Non-Big Ten Coaching Changes

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Here are the head coaches from the Gopher non-conference schedule whom have been dismissed-thus far.

Brian Neal resigned from Xavier
Christy Smith is out at Incarnate Word
Dayna La-Force is out at Rhode Island

http://www.wave3.com/2019/03/26/uofls-tyra-responds-jeff-walz-report/

Gathering steam:

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - According to a report by Gene Henley of the Times Free Press in Chattanooga, Tennessee, “UofL is prepared to lose coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee at the end of the season."

Walz is 330-99 in 12 seasons at UofL and his Cards, the #1 seed in the Albany Region, play #4 seed Oregon State on Friday night in Albany, New York.

Holly Warlick has not been fired as the Tennessee head coach. The Vols lost to UCLA 89-77 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

“For now we’re focused on Oregon State on Friday night. We’re incredibly proud of Jeff’s accomplishments, including last year’s Final Four appearance. Following last season we rewarded Jeff with a contract extension that we anticipate him fulfilling.,” Tyra told WAVE 3 News.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...essee-rumors-insult-holly-warlick/3285867002/

"Focused on Sweet Sixteen."

With Tennessee reportedly settings its sights on Louisville's Jeff Walz as the school's next women's basketball coach, the Cardinals coach declined Tuesday to respond to the report, saying the job isn't even open.

Tennessee is mulling the future of their current coach, Holly Warlick, who is not expected to be retained. But no decision has been made yet.

"I think it is a slap in Holly's face," Walz told the Courier Journal on Tuesday, adding that coaching rumors pop up every year and that he's focused on his team's Sweet 16 matchup Friday against Oregon State.

In other news, the Cardinals did lose a coach on Wednesday. Long-time assistant Samantha Williams was picked as the new head coach as Eastern Kentucky. She'll be introduced at a reception on April 3, just two days after the Elite 8 and two days before the Final Four.

https://www.11alive.com/article/spo...eport/85-5f09a93f-3b1a-40fb-ad91-4b465e7566fb

Excerpts of the Georgia Tech investigation into their now terminated head coach and former Purdue star, Machelle Joseph. It includes charges of unacceptable coaching behavior, disregard for player well being and improper involvement of a psychologist and donors.

On Tuesday afternoon, just hours after Georgia Tech fired women's basketball coach MaChelle Joseph, 11Alive News received a copy of the "Internal Review Investigation Report" on Joseph (through a FOIA request/Open Records Act), which was conducted by the investigative firm of Littler Mendelson P.C. Employment and Labor Law Solutions Worldwide.

Joseph's attorney, Lisa Banks, issued a statement saying, "As parts of this ‘confidential report’ regarding MaChelle Joseph are inevitably leaked, be careful not to believe everything you read or everything the school is saying. We are confident the truth will emerge and Coach Joseph will be fully vindicated.”

Below are some of the most noteworthy and/or troubling takeaways from Littler Mendelson's independent investigative report ... presented in verbatim excerpts here and without any editorial comments from 11Alive News.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...ires-back-against-abuse-allegations/934603261

Machelle Joseph:
In the statement, Joseph acknowledged her coaching methods as tough but stood by them saying, "Though players over the years may have occasionally expressed frustration with my tone or methods, no one in my 16 years as Head Coach has ever accused me of being abusive."

Joseph went on to detail how she expressed her concerns about alleged disparities within the athletic department at Georgia Tech regarding salary for assistant coaches, funding for publicity and marketing, locker rooms and travel. She said whenever she spoke up, she was met with retaliation and harassment.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26373802/sources-warlick-lady-vols-coach

Holly Warlick, who played for legendary Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt, coached under Summitt and then succeeded Summitt as the Lady Vols' head coach, will not return next season as head coach, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Warlick and Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer met earlier this week. The Lady Vols dipped to 19-13 this season and lost to UCLA in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, just the second time in school history that Tennessee exited in the first round.

It will be interesting if the desire to have a female coach wins out. Walz would be the obvious choice. An extensive record of success and still young enough to be around a long time.

Walz makes 1.5 million at UL, Warlick made less than 700k, will be interesting to see how much UT is willing to pay for this hire.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article228692854.html

Not a change...yet:
The North Carolina women’s basketball coaching staff has been placed on paid administrative leave pending an internal investigation after complaints were brought up by players and others, the school said in a press release.

That includes head coach Sylvia Hatchell and her three assistants, a spokesperson confirmed.

Hatchell through her attorney, Wade Smith, issued a statement Monday afternoon via a spokesperson:

“I’ve had the privilege of coaching more than 200 young women during my 44 years in basketball,” her statement read. “My goal has always been to help them become the very best people they can be, on the basketball court and in life.

“I love each and every one of the players I’ve coached and would do anything to encourage and support them. They are like family to me. I love them all.

“Of course, I will cooperate fully in this review. I look forward to a prompt conclusion of this matter and the continuation of our very successful women’s basketball program.”

https://www.news-leader.com/story/s...ted-kellie-harper-msu-ad-confirms/3336542002/
The University of Tennessee has reached out to Missouri State expressing interest in women's basketball coach Kellie Harper, MSU Athletics Director Kyle Moats confirmed to the News-Leader on Tuesday.

"The University of Tennessee has contacted me to inform me they have interest in speaking with Coach Harper about their women's head coaching position," Moats said in a statement to the News-Leader on Tuesday.

https://goxavier.com/news/2019/4/5/melanie-moore-named-xavier-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

Melanie Moore, Michigan's associate head coach, becomes Xavier's head coach.
Xavier Vice President for Administration and Director of Athletics Greg Christopher has announced Melanie Moore as the new head women's basketball coach. Moore joins the Musketeers after a spending seven seasons at Michigan, most recently serving as associate head coach.

Moore becomes the eighth coach in program history. Xavier will hold a introductory press conference on Tuesday, April 9 at 4 p.m. in the media room at Cintas Center.

"We couldn't be happier to announce Melanie as our next women's basketball coach," said Christopher. "After talking with Melanie over the last week and hearing her vision to move our program forward, it became clear that she would be a perfect fit at Xavier.

"Melanie brings a great blend of experience to Xavier. She was an accomplished collegiate player who played professionally. And in 17 years of coaching, Melanie's been a part of rebuilding programs and high-level success."

During her time on the bench at Michigan, Moore helped the Wolverines post a 156-85 overall record with a 66-52 mark in Big Ten play. Michigan advanced to postseason play in all seven seasons, including three NCAA Tournament appearances. The Wolverines also recorded 20 or more wins in each season.

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2019/04/06/report-kara-lawson-interested-in-lady-vols-job/

Booth to bench?

Tennessee’s search for a new head coach of the Lady Vols basketball program could be winding down, and it looks like a lead candidate has emerged.

According to John Brice of Lettermen Row, former Lady Vol point guard Kara Lawson has a strong desire to restore her alma mater back to national prominence.

The interest is mutual according to Brice. Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer is currently in Tampa, Florida — the location of the Women’s Final Four — with his inner circle to interview candidates. Fulmer’s list of candidates is 6-8 names long and includes Lawson, Nikki Fargas, Kellie Harper, and Amanda Butler.

Lawson’s name has been floated around for the Lady Vols job since Holly Warlick was fired on March 27th. Tennessee went 19-13 this season and suffered a loss to UCLA in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. It marked just the second time the Lady Vols had lost in the first round of the tournament, and this year was the first time in over 40 years the Lady Vols failed to win 20 games. Their 7-9 SEC record was also the first time Tennessee finished under .500 in conference play.

As for the other candidates mentioned by Brice, two of the names he mentioned are also former Lady Vol players.

Nikki Fargas — then Nikki Caldwell — played guard for the Lady Vols from 1990-94 and served as an assistant under Pat Summitt in the 1998-99 season and came back as an assistant at Tennessee from 2002-08. She was the head coach at UCLA from 2008-11 and is currently the head coach at LSU.

Kellie Harper also played guard for the Lady Vols in the 90s. She helped Tennessee win three-straight national titles from 1996-98 as a point guard, and she was a head coach at Western Carolina and NC State before taking over at Missouri State. She took the Lady Bears to the Sweet Sixteen this season.

Amanda Butler is from Tennessee like both Fargas and Harper, but she didn’t play or coach for the Lady Vols. Butler played guard for Florida from 1990-94, and she was the head coach at Charlotte and Florida before taking over as Clemson’s head coach before last the start of last season.

https://ramblinwreck.com/fortner-named-womens-basketball-head-coach/

Nell Fortner just can't stay away. She's now Georgia Tech's head coach.
One of the most successful coaches in women’s basketball history, Fortner has compiled a 305-187 (.620) record as a head coach at the collegiate, professional and international levels. She has led teams to Big Ten (Purdue – 1997) and Southeastern Conference (Auburn – 2009) championships and, perhaps most notably, coached the United States national team to three international titles from 1997-2000, including the gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia.

“I’m excited to welcome Coach Fortner to the Georgia Tech family,” Stansbury said. “Her resume speaks for itself – she is one of the most successful and respected coaches in women’s basketball history. She’s not only led teams to Olympic gold and major conference championships, but she has also proven to be an outstanding leader of young women who has embodied our mission of developing the young people who will change the world.”

Fortner is the winningest coach in the history of the USA women’s basketball national team, having compiled a 101-14 (.878) record. In addition to the 2000 Olympics championship, she also led the team to the gold medal at the 1998 World Championship in Berlin, Germany and the 1998 William Jones Cup in Taipei, Taiwan.

I recall that Nell Fortner was mentioned for the Gopher job that Pam Borton took. Yes, she's been around for a long time.

Rumor was, day after Borton was let go that Fortner reached out to Minnesota/Teague about Gophers opening and was told already the next day that the job was filled.

I recall that Nell Fortner was mentioned for the Gopher job that Pam Borton took. Yes, she's been around for a long time.

Moving up quickly. After two seasons at Miami (Ohio) Megan Duffy named Marquette head coach. Good choice.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2019/4...rquette-names-megan-duffy-head-wbb-coach.aspx

The Marquette University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has named Megan Duffy its head women's basketball coach, Vice President and Director of Athletics Bill Scholl announced Wednesday morning.

Duffy, who becomes the program's sixth head coach and has signed a six-year contract with the University, will officially be introduced to the campus and Milwaukee community at 3:15 p.m. CT on Wednesday, April 10 in the Alumni Memorial Union (Room 157). Her introduction and press conference will stream live on gomarquette.com/watch.

"Megan is a tremendous fit with the Marquette family and the University's values," Scholl said. "I have watched her career ascend for several years and have seen her achieve tremendous success at the highest levels as a player and coach. She coaches for the right reasons, utilizing basketball to help develop the women in her program and position them for success, both on and off the court. I am looking forward to working with her as we continue the great momentum we have established in women's basketball."

The Dayton, Ohio, native has translated her extensive playing career, which included All-America selections (finalist for national player of the year awards), USA Basketball participation (Gold medalist) and professional experience in the WNBA (Minnesota and New York) and overseas, into immediate success in the coaching ranks.
Duffy's Coaching career
2017-19 Miami (Ohio) Head Coach
2014-17 Michigan Assistant Coach
2012-14 George Washington Associate Head Coach
2009-12 St. John's Assistant Coach

Norwood's nationwide search along with his Villa 7 fun was always going to end with him bringing Marlene from VCU based on sources in the know. On the bright side, Marlene's coming and then going got us to Whalen!!

https://www.chieftain.com/sports/20...csu-pueblo-womens-basketball-raises-questions

This is from early March: Former Gopher assistant, Curtis Loyd, resigned as head coach of CSU-Pueblo.
The sudden departure of Colorado State University-Pueblo’s Curtis Loyd as the head women’s basketball coach has been met with questions.

Loyd resigned on March 6 after just two seasons with the Pack where his teams produced winning records both years.

First-year CSU-Pueblo Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Paul Plinske gave his version of why Loyd isn’t returning.

“We have higher expectations now, we have a new athletic director (himself) in place who has come in with a new standard that is in line with the mission and vision of the university,” Plinske said. “We are looking for people who can fit with our organizational structure.

“I spent a lot of time my first nine months outlining job expectations and standards we want to live by. We’re continuing to do that as we shape the athletic department while also shaping our administrative tasks.”

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...340/unc-coach-hatchell-resigns-program-review

Upon further review: Sylvia Hatchell out at North Carolina:

North Carolina women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell had built a Hall of Fame career over more than three decades with the Tar Heels, including winning a national championship and becoming the Atlantic Coast Conference's all-time winningest coach.

That tenure ended with her resignation after a program review found concerns over her making "racially insensitive" comments and pressuring players to compete through medical issues.

The school announced Hatchell's resignation late Thursday, along with findings from that external review conducted this month by a Charlotte-based law firm. Among the issues: a "breakdown of connectivity" between Hatchell and the players after 28 interviews of current players and program personnel.

That was enough to end Hatchell's time in Chapel Hill, which began in 1986.

"The university commissioned a review of our women's basketball program, which found issues that led us to conclude that the program needed to be taken in a new direction," athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement. "It is in the best interests of our university and student-athletes for us to do so. Coach Hatchell agrees, and she offered her resignation today. I accepted it."

Hatchell -- who has 1,023 victories, with 751 coming in 33 seasons at UNC along with the 1994 NCAA title -- and her coaching staff had been on paid administrative leave since April 1. At the time, UNC announced the review amid player concerns to "assess the culture" of the program.

I keep thinking about the specifics of the wording in that release. It's very artful. She's not a racist but she is racially insensitive. She didn't force injured players to play but she nudged them. Basically, they just want her to go away and not sue them.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ing-courtney-banghart-replace-sylvia-hatchell

Princeton's Courtney Banghart replaces Sylvia Hatchell.

North Carolina is expected to name Princeton's Courtney Banghart as its next head women's basketball coach, reports WRAL.

According to the report, the school's Board of Trustees will hold an emergency meeting Tuesday morning, but the details of that meeting are unknown.

Banghart will replace Sylvia Hatchell, who resigned last week after 33 seasons at UNC and a career record of career record of 1,023-405 after the school reviewed allegations of her making "racially insensitive" comments to players and making them compete despite having serious injuries.

The 40-year-old Banghart led Princeton to seven Ivy League championships and eight NCAA Tournament appearances in her 12 seasons.

She has a career record of 254-103.

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/20...ustin-and-jackie-nared-to-coaching-staff.aspx

Former Minnesota assistant, Tamisha Augustin, joins Arizona's staff.
"Today I'm excited to welcome Tamisha Augustin and Jackie Nared to our Wildcat Family," Barnes said. "I fought hard to be able to hire these two high-character women that will bring value to our program. Tamisha and Jackie will create a dynamic coaching and recruiting duo and with these two by my side, there is no doubt we can compete with anyone."

Augustin last coached at Cincinnati during the 2017-18 season, where the Bearcats won 19 games and earned a bid to the WNIT. She helped bring in a class which included two players who continue to earn AAC honors.

"I am excited and humbled for the opportunity to represent the University of Arizona," said Augustin. "I want to thank the administration for giving me this tremendous opportunity. Adia is a proven winner with infectious energy and is a fierce competitor. She has been able to return this program to national recognition and what she has done is certainly praiseworthy. It is an honor to be part of something special that is on the rise in women's basketball. The Pac-12 is a premier conference with elite coaches and we will continue to develop student-athletes at a championship level. I am beyond thrilled to become a part of the Arizona Wildcats community."

"Tamisha brings experience and has deep, national recruiting ties," Barnes said. "She is an elite coach, an all-star recruiter and is hungry for success. Her work ethic and attention to detail stood out to me and I knew I wanted her to be a part of our team."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26956684/cavaliers-hire-cal-women-coach-gottlieb-staff

Lindsay Gottlieb leaves Cal and joins the Cavaliers as an assistant.

In a landmark appointment for the NBA, the Cleveland Cavaliers have hired University of California, Berkeley women's coach Lindsay Gottlieb to be an assistant coach on John Beilein's staff, it was announced Wednesday.

Gottlieb -- a Final Four and seven-time NCAA tournament head coach for the Golden Bears -- is the first women's collegiate head coach recruited to an NBA staff.

Sources said Gottlieb, 41, will sign a four-year contract and is expected to play a prominent role in support of Beilein and associate head coach JB Bickerstaff. Commissioner Adam Silver has been determined for the league to welcome more women's coaches into its ranks, and Gottlieb's stature and coaching credentials are unprecedented among women's coaches in the NBA.

http://csuvikings.com/sports/w-baskbl/2018-19/releases/20190618resc4i

Former Gopher men's player and Gopher women's basketball assistant Marc Wilson joins Cleveland State staff.
Cleveland State women's basketball head coach Chris Kielsmeier announced the addition of Marc Wilson to his coaching staff for the upcoming 2019-20 campaign, as Wilson will join the Vikings and serve in an assistant coach capacity.

"The entire coaching staff is excited to have Marc join our team, he brings a wealth of basketball knowledge and I'm looking forward to working with him," Kielsmeier said. "We are continuing our efforts to build Cleveland State women's basketball into a championship level program, and Marc is going to be a key piece of that process. I can't wait for Marc to join the Viking family and hit the ground running in all facets of the program."

Wilson joins the Vikings with over 20 years of coaching experience, serving in a variety of roles at his previous institutions including defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator.

A quick recap of Wilson's travels:

Most recently, Wilson served as the associate head coach and defensive coordinator at Southeast Missouri State, where he helped transform the Redhawks into one of the best defensive teams in the Ohio Valley Conference highlighted by Adrianna Murphy being named the Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2017-18.

Prior to his stint at SEMO, Wilson spent three years at Clemson and four years at UAB, serving as the assistant coach and defensive coordinator at both stops.

Wilson also spent time at Indiana, Kent State and Rhode Island, combining for eight years as the assistant coach and recruiting coordinator with the three teams. During his time with the Hoosiers, Wilson helped the team earn three postseason bids, while he helped KSU and URI reach their respective conference championship games.

Wilson got his start in collegiate coaching at his alma mater, spending four seasons as the assistant coach at Minnesota. During his time, Wilson recruited and signed four of Minnesota's top seven high school players in the class of 2000, along with the 2001 Wisconsin High School Player of the Year.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...ll-investigation-melissa-mcferrin/1643949001/

Not a coaching change; but Memphis has initiated an external review of former Gopher assistant Melissa McFerrin's program.

"Recognizing that student-athletes are students first, the University of Memphis strives to create an atmosphere that holistically supports their growth and development as a student and as an athlete. Therefore, it is the University’s commitment and responsibility to provide our student-athletes with an opportunity to learn, play and succeed in an environment free from harassment and abuse," Memphis officials said in a statement. "The University takes complaints of abuse and harassment seriously and investigates when matters are brought to its attention."

"The results of that review and assessment will be evaluated and appropriate actions taken to ensure that the environment within our women's basketball program is constructive, appropriate and reflective of our University's values."

The outside investigation comes less than three months after McFerrin received a two-year extension on April 23.

McFerrin has been at Memphis for 11 seasons, compiling an overall record of 175-172. However, since Memphis joined the AAC before the 2013-14 season, McFerrin has compiled a winning record only once.

https://und.com/ivey-accepts-assistant-coaching-position-with-the-memphis-grizzlies/

Niele Ivey joins the Memphis Grizzlies coaching staff.

Karen and Kevin Keyes Notre Dame women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw embodies women empowerment and breaking down gender barriers. Now former Associate Head Coach Niele Ivey will do just that, becoming the ninth active female assistant coach in the NBA. On Monday afternoon, Memphis Grizzlies head coach Taylor Jenkins’ named Ivey to his coaching staff.

“There is no other place that has impacted me more as a player, coach and person than Notre Dame,” Coach Ivey stated. “I’ve gained friendships and relationships that will last a lifetime. But the biggest impact that I’ve had is from the relationship I have with Coach McGraw. I’m so grateful for Coach McGraw. She has been so much more than just a coach, mentor and boss. She believed in me and gave me my first opportunity at Notre Dame and I am forever grateful. I stand tall, confident and ready because of the tools she has instilled in me.”

Ivey spent the 12 last seasons on the Notre Dame coaching staff (adding recruiting coordinator to her title in 2012 and associate head coach in 2015). In addition, Ivey is the common link between all nine of the school’s Final Four appearances (seven as a coach, two as a player).

A couple of thoughts on Ivey: I wonder if she gave up on the thought of ever becoming a college head coach. I understand that she had interviewed for a number of college head coaching positions, but without success. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride? Am I correct in thinking that she was a very important cog in Notre Dame's recruiting efforts? If so, this might be a big loss for Notre Dame. Also, some people thought that she might be a likely replacement for McGraw when McGraw retired. I wonder if this new position will take her out of that consideration, if and when that ever happens, or whether she'd be able to go back and be the head coach there. Either way, I'm glad to see that women are now getting some coaching opportunities in the men's game. I'll admit that many years ago I was hopeful that Pat Summit would cross over and coach a men's college basketball team. She had done all she could do in women's basketball and I thought she could have been successful at the men's level also.

Happy for her. Many of the top point guards @ ND commented on her being a key reason they signed there. It will be interesting to see if they will drop off in recruiting when she leaves.

Top Bottom