State tournament

samloupete

True Gold
Reaction score
Lindsay is recruiting Katie Borowicz and I can now see why!! A sophomore and 37 points!

Is Oberg not playing for Holy Angels? I didn't see her name in either box score so far. I thought she was a senior this year.

Last edited:

Is Oberg not playing for Holy Angels? I didn't see her name in either box score so far. I thought she was a senior this year.

I believe she transferred to Kennedy.

FWIW Here's an article from last August about her commitment to Arkansas and her recovery from a back injury.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/aug/24/razorback-commit-oberg-makes-best-injury-make-hers/
An injury has been a blessing in disguise for Arkansas women’s center commitment Destinee Oberg.

She suffered a back injury in June that produced two bulging disks that pressed against nerves in her spine.

“I ended up taking the whole summer off and working out and training to get ready for my high school season,” Oberg said. “I got a trainer, and I’ve been eating better, and I’m down like 30 something pounds.”

Oberg (6-2) of Burnsville (Minn.) Academy of Holy Angel chose the Razorbacks over scholarship offers from Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, Washington and others last December.

Oberg first met Razorback Coach Mike Neighbors as a ninth-grader.

“We instantly got along, and I was gong to go there [the University of Washington]. And he moved to Arkansas, and we just kept in contact,” Oberg said. “I was able to come down and visit sometime like last June, and I got to meet all the staff and the players ... it felt like home. It felt natural to be there.”

It's been amazing to see how young some of this year's teams are. DeLasalle started 3 freshmen, Becker started 4 sophs and a freshman, Hopkins is relatively young...it goes on and on. With this abundance of upcoming talent, it's absolutely imperative for Whalen and her staff to make connections early and often. Her success as a coach will depend on it. Many renowned college coaches will be spending lots of time in Minnesota to mine this influx of talent.

Becker vs. Cooper was a fun one. Becker survives again 68-66. The younger Wheeler sister is going to be haunted by the missed lay up that could've sent it to OT.

At 8 PM Saturday at the Barn it’s future Gopher Sara Scalia and Co vs Gopher (and everybody else) recruit Paige Bueckers and Co.

At 8 PM Saturday at the Barn it’s future Gopher Sara Scalia and Co vs Gopher (and everybody else) recruit Paige Bueckers and Co.

Is the game being streamed on the internet? Link? Same link as before?
Thanks...

I
Is the game being streamed on the internet? Link? Same link as before?
Thanks...

Semifinals and Finals apparently streamed at prep45.com https://www.prep45.com

And live on channel 45. Right now (Friday eve) the 2A Semifinals are on. All Finals are Saturday.

Taped Quarterfinals still available at the link previously provided.

Update: So far the replays have worked just fine. But I had technical troubles with the streaming. Acts like overloaded server - just hourglasses forever. That’s on an iPhone. Seems to work better over an adequate WiFi.

Also note ...

https://kstp.com/sports/stillwater-...to-advance-to-state-finals/5279941/?cat=10564

And

https://kstp.com/sports/bueckers-le...ial-in-class-4a-semifinals/5279795/?cat=10564

Last edited:

Abby Hennen is only a sophomore? Seems like a decent prospect.

Minneota defeats Goodhue 40-31 for the Class A title.

BF645375-1117-4668-BA9-A-57867-C180-D4-F.jpg

69-DCF25-D-5-F54-4591-92-B4-EC00297-B7-C23.jpg

2-E979-AA2-B7-EA-4306-BCC6-2-AC00-B07027-A.jpg

Mia Curtis from Minnehaha Academy has a really nice 3-point shot! 5 so far in first half of AA Title game.

Gopher men getting steam rolled by MI. Silver lining was watching the Caledonia vs MA game. Both teams played with slot of intensity.

It was definitely a noticeable upgrade in play from A to 2A. Minnehaha Academy takes down Caledonia 72-63 for the Class 2A title.
A705153-A-EA4-A-496-B-9955-709-CE2-B9-D95-A.jpg

Hopkins should roll. Their defense is really really solid. One thing I admire about Bueckers is that she works to get her teammates involved when she really wouldn't have to. Hopefully, Paige will be playing with some of these teammates on the same floor in college (hint, hint). Cosgriff does a good job at Hopkins. Hard to imagine a Macalester grad being a successful basketball coach. (joke). His teams play team basketball, they play good D, and it seems that his rosters are always full of promising underclassmen.

I didn't realize Matt Pryor was the girls coach at Minnehaha Academy. I knew his family when he was a high school athlete. He played for Bethel University in baseball but needed Tommy John surgery. He was throwing in the low 90s. Brother John won a boys State basketball championship and went on to pitch at Lipscomb. I'm not sure if he's in a minor league anywhere. Kate (#3) was playing today as a junior wing. The Pryor family were wonderful. Good to see Minnehaha win.

It was definitely a noticeable upgrade in play from A to 2A. Minnehaha Academy takes down Caledonia 72-63 for the Class 2A title.
A705153-A-EA4-A-496-B-9955-709-CE2-B9-D95-A.jpg

Taytum Rhoades with 29 points for Minnehaha in that 2A extended battle.

In the 3A, Becker has some speed, especially in their point guard, but DeLaSalle is probably going to win this one on their defense, height, and brute muscle in the paint.

It appears that Becker has not yet played a team with that intense of a defense. DLS gets a hand on or tip of about every other Becker pass, thus far. Proves what I’ve claimed (and that the Gophers as well as Becker don’t seem to realize at times) - that almost every pass is interceptible by a hustling defense.

DeLasalle beats Becker 56-40 for the 3A title.
12-BD9257-21-A6-46-CC-B4-F1-DB7-F1156-B9-C3.jpg

973-CD28-E-46-C9-476-F-BFE0-1603038-DC507.jpg

Didn’t get a good shot, but Ashley Ellis-Milan picks up a medal as an assistant coach for DeLasalle.
11-D64832-ED1-B-4-C88-A4-E5-6051-F6-A43915.jpg

The team didn’t pose in the right direction for their team photos.
C75-BF3-BF-6-E14-4017-9-D96-0-BBA1021-E677.jpg

Hopkins team is loaded and obviously Bueckers is a phenom. I'm liking our Whalen recruit Scalia from Stillwater. She has a quick release and good ball handling skills.

29-27 Stillwater at the half

I don’t suppose there are live stats available for this game?

Little sophomore point guard for Stillwater is just a pest. I love her tenacity.
Bueckers and Scalia showing why they are D1 players.
The two guards for Stillwater are not fazed by the Hopkins press.

The U is getting a very special player in Scalia. I like her SO teammate Alexis Pratt. Hopkins is really loaded. I wouldn't mind the Gophers getting not only Bueckers, but a few of her teammates.

Win or lose, hats off to the Ponies for playing their hearts out. Hopkins is running away in the second half.

Bueckers is the new Diana Taurasi. She will be a program changer.

Maybe Pratt will want to play with Scalia?
5-E4652-C5-443-D-43-F9-AEAB-85-EB7-A3963-C2.jpg

Maybe Pratt will want to play with Scalia?
5-E4652-C5-443-D-43-F9-AEAB-85-EB7-A3963-C2.jpg

I suppose common sense would say that Pratt is too small to play D1. But wow, she’s such a spark plug, it would be fun to see her try.

Well, Hopkins just had too many scorers (something that the Gophers lacked this year). Plus Bueckers to distribute it to them. Shows how Bueckers can win games without even shooting that much. Plus Hopkins D was super intense in 2nd half, generating fast breaks off TOs and rebounds. So Hopkins rolled as expected. Stillwater couldn’t buy a vowel, let alone a bucket in 2nd half.

But Scalia and Stillwater were very impressive in first half.

I think it’s safe to say that Scalia will be able to contribute as a freshman.

Top Bottom