Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    145

    Default Operation Varsity Blues Largest College cheating Scam Ever Prosecuted by DOJ

    Ringleader pleads guilty in $25 million nationwide college admissions cheating scam

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...entp&PC=EMMX20


    Director of College Exam Prep at IMG Academy charged in same case

    https://www.wfla.com/news/local-news...ase/1844147877

    Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    --
    MisterGopher


  2. #2

    Default

    USC coach was involved.
    Tennis or water polo or both.



    If their athletics dept was on probation when these violations occurred, it could be the death of their tennis and/or water polo programs.

  3. #3

    Default

    Paying bribes to get out of driving your kid to practice, nice.

    The irony of all of this is that they things they were faking aren't difficult.

    One person faked their daughter being a rower, another person paid for fake test results.

    It's not that difficult to sign your kid up for test tutoring and drive them to soccer practice.

    If you have $200,000 to pay for bribes then there is absolutely no reason your kid shouldn't kick ass at everything they do.

    $200,000 could buy a full time tutor, brand new equipment every year, and a personal trainer.

    These people were busted for being lazy assholes. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by hello-world; 03-12-2019 at 09:14 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,297

    Default

    Not surprised to see a list comprised mainly of wealthy californians and assorted collaborators. You will not find a more overprivileged hive of scum and villainy except NYC and DC

    Where will the FBI turn it's all-seeing eye next? College football recruiting? The key to avoiding time in federal prison ...is pleading ignorance and stupidity as we saw following the financial crisis or hoping for Eric Holder. I'm not sure claiming a bag of your money accidentally fell behind the toilet at a recruit's house or wired to his father's bank account is the same as not understanding how or why garbage collateralized debt obligations were sold as A+ rated securities to institutional pension managers or less sophisticated types.

  5. #5

    Default

    I find it precious that Hollywood elitists are central figures in this scandal.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

    Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Not surprised to see a list comprised mainly of wealthy californians and assorted collaborators. You will not find a more overprivileged hive of scum and villainy except NYC and DC
    Not sure I agree with your broad brush strokes, but big bonus points for using the delicious phrase "overprivileged hive of scum and villainy." That was outstanding.

  7. #7

    Default

    One of the conspirators charged is the current IMG “director of college entrance exam prep”...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    Not sure I agree with your broad brush strokes, but big bonus points for using the delicious phrase "overprivileged hive of scum and villainy." That was outstanding.
    No worries, we all have our prejudices and I don’t expect everyone to agree with mine. My tangent is due to me finding some level of humor in the FBI sending out a wave of 300 agents and untold man hours on a college entrance prep scam (I imagine some less - or un- qualified applicants are admitted to selective schools for a variety of reasons every year, just as some jobseekers are awarded positions they not be the best candidate for), and contrasted with the lack of a single prosecution of an exquisitely calculated widespread fraud that harmed millions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New River, AZ
    Posts
    5,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    No worries, we all have our prejudices and I don’t expect everyone to agree with mine. My tangent is due to me finding some level of humor in the FBI sending out a wave of 300 agents and untold man hours on a college entrance prep scam (I imagine some less - or un- qualified applicants are admitted to selective schools for a variety of reasons every year, just as some jobseekers are awarded positions they not be the best candidate for), and contrasted with the lack of a single prosecution of an exquisitely calculated widespread fraud that harmed millions.
    As many as 90,000 kids didn’t get into the college they deserved because of these d-bags.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,297

    Default

    Not saying it’s ok. Obviously I take some delight in this. I don’t think this is necessarily over either...

  11. #11

    Default




    Go Gophers!!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    No worries, we all have our prejudices and I don’t expect everyone to agree with mine. My tangent is due to me finding some level of humor in the FBI sending out a wave of 300 agents and untold man hours on a college entrance prep scam (I imagine some less - or un- qualified applicants are admitted to selective schools for a variety of reasons every year, just as some jobseekers are awarded positions they not be the best candidate for), and contrasted with the lack of a single prosecution of an exquisitely calculated widespread fraud that harmed millions.
    That's what i don't get. Who has the pull to decide to dedicate resources to find out if rich and famous people spend money to get their kids privileges they don't technically deserve?

    So your the director the FBI allocating time and you sit in a room and think, maybe we should work on national prescription medication abuse and the complicity of large drug companies, maybe we should crack down on human traffickers, maybe we should do something about identity theft especially on tax return fraud, Naww... what is really important to the average american and national security is that the right kids end up as alternates on the Yale crew team.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LakerFan View Post
    That's what i don't get. Who has the pull to decide to dedicate resources to find out if rich and famous people spend money to get their kids privileges they don't technically deserve?

    So your the director the FBI allocating time and you sit in a room and think, maybe we should work on national prescription medication abuse and the complicity of large drug companies, maybe we should crack down on human traffickers, maybe we should do something about identity theft especially on tax return fraud, Naww... what is really important to the average american and national security is that the right kids end up as alternates on the Yale crew team.

    The case was probably dropped in the FBI's lap by an informant who provided them with inside information. The high profiles of the people and schools involved were undoubtedly a big reason the FBI decided to pursue the case. It was guaranteed to end up on the front page of the NY Times.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post



    Go Gophers!!
    The one mom who was in "Full House" took pictures of her daughter on a rowing machine and then did a photoshoot of her pretending to be a coxswain. She has supposedly ponied up $500,000 over time to get her kids into these schools. Geez, from what I can tell if you flash that kind of money around at some colleges they will get your kid in the door...no need for a ruse. It's disgusting...and for lack of better words, so is her family. I immediately thought of the Kardashians.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LakerFan View Post
    That's what i don't get. Who has the pull to decide to dedicate resources to find out if rich and famous people spend money to get their kids privileges they don't technically deserve?

    So your the director the FBI allocating time and you sit in a room and think, maybe we should work on national prescription medication abuse and the complicity of large drug companies, maybe we should crack down on human traffickers, maybe we should do something about identity theft especially on tax return fraud, Naww... what is really important to the average american and national security is that the right kids end up as alternates on the Yale crew team.
    I think the story states they got it as a tip while working an unrelated case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •