Northwestern spring ball notes: replacing 11 starters; 10 injured players for spring

swingman

Reaction score
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/...spring-practice-with-heightened-expectations/

Spring practice injury report

Ten players were listed as injured for the start of spring ball: offensive players Ramaud Chiaokhiao-Bowman, Bennett Skowronek, Jace James, Trey Pugh and Charlie Kuhbander, and defensive players Cam Ruiz, Alex Miller, Paddy Fisher, Blake Gallagher and J.R. Pace.

Of those ten, five are out for the entire spring: Pugh, a junior superback; Fisher, a junior linebacker; Gallagher, a junior linebacker; Pace, a junior safety; and Kuhbander, a junior kicker.

Superback Cameron Green announced his retirement from football Monday, citing a family history of concussions and head injuries.

Coming off of its first trip to Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championship game, NU has certainly set the standard for the program’s expectations. The class of 2019 led the Cats to a program-record 36 wins over the last four seasons.

Along with captains Clayton Thorson, Montre Hartage and Tommy Doles, NU has lost an additional eight starters. The Cats will now have to figure out how to fill the holes and play up to the standards of the past four years.

The Hunter Johnson era begins

When the Cats kick off against Stanford on Aug. 31, it’ll be the first time in five seasons that Thorson — NU’s all-time winningest quarterback — won’t be on the sideline wearing purple and white. Thorson left his mark on the program, and now it’s time for someone new to take the reins.

Many fans believe that job will fall into the hands of Johnson, a highly-touted transfer. Johnson was ranked the No. 1 quarterback in the class of 2017, according to ESPN, and spent the entire 2018 season running the scout team and watching from the sideline.

The injury bug sucks :(

I mean I want to beat NW, but never like to see a banged up team. I know those feels.

At least they dont have to contend with being the youngest team in the country.

Haven't you heard? We're only top 5. And will continue to take fliers on large numbers of walk-ons who are freshman to make sure we never leave that space......

Haven't you heard? We're only top 5. And will continue to take fliers on large numbers of walk-ons who are freshman to make sure we never leave that space......

Top 5? Does that include special teamers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom