Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Even if there were zero government regulation of airlines, which is not realistic, there would be an inelastic market for the planes themselves. Do you honestly imagine there would be dozens of plane manufacturers and airlines "taking their business elsewhere" every time there was a crash? How long does it take to change out a fleet? 5 years? 10?
    Not to mention a lot of these deals are tainted with corruption, bribery, etc.

Not to mention barriers to entry. The only reason there are even more than one airline mfg’er is because the US props up Boeing and the EU props up Airbus.

People want to fly places, sure, and profit can be made, sure ... but only with massive direct and indirect subsidies. Very few to afford to fly otherwise. The planes are just too expensive.

Even if there were zero government regulation of airlines, which is not realistic, there would be an inelastic market for the planes themselves. Do you honestly imagine there would be dozens of plane manufacturers and airlines "taking their business elsewhere" every time there was a crash? How long does it take to change out a fleet? 5 years? 10?
    Everyone shut up. Howie says something is not realistic, and therefore is not up for debate.

Let's see. I'm saying there wouldn't be just one.... so Howie says the alternative would be dozens.

This is a really well thought out post Howie, and isn't an example of you working backwards from the point you want to make.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Everyone shut up. Howie says something is not realistic, and therefore is not up for debate.

Let's see. I'm saying there wouldn't be just one.... so Howie says the alternative would be dozens.

This is a really well thought out post Howie, and isn't an example of you working backwards from the point you want to make.
    There's no government involvement needed to regulate our airspace? Of course not.

How many would there be? And how does it address the in-elasticity issue? Your insistence the free market works equally well for every product is ridiculous.

There's no government involvement needed to regulate our airspace? Of course not.

How many would there be? And how does it address the in-elasticity issue? Your insistence the free market works equally well for every product is ridiculous.
    Ah, now we're getting to the point of the conversation where I must predict the exact outcome of an unregulated market, once again proving that Howie is completely clueless.

Blog Entries

Ah, now we're getting to the point of the conversation where I must predict the exact outcome of an unregulated market, once again proving that Howie is completely clueless.
    Yes. You declare that your fantasy-land is a perfect. But when pressed for details you lash out and pretzel.

Yes. You declare that your fantasy-land is a perfect.
    And now is the part of the conversation when Howie lies and puts words in my mouth. Every Single Time.

If you can’t prove that your ideal would be at least better than what we have, your ideal should be dismissed.

Here comes the part where he says something that doesn’t prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    If you can’t prove that your ideal would be at least better than what we have, your ideal should be dismissed.

Here comes the part where he says something that doesn’t prove it.
    Better by what measure?

Blog Entries

And now is the part of the conversation when Howie lies and puts words in my mouth. Every Single Time.
    Does the free market ever fail?

Does the free market ever fail?
    Asking the question is an admission that you don't understand what the free market is. Maybe, instead of arguing with me for another decade, take an hour and educate yourself. Read a book. Just an idea. I can recommend some videos and books if you'd like.

Blog Entries

Asking the question is an admission that you don't understand what the free market is. Maybe, instead of arguing with me for another decade, take an hour and educate yourself. Read a book. Just an idea. I can recommend some videos and books if you'd like.
    Why won't you answer the question instead of pretzeling? It's a yes or no question.

Why won't you answer the question instead of pretzeling? It's a yes or no question.
    It's not a pretzel. You don't understand what a free market is. Do you mean can bad things happen in a free market? Yes, they can.

Better by what measure?
    Whichever measure the most people would select as the best measure.

For example, an obvious one that would not be selected by most: “provides the most freedom from force” or whatever crappy language you libertarians have tattooed on your foreheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Whichever measure the most people would select as the best measure.

For example, an obvious one that would not be selected by most: “provides the most freedom from force” or whatever crappy language you libertarians have tattooed on your foreheads.
    You said prove. Now you're using, as your basis of judgement, subjective measures. Why don't you just do what you were going to do anyway and cover your eyes and declare victory.

You said prove. Now you're using, as your basis of judgement, subjective measures.
    Demonstrate, reason about, explain, convince, .... actually make an effort to try ....

You knew what was being asked, and you found a way to avoid it.