Doogie on Hoiberg/Nebraska, Pitino job security, recruiting, transfers and more

But, if Nebraska can score 60 points, they will win the game.

I'm borderline liking their chances. They were ranked at one time, so they got guys who can play (albeit relatively few of them at this point).

I'm borderline liking their chances. They were ranked at one time, so they got guys who can play (albeit relatively few of them at this point).

Loss of talent might be an issue with the injuries, but fatigue should not be an issue with all of the timeouts in today's game of college basketball. If they can D up Happ without getting into foul trouble, I think they have a chance as well.

Loss of talent might be an issue with the injuries, but fatigue should not be an issue with all of the timeouts in today's game of college basketball. If they can D up Happ without getting into foul trouble, I think they have a chance as well.

Playing 3 games in 3 days can involve some fatigue no matter what type of shape your in. Wiskey by 20. Their style will wear down a tired team already. Great run for Tim and I'd kill to have him on our staff over Conroy, but whatever.

Playing 3 games in 3 days can involve some fatigue no matter what type of shape your in. Wiskey by 20. Their style will wear down a tired team already. Great run for Tim and I'd kill to have him on our staff over Conroy, but whatever.

I could be wrong, but don't these guys play multiple games over multiple days at some of the off-season tournaments in high school? I know times have changed, but they literally spend more time resting than they do playing in these games (40 minutes of game action compared to 120+ minutes of game time).

I could be wrong, but don't these guys play multiple games over multiple days at some of the off-season tournaments in high school? I know times have changed, but they literally spend more time resting than they do playing in these games (40 minutes of game action compared to 120+ minutes of game time).

And, I should add, that is for someone that plays the entire game.

AAU tournament games are a different grind than a real College (especially B10) game. It's the level of physicality that wears down on them that doesn't happen in AAU. Also, I wouldn't always say the effort given in AAU is 100%. Plus it's at the end of the season, guys are worn out, it's a long season and Nebraska is playing 3 of the guys the whole 40 minutes basically. They will start to wear down.

For the future of those of us that like watching basketball, I hope UW loses 108 to 30 to restore my faith in America.
Wisconsin basketball is an abomination. Maybe they can hire Thibs. in Madison to squeeze out whatever life is left of the 1970's NBA free flowing spirit.

The image of the great Dick Bennett makes me constipated.

Give me Nolan Richardson and 40 minutes of hell over that Bennett "efficient' crap every day of my remaining life.

Last edited:

I have not given up on Omersa, I just don't want to see the scenario where he is our starting 4 next year.

I'd take Molinari as an assistant in a flash.

"There's no way there are going to be multiple transfers. Now watch as I almost immediately name two probable transfer candidates."

"probable transfer candidates," lets think about that one a little bit more....Hurt, Curry, and IWash are all likely to transfer in your opinion? I was simply listing guys that there would be a possibility and you changed it to "probable transfer candidates" implying that they are all likely to transfer.

"probable transfer candidates," lets think about that one a little bit more....Hurt, Curry, and IWash are all likely to transfer in your opinion? I was simply listing guys that there would be a possibility and you changed it to "probable transfer candidates" implying that they are all likely to transfer.

You have a really tough time elucidating your thoughts, not to mention with reading comprehension. You listed three names, and I said "two probable transfer candidates." And now, you claim that I'm implying that they are all likely to transfer? Take a read-through again and get back to me.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie talked about a number of topics. Below is a recap. It is not verbatim, but it is close:

- Doogie says the University of Nebraska has some appeal to Hoiberg. Some at Nebraska have "kicked the tires with some of Fred's people." Just something to keep an eye on, Doogie says he thinks Miles will be let go and to keep an eye on Hoiberg.

- Doogie says he has been told the Gophers have not kicked the tires on Hoiberg.

- Doogie wonders if Coyle has the money to buyout Pitino, then buyout a coach like a Nate Oats or Eric Mussleman or you name the coach, and then pay that coach north of $3MM. Doogie wonders if Coyle has that money to spend. Maybe Coyle wants to see how these next few games play out. Do they beat Penn State, do they win Friday. Do they win their first game in the NCAA Tournament. If they lose, do they lose by double digits. Maybe Coyle wants to gauge how the Gophers do.

- Doogie says he's heard it both ways. There is some interest in making a move, Doogie says he has heard that Mussleman would have interest. But Doogie has also heard that Coyle wants to bring Pitino back.

- Doogie says recruiting momentum is negative. He thinks he'll get one of the local 2020 kids but not the big ones.

- Doogie says he thinks there will be at least 1 if not multiple transfers if Pitino is back. But Doogie says that is the norm in college basketball.

https://www.podcastone.com/the-scoop

Go Gophers!!

Basically, doogie said anything is possible...tough to argue with that!

Pitino might as well recruit kids from NCSA-dot-org with the success he has had recruiting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wouldn't it be great if 4 and 5 star recruits added snow and cold to their list of priorities when choosing a school.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

You have a really tough time elucidating your thoughts, not to mention with reading comprehension. You listed three names, and I said "two probable transfer candidates." And now, you claim that I'm implying that they are all likely to transfer? Take a read-through again and get back to me.

I get what you are saying and it was wrong to lump all 3...chill out little buddy. It doesn't invalidate the rest of what was said.

What does "probably transfer candidates" mean to you? I guess based on the definition of the words, I would think that likely is a synonym of probable. Instead of complain do you want to explain what you meant? But once again yes I incorrectly lumped all 3 together, idk why I did that, it was stupid. But the phrase "probable transfer candidate" doesn't really apply to Hurt or Curry in my opinion. I don't think we know anything that would make them "probable" to transfer, which is what you said while trying to mock me. Why are they probable to transfer?

I get what you are saying and it was wrong to lump all 3...chill out little buddy. It doesn't invalidate the rest of what was said.

What does "probably transfer candidates" mean to you? I guess based on the definition of the words, I would think that likely is a synonym of probable. Instead of complain do you want to explain what you meant? But once again yes I incorrectly lumped all 3 together, idk why I did that, it was stupid. But the phrase "probable transfer candidate" doesn't really apply to Hurt or Curry in my opinion. I don't think we know anything that would make them "probable" to transfer, which is what you said while trying to mock me. Why are they probable to transfer?

It seems pretty clear that Washington and Hurt are likely to transfer, because they aren't playing much or at all. They might shock and stay here, but I guess we'll see.

I was mostly giving you a hard time because you contradicted yourself in the first post by saying that there likely aren't multiple transfers, and then almost immediately listed two strong transfer candidates.

It seems pretty clear that Washington and Hurt are likely to transfer, because they aren't playing much or at all. They might shock and stay here, but I guess we'll see.

I was mostly giving you a hard time because you contradicted yourself in the first post by saying that there likely aren't multiple transfers, and then almost immediately listed two strong transfer candidates.

It is all good, I had to come at ya with a little gust for giving me grief lol. Yeah I mean IW is gone but I wasn't sold on Hurt. Makes sense for basketball reasons but I thought he was interested in med school? I feel like that would be a factor in that decision and the fact that he would have to swallow some pride (not saying he is cocky, seems to be a wonderful kid by all accounts) and go to a mid-major to get playing time. Not out of the realm of possibility at all though.

as far as Hurt, if he was going to transfer in search of playing time, he would probably have to go to a mid-major program. I can't read minds, so I don't know what's important to the kid. If he's happy with his role at MN, no reason to transfer.

Washington - yes, I could see him transferring. But again, we don't know what is being said in private or at practice - what promises have been made or might be made. I guess if I had to bet my own money, I would say Washington is not back next year.

as far as Hurt, if he was going to transfer in search of playing time, he would probably have to go to a mid-major program. I can't read minds, so I don't know what's important to the kid. If he's happy with his role at MN, no reason to transfer.

Washington - yes, I could see him transferring. But again, we don't know what is being said in private or at practice - what promises have been made or might be made. I guess if I had to bet my own money, I would say Washington is not back next year.
especially if Coffey is back next year, cause that's one more year where Washington will have to sit behind Coffey and potentially Carr.. I think IW is gone. Hope he goes to a team like St. John's and sees the floor.

I also hope Washington has learned a thing or two while he was here.. The Big10 is an amazing conference. Hopefully his time here wasn't wasted

Wouldn't it be great if 4 and 5 star recruits added snow and cold to their list of priorities when choosing a school.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Spoken like a true Iowan! :cool02:

Top Bottom