Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1

    Default 737 Max fleet is grounded in the US

    They finally got their heads out of their G-D a__es!!

    How much you wanna bet there are/were engineers at Boeing who questioned this failure mode, when it came up in tests, and were squashed by management.

    My wild guess is that there are some folks at Boeing who belong in prison, after this fatal disaster. But guessing any evidence has long been destroyed.


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    My wild guess is that there are some folks at Boeing who belong in prison, after this fatal disaster. But guessing any evidence has long been destroyed.
    Why won't the free market solve this problem?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    Why won't the free market solve this problem?
    L O L

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...on_Regulations


    Fool

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    14,553

    Default

    This is a really good piece that doesn't jump to too many conclusions.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,558
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    Why won't the free market solve this problem?
    I love how Boeing says there's no issue, but also they have a fix that will be ready soon. Supposedly it was ready in January but the shutdown delayed things 6 weeks.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Let's just say for instance that the FAA had chosen not to shut these aircraft down - which is what they initially did. How do the safety regulations you just linked to stop the free market from solving the problem?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    Let's just say for instance that the FAA had chosen not to shut these aircraft down - which is what they initially did. How do the safety regulations you just linked to stop the free market from solving the problem?
    There is no free market. Boeing is subject to tens of thousands of pages of regulations on one hand, and benefits from federal rules to eliminate competition and also subsidize their business.

    A smart person would ask, what is the sensitivity to Boeing's business from 2 of their planes crashing in a few months?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Shoreview
    Posts
    14,553

    Default

    If there's a regulation we need, it's due to this: Boeing avoided tens of billions of dollars of development costs by modifying the 737 instead of developing a new vehicle. The modification is so flawed that they need sophisticated computer algorithms to compensate - to paper over the flaws. Now they're going to try and paper over the flaw in the wallpaper. Enough! Build a good plane or don't.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    If there's a regulation we need, it's due to this: Boeing avoided tens of billions of dollars of development costs by modifying the 737 instead of developing a new vehicle. The modification is so flawed that they need sophisticated computer algorithms to compensate - to paper over the flaws. Now they're going to try and paper over the flaw in the wallpaper. Enough! Build a good plane or don't.
    Cause and effect are elusive concepts for you.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    A smart person would ask, what is the sensitivity to Boeing's business from 2 of their planes crashing in a few months?
    That's exactly what I asked.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    There is no free market. Boeing is subject to tens of thousands of pages of regulations on one hand, and benefits from federal rules to eliminate competition and also subsidize their business.

    A smart person would ask, what is the sensitivity to Boeing's business from 2 of their planes crashing in a few months?

    Boeing seems to believe there will be zero sensitivity to their business from 2 of their planes crashing in a few months. Until the government got involved Boeing was planning to keep the planes in the air and blame the crashes on pilot error.

    “We have full confidence in the safety of the 737 MAX,” Boeing said in its own statement Tuesday. “Based on the information currently available, we do not have any basis to issue new guidance to operators. https://www.wired.com/story/boeing-7...ground-safety/

    We all should be extremely happy there is no free market.
    Last edited by Cruze; 03-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    That's exactly what I asked.
    No, you asked "why doesn't the free market just solve it huurrrr durrrr"

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    There appears to be zero sensitivity to Boeing's business from 2 of their planes crashing in a few months.
    Well that's how the free market works, so if there's zero sensitivity, then you can blame government intervention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
    We should all be extremely happy there is no free market.
    Seems a bit sick to be extremely happy that 2 planes crashed and hundreds died, but I guess as a fan of the 100 million 20th century deaths, this is an improvement. I don't even want to know how happy you are about the starvation in Venezuela.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    If there's a regulation we need, it's due to this: Boeing avoided tens of billions of dollars of development costs by modifying the 737 instead of developing a new vehicle. The modification is so flawed that they need sophisticated computer algorithms to compensate - to paper over the flaws. Now they're going to try and paper over the flaw in the wallpaper. Enough! Build a good plane or don't.
    It is a variant of the 737. But they had to change the position of the new larger engines on the wings, and that altered how the aircraft handles.

    Who’d have thought!?

    But the whole point is that they (Boeing) wanted it to be that pilots certified to fly the 737 wouldn’t need to be recertified to fly the Max — it’s just a variant of the same plane, after all. They knew that’s what customers wanted. So they had to make sure it sold like that.

    Slapped a piece of software on it that would push the nose down when it sensed that the pilots weren’t handing the completely new handling plane, the right way, and called it a day.


    Boeing murdered hundreds of people, and its decision makers belong in prison.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,558
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Well that's how the free market works, so if there's zero sensitivity, then you can blame government intervention.

    Even if there were zero government regulation of airlines, which is not realistic, there would be an inelastic market for the planes themselves. Do you honestly imagine there would be dozens of plane manufacturers and airlines "taking their business elsewhere" every time there was a crash? How long does it take to change out a fleet? 5 years? 10?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •