Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 61
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    I didn't mean we'll find out definitively this season.

    But this is Year 3. The rubber must meet the road at some point, and Some Point is drawing quite near.
    What this year should show us is if those last 4 games were a trend or a mirage. If we can continue to play at a high level like we did against Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Georgia Tech for the entire season we should very much be in the hunt for the West title at the end of the year. And it would provide a great stepping stone into 2020 when we could very well be a favorite in the division based on the amount of experience we will have coming back.

    Obviously nothing is set in stone and as Minnesota fans we understand better than most that bad things might be lurking around any corner. But this is the most excited I have been about the prospects of this team since maybe 1999-2000 when it looked like Mason had something special brewing before he checked out mentally with his desire to get the Ohio State job and them turning him down.

    Hate to keep but those last 4 games were just so different then what we have seen around here in a long time. A ridiculously young team (8+ freshman starting on offense) grew up big time and suddenly looked like one that could make some serious noise in the Big Ten.

    All we can do at the moment is cross fingers/toes/whatever and hope that what we saw down the stretch was the start of something really special around here. Goodness knows we are due for something good to happen with Gopher Football.


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    6,998

    Default

    following up on MNVC -

    It seems like some people are just assuming that the Gophers are going to pick up exactly where they left off last season. don't get me wrong - that is certainly possible - but I don't take anything for granted, in life or in sports.

    There are questions to be answered about the 2019 Gophers - just as there are questions to answer about every team. for me, I want to see how the offense looks; does the OLine continue to develop: how do they replace the graduated seniors; how do the players coming back from injury look, etc?

    If those questions are answered positively, then yes, this could be a really fun team. But I have to see the team play before I know the answers to those questions. I'm not just going to take it on faith.

    bottom line - If you're jumping up and down at this point of the season, going "THE GOPHERS ARE GOING TO BE GREAT," you may be right - but you may be wrong. I want to see the team play before I start jumping up and down. I think the non-conference games are extremely important this year - both to answer the questions, and to hopefully get the season off on a good note.

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Eventually

    I'm not sure that's the case. I'm also not sure any given year considering the complexities are sure to show anything.
    That could be said about almost every P5 program yet there are many examples of programs improving and elevating its level of yearly average wins on a sustained basis. Wisconsin, NW (a couple times), Mich St just in the B1G. Dantonio has averaged 3 more wins per season than the combined previous five HC who preceded him. He also has, by a long shot, a higher win percentage than any of them individually as well.

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    following up on MNVC -

    It seems like some people are just assuming that the Gophers are going to pick up exactly where they left off last season. don't get me wrong - that is certainly possible - but I don't take anything for granted, in life or in sports.

    There are questions to be answered about the 2019 Gophers - just as there are questions to answer about every team. for me, I want to see how the offense looks; does the OLine continue to develop: how do they replace the graduated seniors; how do the players coming back from injury look, etc?

    If those questions are answered positively, then yes, this could be a really fun team. But I have to see the team play before I know the answers to those questions. I'm not just going to take it on faith.

    bottom line - If you're jumping up and down at this point of the season, going "THE GOPHERS ARE GOING TO BE GREAT," you may be right - but you may be wrong. I want to see the team play before I start jumping up and down. I think the non-conference games are extremely important this year - both to answer the questions, and to hopefully get the season off on a good note.
    SON not sure about you but I think my ďjumpingĒ days are over. 2 back surgeries put the kobash on me leaving the ground. However, I agree with your comments. My big concern is with our secondary. Can we tackle and cover is something I will be watching this spring and early next fall.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    following up on MNVC -

    It seems like some people are just assuming that the Gophers are going to pick up exactly where they left off last season. don't get me wrong - that is certainly possible - but I don't take anything for granted, in life or in sports.

    There are questions to be answered about the 2019 Gophers - just as there are questions to answer about every team. for me, I want to see how the offense looks; does the OLine continue to develop: how do they replace the graduated seniors; how do the players coming back from injury look, etc?

    If those questions are answered positively, then yes, this could be a really fun team. But I have to see the team play before I know the answers to those questions. I'm not just going to take it on faith.

    bottom line - If you're jumping up and down at this point of the season, going "THE GOPHERS ARE GOING TO BE GREAT," you may be right - but you may be wrong. I want to see the team play before I start jumping up and down. I think the non-conference games are extremely important this year - both to answer the questions, and to hopefully get the season off on a good note.
    Eventually — and in this particular case "eventually" means "pretty darn soon", because it's Year 3 — we need to be at a point where the program is, in fact, pretty great. I don't think they fired Tracy Claeys in hopes that the next guy's results would be about the same.

    We looked very good at the end of the season. In my mind, that level of success should be our expectation (NOT PREDICTION) going forward. How could it not be?

    If we end up with 7-8 wins in 2019, with our schedule, it won't do much to move the needle for this program. Certainly by 2020, at the very least, we need to be right there with the best in the B1G West.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,290

    Default

    Helwagen sounds like a good nickname for Mo or Shannon

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    What this year should show us is if those last 4 games were a trend or a mirage. If we can continue to play at a high level like we did against Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Georgia Tech for the entire season we should very much be in the hunt for the West title at the end of the year. And it would provide a great stepping stone into 2020 when we could very well be a favorite in the division based on the amount of experience we will have coming back.

    Obviously nothing is set in stone and as Minnesota fans we understand better than most that bad things might be lurking around any corner. But this is the most excited I have been about the prospects of this team since maybe 1999-2000 when it looked like Mason had something special brewing before he checked out mentally with his desire to get the Ohio State job and them turning him down.

    Hate to keep but those last 4 games were just so different then what we have seen around here in a long time. A ridiculously young team (8+ freshman starting on offense) grew up big time and suddenly looked like one that could make some serious noise in the Big Ten.

    All we can do at the moment is cross fingers/toes/whatever and hope that what we saw down the stretch was the start of something really special around here. Goodness knows we are due for something good to happen with Gopher Football.
    It's not like something all of the sudden clicked with the players in those games...the offense was performing for the most part...the defensive scheme handcuffed them.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    It's not like something all of the sudden clicked with the players in those games...the offense was performing for the most part...the defensive scheme handcuffed them.
    There were some things that changed and seemed to click on the offense. The move to Faalele helped the oline late in the year, the change to Morgan helped the offense...Andries, Bateman, Ibrahim, CAB, and DD all MAHtured. Seemed like more of a commitment to running the ball with two tight ends/six olinemen and less of hoping to win the downfield jump-ball helped the offense later in the year.

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    What this year should show us is if those last 4 games were a trend or a mirage. If we can continue to play at a high level like we did against Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Georgia Tech for the entire season we should very much be in the hunt for the West title at the end of the year. And it would provide a great stepping stone into 2020 when we could very well be a favorite in the division based on the amount of experience we will have coming back.

    Obviously nothing is set in stone and as Minnesota fans we understand better than most that bad things might be lurking around any corner. But this is the most excited I have been about the prospects of this team since maybe 1999-2000 when it looked like Mason had something special brewing before he checked out mentally with his desire to get the Ohio State job and them turning him down.

    Hate to keep but those last 4 games were just so different then what we have seen around here in a long time. A ridiculously young team (8+ freshman starting on offense) grew up big time and suddenly looked like one that could make some serious noise in the Big Ten.

    All we can do at the moment is cross fingers/toes/whatever and hope that what we saw down the stretch was the start of something really special around here. Goodness knows we are due for something good to happen with Gopher Football.
    Not to go full debbie downer here because I'm super happy with the end of last year.

    But 4 games ... makes me nervous.

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Not to go full debbie downer here because I'm super happy with the end of last year.

    But 4 games ... makes me nervous.
    Nervous... as in "Might have been a mirage. Too small of a sample size. We might be bad to mediocre in 2019"?

    That type of "nervous"?
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Not to go full debbie downer here because I'm super happy with the end of last year.

    But 4 games ... makes me nervous.
    it wasn't just 4 games...dominant wins vs NMSU, and Miami...good win vs a top 20 Fresno team...putting up 38 in a clutch win vs Hoosiers...showed some things scoring 31 vs a good Iowa defense...even in loss to Nebraska, offense showed some things...that's 10 games to take away good things from on offense...the defense will be so old, mature and experienced, tough not to think Rossi can continue to do well...he beat a very good passing team in Purdue, a very good running team in Wisconsin, and a uniquely high powered offense in GaTech...he also checked the Big Ten West Champs fairly well; with a little better ball is the program and a little FG help, we win that game.

  12. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Nervous... as in "Might have been a mirage. Too small of a sample size. We might be bad to mediocre in 2019"?

    That type of "nervous"?
    Yeah that's accurate.

    Stuff like maybe our defense just doesn't hold up longer than that. I know we're running it different, but not sure if that is sustainability, or we changed the look enough that we got the job done, now someone else gets to adjust to it... and similar thoughts.

    Not to say last year wasn't a good sign, absolutely was.

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingman View Post
    it wasn't just 4 games...dominant wins vs NMSU, and Miami...good win vs a top 20 Fresno team...putting up 38 in a clutch win vs Hoosiers...showed some things scoring 31 vs a good Iowa defense...even in loss to Nebraska, offense showed some things...that's 10 games to take away good things from on offense...the defense will be so old, mature and experienced, tough not to think Rossi can continue to do well...he beat a very good passing team in Purdue, a very good running team in Wisconsin, and a uniquely high powered offense in GaTech...he also checked the Big Ten West Champs fairly well; with a little better ball is the program and a little FG help, we win that game.
    All good signs (I think Fresno beats us if they didn't go bonkers with play calling... but still good on the team for taking advantage).

    I'm hopeful, but nervous.

  14. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Yeah that's accurate.

    Stuff like maybe our defense just doesn't hold up longer than that. I know we're running it different, but not sure if that is sustainability, or we changed the look enough that we got the job done, now someone else gets to adjust to it... and similar thoughts.

    Not to say last year wasn't a good sign, absolutely was.
    I think you'll be well-pleased by the end of 2019. Maybe even ecstatic.

    Definitely no longer nervous!
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    It's not like something all of the sudden clicked with the players in those games...the offense was performing for the most part...the defensive scheme handcuffed them.
    Hiring, and then keeping for as long as we did, Robb Smith really hampered what could have been a good season. We saw that we had enough quality defensive personnel to succeed after he left. Man was he bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •