Georgia Southern spring game

giphy.gif

Did anyone make it out for this? Really curious as to how their back-up RB looked.

Oh wait - I missed it? Darn. I bought my plane tickets for next week. Oh well. Next year.

Their spring ball was really early. Is that common in the south where the weather is better?

Their spring ball was really early. Is that common in the south where the weather is better?

No it's not common this is the first year we have ever done it this early. I think it was for 2 reasons:

1. We don't have an indoor practice facility so thunderstorms in March / April are an issue - moving it up seemed to help.
2. It allows more time in the offseason for people having surgeries to heal and get ready for summer camp.

EDIT:

3. I also forgot that this is the first time in ages that we've had more than one sporting event happening on the weekend so they planned it on a day where there was also a major home basketball game, and baseball was home as well. Since most of our alum live 2-3 hours from Statesboro it helped attract more people to town for the weekend if they had multiple sporting events they could attend.

Last edited:

Weather being "better" is a relative term. For me, in general, weather in the south is worse. For a cross country skier, ice angler, or new snowmobile owner, it is much worse.

No it's not common this is the first year we have ever done it this early. I think it was for 2 reasons:

1. We don't have an indoor practice facility so thunderstorms in March / April are an issue - moving it up seemed to help.
2. It allows more time in the offseason for people having surgeries to heal and get ready for summer camp.

EDIT:

3. I also forgot that this is the first time in ages that we've had more than one sporting event happening on the weekend so they planned it on a day where there was also a major home basketball game, and baseball was home as well. Since most of our alum live 2-3 hours from Statesboro it helped attract more people to town for the weekend if they had multiple sporting events they could attend.

Thanks for joining the discussion. I'm sure there will be a lot more Georgia Southern game talk as it gets closer to the game date. It should be a very interesting game. The Gophers are on the upswing (return a very large portion of regular players from a team that improved throughout the year last season) and it is generally considered good prep opportunity to have Georgia Tech as our most recent bowl game, but it is always tricky to play an option team with limited prep time.

Top Bottom