Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    That probably would have been a better match for us.
    Georgia Tech beat Virginia Tech by 3 TD on national television in Blacksburg, VA. The Georgia Tech win was a good win, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Yeah that's accurate.

Stuff like maybe our defense just doesn't hold up longer than that. I know we're running it different, but not sure if that is sustainability, or we changed the look enough that we got the job done, now someone else gets to adjust to it... and similar thoughts.

Not to say last year wasn't a good sign, absolutely was.
    I was nervous about the same things with the defense heading into the bowl game but the performance by the defense against GT put a lot of those fears to bed.

GT had a very good offense and they had a lot of time to dissect what Rossi was doing on defense leading up to the game. Had there been some major holes to exploit they would have found them most likely.

And I do think something clicked in the team over those last 4 games. I saw a dominant football team take the field, they put the hammer down on Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech and frankly outplayed Northwestern in a lot of ways just got careless with the ball. The offense was solid for most of the year but they got a major jolt from the defense finally playing well over those final few weeks. Everything came together.

No guarantee they can sustain it, but it was different then what we are used to around here. You really can't undersell confidence and momentum, especially in college sports.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    I was nervous about the same things with the defense heading into the bowl game but the performance by the defense against GT put a lot of those fears to bed.

GT had a very good offense and they had a lot of time to dissect what Rossi was doing on defense leading up to the game. Had there been some major holes to exploit they would have found them most likely.

And I do think something clicked in the team over those last 4 games. I saw a dominant football team take the field, they put the hammer down on Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech and frankly outplayed Northwestern in a lot of ways just got careless with the ball. The offense was solid for most of the year but they got a major jolt from the defense finally playing well over those final few weeks. Everything came together.

No guarantee they can sustain it, but it was different then what we are used to around here. You really can't undersell confidence and momentum, especially in college sports.
    IIRC Northwestern was able to bring a lot of pressure on Morgan and forced a fumble or two. The guys really struggled to protect - and, NW played well. Morgan’s worst game, but there was a bad hands tipped pass INT IIRC.

That drive where they marched down the field before halftime and scored on a Thorson run was catastrophic in retrospective review.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Georgia Tech beat Virginia Tech by 3 TD on national television in Blacksburg, VA. The Georgia Tech win was a good win, everyone!
    Absolutely!

But, for reasons I don't entirely fathom, it's really hard for some Minnesota fans to accept that.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

And I do think something clicked in the team over those last 4 games. I saw a dominant football team take the field, they put the hammer down on Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech and frankly outplayed Northwestern in a lot of ways just got careless with the ball.
    Serious question:

When was the last time we saw a Gopher squad dominate — not just beat, but thoroughly dismantle — three teams of that quality in one season?

I think you would have to go way back...
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Absolutely!

But, for reasons I don't entirely fathom, it's really hard for some Minnesota fans to accept that.
    Transitive property and sports don't tend to do well...

I liked the win, I'm not as hyped as most, but man transitive property and sports gets absurd almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Transitive property and sports don't tend to do well...

I liked the win, I'm not as hyped as most, but man transitive property and sports gets absurd almost immediately.
    True. I'm not going to argue that the Gophers are 9 TD better than Ohio State (via Purdue), for instance.

But folks have been saying that Va Tech and Miami were "better" opponents for the Gophers since the game was announced and based on the only things we have to measure 2018 -- head to head results and overall standings -- GT was better than those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    IIRC Northwestern was able to bring a lot of pressure on Morgan and forced a fumble or two. The guys really struggled to protect - and, NW played well. Morgan’s worst game, but there was a bad hands tipped pass INT IIRC.

That drive where they marched down the field before halftime and scored on a Thorson run was catastrophic in retrospective review.
    Posted this below in another thread...the first INT bounced around after the NW player initially caught it, so it looked like it was tipped. Both were legit INTs.

Morgan also had those INTs in back to back series against NW. He locked on the receiver in both cases. First one killed what was looking like a nice drive and most likely a Gophs score. Second one gave NW a short field and led to their first TD. Strip fumble in 4th was a killer too.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    True. I'm not going to argue that the Gophers are 9 TD better than Ohio State (via Purdue), for instance.

But folks have been saying that Va Tech and Miami were "better" opponents for the Gophers since the game was announced and based on the only things we have to measure 2018 -- head to head results and overall standings -- GT was better than those teams.
    Yes.

GT beat both head-to-head, and finished ahead of both in the ACC standings.

Seems pretty clear that GT was the best team of those three.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Posted this below in another thread...the first INT bounced around after the NW player initially caught it, so it looked like it was tipped. Both were legit INTs.

Morgan also had those INTs in back to back series against NW. He locked on the receiver in both cases. First one killed what was looking like a nice drive and most likely a Gophs score. Second one gave NW a short field and led to their first TD. Strip fumble in 4th was a killer too.
    NW played well, Morgan a redshirt freshman. Sure we want him to improve but let’s not pretend many/most young QBs lock on to receivers and tempt fate. I expect better out of both this season with their second year jump.

NW played well, Morgan a redshirt freshman. Sure we want him to improve but let’s not pretend many/most young QBs lock on to receivers and tempt fate. I expect better out of both this season with their second year jump.
    Northwestern was a really good football team last year. I still think there are a lot of people that see the name Northwestern on the schedule and assume a win regardless of how well the team is actually doing. They aren't flashy so they don't get noticed but they win a lot of games and last year they won the division by a wide margin.

That said, as you and others have pointed out, we made some young team mistakes in that game that cost us. Against a team like Northwestern you have to play well and you can't give them anything because if you do they are almost a lock to capitalize on it.

Agreed.

Northwestern was a really good football team last year. I still think there are a lot of people that see the name Northwestern on the schedule and assume a win regardless of how well the team is actually doing. They aren't flashy so they don't get noticed but they win a lot of games and last year they won the division by a wide margin.

That said, as you and others have pointed out, we made some young team mistakes in that game that cost us. Against a team like Northwestern you have to play well and you can't give them anything because if you do they are almost a lock to capitalize on it.
    Yeah I see that with a lot of predictions on here. Northwestern is pretty damn good, folks seem to predict wins vs them pretty casually.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post

Went back to look at it as that didn’t fit my recollection and yeah, I’d argue Bateman let up instead of powering forward into the ball. It was just beyond his fingers as a result. The way our passing game requires the qb to thread the needle through the middle of the field (and teams know what’s coming at this point) we need aggressive, fearless possession receivers to go get the ball. It wasn’t a particularly egregious pass IMO. The second INT, yep, probably a bad decision trying to connect on that long of a pass into that coverage.

About the 14:13 mark

https://youtu.be/zoelCeHK1Lo

I think they're what Kill wanted to be. Tough, don't make mistakes, force the other team into mistakes and capitalize all without looking flashy