Doogie on Hoiberg/Nebraska, Pitino job security, recruiting, transfers and more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie talked about a number of topics. Below is a recap. It is not verbatim, but it is close:

- Doogie says the University of Nebraska has some appeal to Hoiberg. Some at Nebraska have "kicked the tires with some of Fred's people." Just something to keep an eye on, Doogie says he thinks Miles will be let go and to keep an eye on Hoiberg.

- Doogie says he has been told the Gophers have not kicked the tires on Hoiberg.

- Doogie wonders if Coyle has the money to buyout Pitino, then buyout a coach like a Nate Oats or Eric Mussleman or you name the coach, and then pay that coach north of $3MM. Doogie wonders if Coyle has that money to spend. Maybe Coyle wants to see how these next few games play out. Do they beat Penn State, do they win Friday. Do they win their first game in the NCAA Tournament. If they lose, do they lose by double digits. Maybe Coyle wants to gauge how the Gophers do.

- Doogie says he's heard it both ways. There is some interest in making a move, Doogie says he has heard that Mussleman would have interest. But Doogie has also heard that Coyle wants to bring Pitino back.

- Doogie says recruiting momentum is negative. He thinks he'll get one of the local 2020 kids but not the big ones.

- Doogie says he thinks there will be at least 1 if not multiple transfers if Pitino is back. But Doogie says that is the norm in college basketball.

https://www.podcastone.com/the-scoop

Go Gophers!!

I gauge that Coyle likes Pitino and really wants to keep him. So I think it will take two major things to happen to let him go. #1 Stinker against Penn State, stinker in round 1 of NCAA (if they make it). #2 - Coyle has a strong feeling that recruiting is lagging. Those two items maybe would push Pitino out the door. But I think he has about a 70% chance of staying.

Transfer candidates - IW and Hurt. Anyone else? Omersa? I hope not him. He needs time to develop.

That appears to be a real nothing burger of a report from Doogie. "This could happen. On the other hand, so could the exact opposite."

And FWIW, I think there is zero chance Pitino is fired, even if we lose our next two.

JTG

I honestly wish we (and everyone else) would stop paying attention to Doogie.

I can do his job while at my actual job, where I do actual things.

"The Gophers will win or lose tonight. And that might or might not help recruiting. It also might or might not lead to Pitino keeping or losing his job"

Anyone else want me to report on stuff?

"The Gophers will win or lose tonight. And that might or might not help recruiting. It also might or might not lead to Pitino keeping or losing his job"

I try to be descriptive in my subjects so that people that want to know about a topic know what the thread will be about. So in this instance I put a subject headline of "Doogie on Hoiberg/Nebraska, Pitino job security, recruiting, transfers and more" thinking that those that care what Doogie says about those topics, may want to read it. And for those that "want to stop paying attention to Doogie" would not open the thread.

If I could have been more descriptive in this thread so you wouldn't have been tempted to open the thread thinking it was about a different reporter or topic let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive next time.

:cool:

Go Gophers!!

I try to be descriptive in my subjects so that people that want to know about a topic know what the thread will be about. So in this instance I put a subject headline of "Doogie on Hoiberg/Nebraska, Pitino job security, recruiting, transfers and more" thinking that those that care what Doogie says about those topics, may want to read it. And for those that "want to stop paying attention to Doogie" would not open the thread.

If I could have been more descriptive in this thread so you wouldn't have been tempted to open the thread thinking it was about a different reporter or topic let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive next time.

Go Gophers!!

you have a good point Bleed. Its right there in the thread title

Go Gophers!!

Sorry, not blaming you at all. You post Gopher related articles from newspapers that I'm not sure exist online. Its really incredible.

I just am tired of Doogie's "reporting". I read almost every thread on a few forums here (I have tons of free time I guess) so I appreciate you compiling all things Gopher.

In summary, BleedGopher=GREAT, Doogie=not good

Sorry, not blaming you at all. You post Gopher related articles from newspapers that I'm not sure exist online. Its really incredible.

I just am tired of Doogie's "reporting". I read almost every thread on a few forums here (I have tons of free time I guess) so I appreciate you compiling all things Gopher.

In summary, BleedGopher=GREAT, Doogie=not good

Ha! Just giving you a hard time.

Go Gophers!!

If Curry cannot get healthy Omersa is our starter on the 4 next year! talk about scary. We need some big man recruits!

Doogie knows nothing. Continually throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. It's interesting to hear/read but nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That appears to be a real nothing burger of a report from Doogie. "This could happen. On the other hand, so could the exact opposite."

And FWIW, I think there is zero chance Pitino is fired, even if we lose our next two.

JTG

I agree.

The season wasn't a catastrophe, regardless of what happens from here on out and we aren't going to pay that buyout.

JTG

Not that his "scoops" were great, but the fact he does 2 of them now and is more affiliated with 1500 has watered down his content even more. I still listen though, so apparently I'm a sucker (or I just have a long enough commute)

Not that his "scoops" were great, but the fact he does 2 of them now and is more affiliated with 1500 has watered down his content even more. I still listen though, so apparently I'm a sucker (or I just have a long enough commute)

Speculation is fun. It's probably one of my favorite things regarding following sports.

If Curry cannot get healthy Omersa is our starter on the 4 next year! talk about scary. We need some big man recruits!

I'm not ready to throw Omersa out yet. He's only a freshman. Not every freshman is going to be a contributor. But you want guys to stick around. More upperclassmen you have, the better you can compete with the big boys

I'm not ready to throw Omersa out yet. He's only a freshman. Not every freshman is going to be a contributor. But you want guys to stick around. More upperclassmen you have, the better you can compete with the big boys

Isn't Omersa like a full year younger than the average freshman? There is a lot of potential there. He would have done well to go the prep school route.

A lot of hearsay and speculation, but there are a few nuggets that I would tend to believe - specifically that there has been dialogue between Nebraska interests and Hoiberg and that Musselman would have some interest in this situation. Coyle is so tight-lipped that anything attributed to him feels like pure speculation. My speculation would be that, like many/most of us, he likes Pitino and enjoys working with him but has nagging doubts about his abilities and potential for growth and recognizes that his conference record is historically bad by any measure.

Pitino is staying.
IW is transfering to probably St. Johns.
The 2020 guys: No Suggs or Carlson, Dainja and Walton yes. 50/50 on Dawson. I'm not blown away with Dawson's ability to score down low for a PF but at 6'10 that might come as he gets stronger.

Pitino is staying.
The 2020 guys: No Suggs or Carlson, Dainja and Walton yes. 50/50 on Dawson. I'm not blown away with Dawson's ability to score down low for a PF but at 6'10 that might come as he gets stronger.

Based on what source do you think this?

I gauge that Coyle likes Pitino and really wants to keep him. So I think it will take two major things to happen to let him go. #1 Stinker against Penn State, stinker in round 1 of NCAA (if they make it). #2 - Coyle has a strong feeling that recruiting is lagging. Those two items maybe would push Pitino out the door. But I think he has about a 70% chance of staying.

Transfer candidates - IW and Hurt. Anyone else? Omersa? I hope not him. He needs time to develop.

You mean the guy that has Minnesota tattooed across his back? Don’t think so..l

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pitino is staying.

Call me crazy, but I feel Suggs could come here. Not saying it's the highest percentage, but not out of the question.

Omersa isn't going anywhere.

Pitino is staying.

Why would St. Johns have interest? They'll essentially be down a scholarship next year while he sits out (we've seen how that can hurt a program fighting for an NCAA birth) and he hasn't shown a whole lot.

You mean the guy that has Minnesota tattooed across his back? Don’t think so..l

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think Omersa is going anywhere, but didn't Khalid El Amin get a tattoo of MN on his arm and then pick UCONN?

I'm hearing Doogies gets a cut from Hoiberg's agent. But also maybe not.

If we make the tournament, I don't think Coyle makes a move. Firing your coach after making the NCAA's twice in a row is going to get you mocked nationally, especially when you're Minnesota.

I'm hearing Doogies gets a cut from Hoiberg's agent. But also maybe not.

If we make the tournament, I don't think Coyle makes a move. Firing your coach after making the NCAA's twice in a row is going to get you mocked nationally, especially when you're Minnesota.

Saying a team made it to the NCAA tourney two years in a row when they didn't will also get you mocked.

Saying a team made it to the NCAA tourney two years in a row when they didn't will also get you mocked.

thats not what he meant.

He meant that MN already fired a coach (Tubby) that went to the NCAA in his final season. It would look bad if we did it twice, as in to two different coaches

Thank you. I was just saying this in another thread. That or he says something stupid that someone objects to and then he will find the biggest idiot in the mentions who says something outlandish and then he quotes them and replies as its some sort of validation. I wouldn't care if he put out reports like these with nothing in it, but then actually at least answer to the criticism and questions. Right now he gets offended because there is zero content in anything he writes or has no sources, and then he tries to validate his writing to those who criticize by putting idiots in their place and he gets offended.

I'm referencing firing Tubby after making the NCAAs and doing it again this time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom