Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Went back to look at it as that didn’t fit my recollection and yeah, I’d argue Bateman let up instead of powering forward into the ball. It was just beyond his fingers as a result. The way our passing game requires the qb to thread the needle through the middle of the field (and teams know what’s coming at this point) we need aggressive, fearless possession receivers to go get the ball. It wasn’t a particularly egregious pass IMO. The second INT, yep, probably a bad decision trying to connect on that long of a pass into that coverage.

About the 14:13 mark

https://youtu.be/zoelCeHK1Lo
    Thanks. The back to back nature of the INTs changed the vibe of the first half. Just never got into a rhythm on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by salzie View Post
    I think they're what Kill wanted to be. Tough, don't make mistakes, force the other team into mistakes and capitalize all without looking flashy
    Agree with that take. One of the most impressive things that has come from Fleck's first 2 years is the lack of penalties called against us. In 2017 we led the nation in fewest penalties and last year we were 5th.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college...ate=2019-01-08

Quote Originally Posted by salzie View Post
    I think they're what Kill wanted to be. Tough, don't make mistakes, force the other team into mistakes and capitalize all without looking flashy
    I wish we looked a little more flashy on offense in the Kill years...

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    I just remember wishing we looked like a team that understood the forward pass was a legal play.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    I just remember wishing we looked like a team that understood the forward pass was a legal play.

I think we all did

https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1324

Mitch Leidner

CAREER: Played in 47 career games (29-18 record) and started 41 (24-17 record as a starter) ē rushed 446 times (15th all-time in school history) for 1,495 yards (third in school history for a quarterback) and 33 career touchdowns (most in school history for a quarterback, fourth for any player) ē passed for 7,287 yards (third most in school history) and 36 touchdowns (fifth in school history) ē ranks fifth all-time in school history in completion percentage (56.4), second in completions (580) and second in attempts (1,029) ē only Minnesota quarterback ever to pass and rush for 30 career touchdowns ē ranks second all-time in total offense with 8,882 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1324

Mitch Leidner

CAREER: Played in 47 career games (29-18 record) and started 41 (24-17 record as a starter) • rushed 446 times (15th all-time in school history) for 1,495 yards (third in school history for a quarterback) and 33 career touchdowns (most in school history for a quarterback, fourth for any player) • passed for 7,287 yards (third most in school history) and 36 touchdowns (fifth in school history) • ranks fifth all-time in school history in completion percentage (56.4), second in completions (580) and second in attempts (1,029) • only Minnesota quarterback ever to pass and rush for 30 career touchdowns • ranks second all-time in total offense with 8,882 yards.
    Cool, Mitch's passing stats were cumulative because he was a 4 year starter. Or are you somehow trying to imply our passing offense looked good during those years? Here are some numbers that might show otherwise.

Team stats
    2016 - 12th in passing with 173.6 ypg
    2015 - 8th in passing with 214.8 ypg
    2014 - 13th in passing with 141.9 ypg
    2013 - 12th in passing with 148.1 ypg - there were only 12 teams in the conference at that point.

Obviously there is more to it then just yards per game but to say our passing offense was not a strong point during those years would be putting it very mildly.

Cool, Mitch's passing stats were cumulative because he was a 4 year starter. Or are you somehow trying to imply our passing offense looked good during those years? Here are some numbers that might show otherwise.

Team stats
    2016 - 12th in passing with 173.6 ypg
    2015 - 8th in passing with 214.8 ypg
    2014 - 13th in passing with 141.9 ypg
    2013 - 12th in passing with 148.1 ypg - there were only 12 teams in the conference at that point.

Obviously there is more to it then just yards per game but to say our passing offense was not a strong point during those years would be putting it very mildly.
    P. Nelson was starter a large majority of 2013, so Mitch's numbers are really from 2014-16. I'm not implying anything. Relative to themselves, he is a top five Gopher QB as a passer.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    P. Nelson was starter a large majority of 2013, so Mitch's numbers are really from 2014-16. I'm not implying anything. Relative to themselves, he is a top five Gopher QB as a passer.
    Agree. He was by most objective measures an average (and in my opinion) adequate big ten qb.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I always felt that, for whatever reason, the receiving corps during those years was pretty sad.

It seemed like most of those years they had usually one reliable pass catcher ó a K.J. Maye or a Wolitarsky ó accompanied by mostly mediocrity.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

Blog Entries

All good signs (I think Fresno beats us if they didn't go bonkers with play calling... but still good on the team for taking advantage).

I'm hopeful, but nervous.
    Fresno may be in for a surprise starting with a new look huge offensive line.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    I always felt that, for whatever reason, the receiving corps during those years was pretty sad.

It seemed like most of those years they had usually one reliable pass catcher — a K.J. Maye or a Wolitarsky — accompanied by mostly mediocrity.
    Not sure why this is turning into another Leidner thread....it all started due to a general comment about the passing game struggles during the Kill years....Think the majority agree that Mitch was an OK starter with very few resources around him in the passing game. I also think that if Mitch Leidner was on this team right now he would be comfortably situated behind both Morgan and Annexstad on the depth chart and the majority of the receivers from those years would have a really hard time getting reps with this current group.

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Fresno may be in for a surprise starting with a new look huge offensive line.
    At least from what I've seen it looks like Fresno really did loose a lot of talent. I'm still nervous as they said that last year too, and Tedford has proven to be a really good coach, but I kinda feel like just on the Fresno side they lost an amount / quality of dudes that will impact them.

If we can come out swinging on both sides of the ball ... I think we should be good.

Then again in Gopher history... we don't do that a lot. Hopefully we see that change too

I remember that too. And seeing MAC teams that had better wide receivers. And wonder what kind of mechanics it takes for the ball to spike into the ground 8 yards short of the receiver.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala