and swing offense as you make it to be, everyone would do it

I have stated too many times to count about how difficult it is too do. Special coaches are incredibly hard to find. Not once did i mention how easy it is to teach packline or swing.

Gard is 45-29 ! Just went 14-6. He has already been to a sweet 16 and is considered far ahead of Pitino in his profession. We would trade right now.

Ryan's last 4 years were 52-20! See the trend line?

Gard is 48 years old and no one saw fit to make him a college head coach until Ryan bequeathed him the job. Gard has done fine but inherited a strong tradition. Pitino's best years are ahead of him at 36/37 years old. I have seen him improve this year. I think he is a good recruiter but he needs to improve how he puts together a roster. I think he has learned how painful it can be to have a bunch of bricklayers on the floor and I hope he is able to get some answers this spring as he finishes the class.

It sure would be nice if we could all get behind him. He is very likely our coach for the near future and maybe a lot longer.

I have stated too many times to count about how difficult it is too do. Special coaches are incredibly hard to find. Not once did i mention how easy it is to teach packline or swing.

I agree coaches are hard to fine, and while you may not intend to, you come of as it's the only way to do it (or at least the best way) and shouldn't consider any other approach and just get coach to do it and we'll be good.

I respect your contribution to the board, so I am not completely trying to give you a hard time

But that does not mean I can ignore a very inconsistent track record in terms of on-court performance and recruiting.

It gets back to the eternal argument: what is the ceiling for this program? Some feel this program is capable of producing better results, and a different coach might (I say might) be able to achieve those results. Others feel that the MN program is what it is - a mid-level B1G program - and no coach is going to ride in on a white horse and lead the team to greatness.

I admit to being parochial on the recruiting - I hate seeing the best MN kids leave the state almost every year. for the Current group of FR, Oturu is a player, and Gabe K is solid. Omersa, we just don't know. But that class cannot be the outlier. It has to be closer to the norm. Pitino needs to bring in players at the level of Oturu and Gabe every year to build this program.

so, I can see reasons for Keeping Pitino, and I can see reasons for making a change. But, it's not my decision to make.

My general .02 is he needs to be extended this offseason or fired. And if he's fired, Coyle better have a guy or two in mind (which I'm sure he does, even if he keeps him)

I think he saved his job for one more year. Whether that is good or bad I don't know.

My general .02 is he needs to be extended this offseason or fired. And if he's fired, Coyle better have a guy or two in mind (which I'm sure he does, even if he keeps him)

I agree. I think they should extend him at this point. I wonder if they can write a contract that has a buyout formula that tracks with performance. For example, if he wins 6 games or less in conference the buyout if fired is much lower.

I agree. I think they should extend him at this point. I wonder if they can write a contract that has a buyout formula that tracks with performance. For example, if he wins 6 games or less in conference the buyout if fired is much lower.

A coach with terrible luck is rescued by a weak bubble.

Pass.

Re-up him with a contract light on commitment and regard. That’s sure to wow him!

This is the right take. We're essentially going year-to-year with Pitino. That's not a good place for a program to be. He either needs a long-term commitment, or he needs to go. I am sure he is aware of this as well.

Don't be surprised if Pitino leaves for a new job. That'd be the smart play for him. He's guaranteed 1 more year here based on this year's performance. At another P6 school, he's guaranteed another 4 years. I know which I'd choose.

I do not agree with this at all. First of all, he's likely not on any short lists. Second of all, if he was able to take another P6 job, he would have his work cut out for him no doubt. He is already in the best conference in the land as it comes to money, TV, etc.

He won't leave here unless it is for an upgrade type job. Any upgrade job would probably have stronger candidates than Richard right now anyway. I would love it if he can expand upon this season. Not sure if it will happen or not. Being in the tourney most every year is what we want. A top 4 finish once in awhile, sweet sixteens, the barn rocking. He hasn't shown he can do this yet. Can he? I don't know, but I am pretty sure he gets next year for certain. Not sure if there will be any extention coming though.

Please excuse my presumptuousness in speaking for us as a group.

Many of us wanted him gone. We all know the reasons why so there is no reason to rehash them here.

As far as this season, the question is: Did Pitino do enough to save his job? I think the answer is a clear "Yes." The team will have at least 20 wins this year and a very likely NCAA tournament appearance; that's a significant one-year turnaround. At least 20 wins is pretty good with this team (which, let's face it, did not have much depth in talent) in a very competitive conference and tonight was a gutsy win, warts and all.

So, I feel fine cheering for as much success as possible for the team (and the coach) for the rest of this year. At this point, I'm not terribly optimistic about next year, so we can commence bitching about Pitino and begging for him to be fired then.

+1 Not a fan of him anymore. Bittersweet that they 99% sure made the tourney. I'm 100% happy for the players, not the coach. I don't remember the first two years very well, but this year i did not like how he picked favorites. I think he felt the pressure of maybe being on the hot seat. It was clear to me from the first 2 games that Curry was not 100% healthy and Matz was doing a more than serviceable job considering how low of expectations we had for him. Based on the stat from the Penn State game about Stull, he should have been worked in the rotation more. Overall he seemed to pull a Thibs. Ultimately it worked for making the tourney, just like it did for Thibs, but then all those minutes could hurt the team moving forward and if anyone gets hurt, our bench might take longer than we want to get in a groove since they see such limited action.

Next years class with one commit and others who will be eligible to play doesn't do much for me. I also dont think he has all the players behind him (expect the starters, minus maybe Gabe) based on how he reacts to mistakes they make. He get's PO'd and yells all the time at anyone who is not a starter and it takes 2-3 mistakes for him to yell at a starter if they make a mistake. I look at Stulls, Matz and Hurts facial expression and they dont seem to like it. Yelling is fine, but then talk to the player after and explain why. Pitino mostly just screams and lets the assistants explain to the player what he did wrong. I dont see that with many other coaches we've played against. Also I'm about 3 green beers deep and one shot of Jameson.

This was very well said. I want success, and if you say we went to the NCAA's two out of the past three years its hard to fire that guy I certainly get it. At the same time it kind of feels like Pitino has hit his ceiling here and we appear to be headed on a downward path with players leaving and recruiting seemingly going poorly.

As the saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side. But I tend to think whats the worst that could happen if we fired him and tried an Oats/Muss/Hoiberg whomever it may be. We have 3-4 awful years and start over? Thats the downside, maybe we hit "that guy" and he turns us into a top 1/3 of the big ten program. Not like we are ditching a coach who set the world on fire every year.

+1 Not a fan of him anymore. Bittersweet that they 99% sure made the tourney. I'm 100% happy for the players, not the coach. I don't remember the first two years very well, but this year i did not like how he picked favorites. I think he felt the pressure of maybe being on the hot seat. It was clear to me from the first 2 games that Curry was not 100% healthy and Matz was doing a more than serviceable job considering how low of expectations we had for him. Based on the stat from the Penn State game about Stull, he should have been worked in the rotation more. Overall he seemed to pull a Thibs. Ultimately it worked for making the tourney, just like it did for Thibs, but then all those minutes could hurt the team moving forward and if anyone gets hurt, our bench might take longer than we want to get in a groove since they see such limited action.

Next years class with one commit and others who will be eligible to play doesn't do much for me. I also dont think he has all the players behind him (expect the starters, minus maybe Gabe) based on how he reacts to mistakes they make. He get's PO'd and yells all the time at anyone who is not a starter and it takes 2-3 mistakes for him to yell at a starter if they make a mistake. I look at Stulls, Matz and Hurts facial expression and they dont seem to like it. Yelling is fine, but then talk to the player after and explain why. Pitino mostly just screams and lets the assistants explain to the player what he did wrong. I dont see that with many other coaches we've played against. Also I'm about 3 green beers deep and one shot of Jameson.

You sure that's all?

I don't even know where to start with this one. 1. Do you like winning more or playing everyone? 2. Pitino is by no means a tyrant or even close to being a screamer or a yeller. If anything he's too damn nice. Would you rather the assistants sit there and not do anything? Most of their job is to help players have they've been pulled out and watch for adjustments during the game. 3. Gabe is a positive guy and your logic to why he wouldn't support Pitino would be great to hear. 4. Nevermind I don't have enough time.

If it wasn’t for a scorned woman, this likely would’ve been the 3rd NCAA in a row. She’s mad cause he ain’t in love. I think dicky’s Done a good job.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

In the real world, it's one Tournament in five years, and likely now two in six years. It's still not acceptable, but probably buys him more time.

Which player from the Pitino era has made an NBA roster? Even the G league?

That argument cuts both ways. So maybe he has coached pretty well with talent we over rate? Which guy he brought in should have been an NBA player but didn't make it?

Obviously he has not been able to attract superstar college players to date. I would say that Pitino helped make Murphy into a guy that maxed his potential. Same with Coffey. Same with Joey King and Mo Walker. Same with Nate Mason. To have NBA guys he is going to have to have more success in recruiting. I think Oturu will be one but he needs more. Recruiting get easier with success. For now he has to gradually upgrade and get better balanced rosters with a mix of shooting and athleticism.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

In the real world, it's one Tournament in five years, and likely now two in six years. It's still not acceptable, but probably buys him more time.

If they win one game in the tournament will you call it "tied for the best year in Gopher basketball in the last 25 years"? If they win two, would it be the best Gopher year of the last 25 years?

If they win one game in the tournament will you call it "tied for the best year in Gopher basketball in the last 25 years"? If they win two, would it be the best Gopher year of the last 25 years?

BOX. Suddenly dpdoll finds himself hoping that the Gophers lose right away in the tournament.

That argument cuts both ways. So maybe he has coached pretty well with talent we over rate? Which guy he brought in should have been an NBA player but didn't make it?

Obviously he has not been able to attract superstar college players to date. I would say that Pitino helped make Murphy into a guy that maxed his potential. Same with Coffey. Same with Joey King and Mo Walker. Same with Nate Mason. To have NBA guys he is going to have to have more success in recruiting. I think Oturu will be one but he needs more. Recruiting get easier with success. For now he has to gradually upgrade and get better balanced rosters with a mix of shooting and athleticism.

I understand this perspective, and disagree to an extent.

I thought Murphy would develop a mid range game over the last 4 years. I jsut cant understand why he couldnt, Perhaps he tried and just could not hit the shots in practice and was told to stick with what works.

He would have been unstoppable if the mid range game had been in the tool belt.

Tied for the best in 29 years, actually. And yes, of course - why wouldn't I?

BOX. Suddenly dpdoll finds himself hoping that the Gophers lose right away in the tournament.

Huh? Why on Earth would I want that? I'm a Gopher fan. I very much enjoy when the Gophers win, particularly a Tournament win. We've seen one of those since the Reagan administration.

I understand this perspective, and disagree to an extent.

I thought Murphy would develop a mid range game over the last 4 years. I jsut cant understand why he couldnt, Perhaps he tried and just could not hit the shots in practice and was told to stick with what works.

He would have been unstoppable if the mid range game had been in the tool belt.

Totally agree with that! Shooting is the toughest thing to coach a player. Eric Harris is one of the few guys I saw come to college and make himself into a solid shooter. Al Nolen was tremendous but had a broken jumper and he could have been NBA level with a good one. Rodney Williams. Mbakwe. Vince Grier was a poor shooter. To a little lesser extent- Amir Coffey.

Tied for the best in 29 years, actually. And yes, of course - why wouldn't I?

Huh? Why on Earth would I want that? I'm a Gopher fan. I very much enjoy when the Gophers win, particularly a Tournament win. We've seen one of those since the Reagan administration.

Good to hear. I'm glad you strive for consistency in your evaluation of the Gopher program.

Here's hoping they draw an undermanned VCU team and win the game. Then we can jointly proclaim we just witnessed the best season of Gopher basketball (tied) for the last 29 years and opine how silly it would be to move on from the coach who led us to that accomplishment. :)

Good to hear. I'm glad you strive for consistency in your evaluation of the Gopher program.

Here's hoping they draw an undermanned VCU team and win the game. Then we can jointly proclaim we just witnessed the best season of Gopher basketball (tied) for the last 29 years and opine how silly it would be to move on from the coach who led us to that accomplishment. :)

dp's laptop would crash for a few weeks and he would later return to express doubts about the spring recruits.

Top Bottom