Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Helwagen: Letís see where Minnesota is in five years. We might be surprised.

per Helwagen:

* Steve Says: Itís hard to mistake the direction Minnesota is headed. When the Golden Gophers get their first win over rival Wisconsin in 15 years, you know some special things could be in the offing for Minnesota and its energetic head coach P.J. Fleck.

OK, Fleck got the Gophers to a bowl game. The next step will be to make Minnesota a consistent contender in the Western Division. Step by step, this can be accomplished through recruiting gains and development. Letís see where Minnesota is in five years. We might be surprised.

https://247sports.com/college/minnes...4/#129988004_2

Go Gophers!!

This guy gets it. Not a dink.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Not a dink, except for claiming that the Gophers beat Virginia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl. I forgot to record that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    Not a dink, except for claiming that the Gophers beat Virginia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl. I forgot to record that one.
    That probably would have been a better match for us.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

5 years ago it was 2014 and the season was pretty great.

Then 2015 .... was a BRUTAL / terrible season. Jerry left.... that Kent St. game will forever be burned into my soul.... some other games I don't want to talk about.

I would have never predicted where we are now based on that.

You just never know.
    Last edited by A_Slab_of_Bacon; 03-13-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    5 years ago it was 2015 and we just had a great 2014

Then 2015 .... was a BRUTAL / terrible season. Jerry left.... that Kent St. game will forever be burned into my soul.... some other games I don't want to talk about.

You just never know.
    And then...2016 happened.

2010 was a brutal season.

5 years ago it was 2014 and the season was pretty great.

You just never know.
    Looking at the 2015 schedule we lost to 3 top 10 teams so not sure I would call it a terrible season in terms of results. Now all the stuff with Kill and what not obviously casts that season in a negative light.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    Looking at the 2015 schedule we lost to 3 top 10 teams so not sure I would call it a terrible season in terms of results. Now all the stuff with Kill and what not obviously casts that season in a negative light.
    The team didn't stink every game ... it still was a brutal year. Losses to 3 top 10 teams, at some point that's just how the schedule worked out, not an accomplishment.

The team didn't stink every game ... it still was a brutal year. Losses to 3 top 10 teams, at some point that's just how the schedule worked out, not an accomplishment.
    What 2015 cemented for me was what the ceiling was for the Kill regime. They had pulled the program up from where it was under Brew and turned the team into one that could compete most weeks. But it also never felt like a program that was on the cusp of becoming a factor in the Big Ten. Very much what the later years of the Mason tenure were like, good but never great.

Now we get to find out if Fleck can finally be the guy to take that next step and get the team over that hump in these next few years.

What 2015 cemented for me was what the ceiling was for the Kill regime. They had pulled the program up from where it was under Brew and turned the team into one that could compete most weeks. But it also never felt like a program that was on the cusp of becoming a factor in the Big Ten. Very much what the later years of the Mason tenure were like, good but never great.

Now we get to find out if Fleck can finally be the guy to take that next step and get the team over that hump in these next few years.
    Kent State specifically drove that home for me.

Like Jerry and Co. had done an amazing job building the team. And yeah kids were hurt during that game. But god damn it was Kent State was so horrible to watch and the coach's just committed to it being that way.

Our offense had remained so bad and we were just committed to it ... and Jerry was or could not straight up not going to do anything different about it ... felt like we maybe hit a ceiling in 2014 too and just like you said I felt a bit like I felt about Mason near the end, I wanted more than that and I wasn't sure Jerry & Co. could do that, ever.

Absolutely true. Well stated.

With the opening of spring practice, Year 3 has officially begun. We are right on the cusp of knowing if we've finally turned the corner here.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    Absolutely true. Well stated.

With the opening of spring practice, Year 3 has officially begun. We are right on the cusp of knowing if we've finally turned the corner here.
    Every year we're on the cusp of knowing ... we just never find out much.

Every year we're on the cusp of knowing ... we just never find out much.
    I disagree. Eventually, we always find out if we have the right coach at the helm or not.

If the goal now is to do better than the previous regime, and take the program to new heights, then... yep. We'll know pretty soon.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    I disagree. Eventually, we always find out if we have the right coach at the helm or not.

If the goal now is to do better than the previous regime, and take the program to new heights, then... yep. We'll know pretty soon.
    Eventually

I'm not sure that's the case. I'm also not sure any given year considering the complexities are sure to show anything.

Eventually

I'm not sure that's the case. I'm also not sure any given year considering the complexities are sure to show anything.
    I didn't mean we'll find out definitively this season.

But this is Year 3. The rubber must meet the road at some point, and Some Point is drawing quite near.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...