Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Doogie on Hoiberg/Nebraska, Pitino job security, recruiting, transfers and more

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie talked about a number of topics. Below is a recap. It is not verbatim, but it is close:

- Doogie says the University of Nebraska has some appeal to Hoiberg. Some at Nebraska have "kicked the tires with some of Fred's people." Just something to keep an eye on, Doogie says he thinks Miles will be let go and to keep an eye on Hoiberg.

- Doogie says he has been told the Gophers have not kicked the tires on Hoiberg.

- Doogie wonders if Coyle has the money to buyout Pitino, then buyout a coach like a Nate Oats or Eric Mussleman or you name the coach, and then pay that coach north of $3MM. Doogie wonders if Coyle has that money to spend. Maybe Coyle wants to see how these next few games play out. Do they beat Penn State, do they win Friday. Do they win their first game in the NCAA Tournament. If they lose, do they lose by double digits. Maybe Coyle wants to gauge how the Gophers do.

- Doogie says he's heard it both ways. There is some interest in making a move, Doogie says he has heard that Mussleman would have interest. But Doogie has also heard that Coyle wants to bring Pitino back.

- Doogie says recruiting momentum is negative. He thinks he'll get one of the local 2020 kids but not the big ones.

- Doogie says he thinks there will be at least 1 if not multiple transfers if Pitino is back. But Doogie says that is the norm in college basketball.

https://www.podcastone.com/the-scoop

Go Gophers!!

I gauge that Coyle likes Pitino and really wants to keep him. So I think it will take two major things to happen to let him go. #1 Stinker against Penn State, stinker in round 1 of NCAA (if they make it). #2 - Coyle has a strong feeling that recruiting is lagging. Those two items maybe would push Pitino out the door. But I think he has about a 70% chance of staying.

Transfer candidates - IW and Hurt. Anyone else? Omersa? I hope not him. He needs time to develop.

That appears to be a real nothing burger of a report from Doogie. "This could happen. On the other hand, so could the exact opposite."

And FWIW, I think there is zero chance Pitino is fired, even if we lose our next two.

JTG

Quote Originally Posted by rockford View Post
    That appears to be a real nothing burger of a report from Doogie. "This could happen. On the other hand, so could the exact opposite."

JTG
    So the same as every "report" from Doogie
    "Giving recruiting genius Tim Brewster a beautiful new stadium is like a 10 handicapper giving Tiger Woods 2 strokes a side."

I honestly wish we (and everyone else) would stop paying attention to Doogie.

I can do his job while at my actual job, where I do actual things.

"The Gophers will win or lose tonight. And that might or might not help recruiting. It also might or might not lead to Pitino keeping or losing his job"

Anyone else want me to report on stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    I honestly wish we (and everyone else) would stop paying attention to Doogie.

I can do his job while at my actual job, where I do actual things.

"The Gophers will win or lose tonight. And that might or might not help recruiting. It also might or might not lead to Pitino keeping or losing his job"

Anyone else want me to report on stuff?
    I try to be descriptive in my subjects so that people that want to know about a topic know what the thread will be about. So in this instance I put a subject headline of "Doogie on Hoiberg/Nebraska, Pitino job security, recruiting, transfers and more" thinking that those that care what Doogie says about those topics, may want to read it. And for those that "want to stop paying attention to Doogie" would not open the thread.

If I could have been more descriptive in this thread so you wouldn't have been tempted to open the thread thinking it was about a different reporter or topic let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive next time.

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    I try to be descriptive in my subjects so that people that want to know about a topic know what the thread will be about. So in this instance I put a subject headline of "Doogie on Hoiberg/Nebraska, Pitino job security, recruiting, transfers and more" thinking that those that care what Doogie says about those topics, may want to read it. And for those that "want to stop paying attention to Doogie" would not open the thread.

If I could have been more descriptive in this thread so you wouldn't have been tempted to open the thread thinking it was about a different reporter or topic let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive next time.

Go Gophers!!
    you have a good point Bleed. Its right there in the thread title

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post

Go Gophers!!
    Sorry, not blaming you at all. You post Gopher related articles from newspapers that I'm not sure exist online. Its really incredible.

I just am tired of Doogie's "reporting". I read almost every thread on a few forums here (I have tons of free time I guess) so I appreciate you compiling all things Gopher.

In summary, BleedGopher=GREAT, Doogie=not good

Quote Originally Posted by UpAndUnder43 View Post
    Sorry, not blaming you at all. You post Gopher related articles from newspapers that I'm not sure exist online. Its really incredible.

I just am tired of Doogie's "reporting". I read almost every thread on a few forums here (I have tons of free time I guess) so I appreciate you compiling all things Gopher.

In summary, BleedGopher=GREAT, Doogie=not good
    Ha! Just giving you a hard time.

Go Gophers!!

If Curry cannot get healthy Omersa is our starter on the 4 next year! talk about scary. We need some big man recruits!

Doogie knows nothing. Continually throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. It's interesting to hear/read but nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And FWIW, I think there is zero chance Pitino is fired, even if we lose our next two.

JTG
    I agree.

The season wasn't a catastrophe, regardless of what happens from here on out and we aren't going to pay that buyout.

JTG
    Not that his "scoops" were great, but the fact he does 2 of them now and is more affiliated with 1500 has watered down his content even more. I still listen though, so apparently I'm a sucker (or I just have a long enough commute)

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Not that his "scoops" were great, but the fact he does 2 of them now and is more affiliated with 1500 has watered down his content even more. I still listen though, so apparently I'm a sucker (or I just have a long enough commute)
    Speculation is fun. It's probably one of my favorite things regarding following sports.

Quote Originally Posted by march madness View Post
    If Curry cannot get healthy Omersa is our starter on the 4 next year! talk about scary. We need some big man recruits!
    I'm not ready to throw Omersa out yet. He's only a freshman. Not every freshman is going to be a contributor. But you want guys to stick around. More upperclassmen you have, the better you can compete with the big boys