PPD: East Metro Player of the Year: Sara Scalia

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/...l-player-of-the-year-stillwaters-sara-scalia/

Both in practice and games. The Gophers commit — Lindsay Whalen’s first as head coach at the University of Minnesota — is averaging 23.3 points a game this season while leading Stillwater (23-2) to a No. 2 seed in this week’s Class 4A state tournament. Scalia is shooting an astonishing 41.6 percent from 3-point range, including a 7-for-7 performance from deep in a section quarterfinal victory over North St. Paul in late February.

The Stillwater sniper is the Pioneer Press East Metro girls basketball player of the year.

“Her work ethic is insane, and just her range, I’ve never seen it before,” Karlen said. “It’s just fun playing with someone like that.”

It was during her freshman year when Scalia realized she needed to add to her range. Teams would cover her like a blanket when she was within a foot or two of the 3-point line. The further back she’d go, the more open she’d get.

“I think definitely the one person that inspired me the most is (Atlanta Hawks guard) Trae Young,” Scalia said. “Because he can shoot like anywhere on the floor.”

Scalia can, too. She said her range extends to about the mid-court logo.

“(That) is probably where I won’t shoot from,” she said.

Taylor calls malarkey.

“She’s pulled up close to the logo and knocked a couple down,” he noted.

FINALISTS >

Macy Guebert, senior guard, Eastview: The best 3-and-D player in the state. Shooting 44 percent from 3-point range, and recorded 10 steals in a game this season against Lakeville South. South Dakota commit.

Frannie Hottinger, senior forward, Cretin-Derham Hall: A double-double machine, Hottinger is Cretin-Derham Hall’s all-time leading scorer and poured in a jaw-dropping 51 points in a game against Stillwater. Lehigh commit.

Lauren Jensen, junior guard, Lakeville North: Uber-talented guard leads the Panthers in scoring (27.4 ppg) and is top two in rebounds (5.3), assists, blocks and steals. Scored the game-winner in the Class 4A-Section 1 final.

Taylor McAulay, senior guard, Centennial: Drake commit carried the Cougars back to state. Averaging 19.4 point, 5.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 3.2 steals a game.

Tori Nelson, senior forward, Henry Sibley: South Dakota State commit racked up more than 2,500 points and 1,100 rebounds in her career, both program records. Scored 51 in a game against Hastings

4-20 and 1-7 from 3 point land in Stillwater’s opening round game in the State Tournament.

4-20 and 1-7 from 3 point land in Stillwater’s opening round game in the State Tournament.

I was going to give a snide remark about fitting in with this year's shooting, but I thought better:)

It's too early for curtain calls on Staples. Scalia hasn't even rneolled yet. If Staples put in the extra time in practice (not that she isn't already is), she can have a break out.

Scalia scored 20 of her 22 points in the second half leading Stillwater to a come from behind win over Eastview.

https://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/1004155

Through the first three halves of state-tournament play, Scalia -- Gopher coach Lindsay Whalen's first in-state recruit -- may have been trying too hard to show she deserved the scholarship, forcing things that weren't there. She had hit just five of her first 28 shots.

Things began clicking for Scalia in the second half.

With Stillwater trailing 32-25, Scalia went on a run by herself, scoring six consecutive points to cut the deficit to 32-31.

Her sudden success seemed to energize the entire Stillwater roster. The Ponies' pressure defense started to have an effect on Eastview, which started turning the ball over and missing shots the Lightning had made previously

She's looking good tonight. She has a quick release and good ball handling skills.

Interesting release point (from her chest), but it seems to work for her.

Interesting release point (from her chest), but it seems to work for her.
Yes. It comes from the hip, which allows her to shoot well from further out, but it makes her release quite low. If she can catch and shoot coming off screens she will do well. If she has to create her own space she may find it hard to get her shot off at the D1 level.
Her shot is quick so she has that benefit as well. She should be a nice addition for the Gophers.

First time watching Scalia and my only complaint is that she seemed pretty out of control at times, as in throwing up shots that had about a 1% chance to go in. But that can be reigned in next year.

First time watching Scalia and my only complaint is that she seemed pretty out of control at times, as in throwing up shots that had about a 1% chance to go in. But that can be reigned in next year.

She’s very slender too. Would be nice to add some strength, but I’m doubting it’s in the cards.

Top Bottom