Shama: Gophers’ Coffey to Test NBA Interest

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Amir’s father, Richard Coffey, told Sports Headliners yesterday that in the weeks ahead the two of them want to determine NBA interest. “He’s a junior, so why not? He’ll look at the process (feedback),” Richard said. “But right now we’re not even talking about those things. We’re just trying to get through the season. There will be plenty of time to have those discussions after the season is over.”

A college underclassman can receive information from the NBA about potential draft status without sacrificing remaining eligibility. Coffey knows he has room for improvement but he is regarded as one of the Big Ten’s best players. His length and versatile skill set allows him to play multiple positions and score inside and out. That projects well in the modern NBA game.

Next season the Gophers could be without four guards who are presently on the roster. Dupree McBrayer and Brock Stull are seniors, while Coffey could leave school early and sophomore Isaiah Washington has prompted speculation he will transfer after not being used in a game since February 24.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

No wonder we've seen a fire under his a** the last few games! I hope the scouts are honest with him that he would not be a first round pick and tell him to work on his ball handling, left hand, and quicker release.

No wonder we've seen a fire under his a** the last few games! I hope the scouts are honest with him that he would not be a first round pick and tell him to work on his ball handling, left hand, and quicker release.

He promises to work really hard on his left hand

per Shama:

Amir’s father, Richard Coffey, told Sports Headliners yesterday that in the weeks ahead the two of them want to determine NBA interest. “He’s a junior, so why not? He’ll look at the process (feedback),” Richard said. “But right now we’re not even talking about those things. We’re just trying to get through the season. There will be plenty of time to have those discussions after the season is over.”

A college underclassman can receive information from the NBA about potential draft status without sacrificing remaining eligibility. Coffey knows he has room for improvement but he is regarded as one of the Big Ten’s best players. His length and versatile skill set allows him to play multiple positions and score inside and out. That projects well in the modern NBA game.

Next season the Gophers could be without four guards who are presently on the roster. Dupree McBrayer and Brock Stull are seniors, while Coffey could leave school early and sophomore Isaiah Washington has prompted speculation he will transfer after not being used in a game since February 24.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I would totally understand it if people are speculating this, but has IW himself actually said anything? If not, isn't it irresponsible to report that IW himself is prompting speculation?

Honestly, I would be surprised if he gets a lot of love in the tryouts. I think he'll be back.

Honestly, I would be surprised if he gets a lot of love in the tryouts. I think he'll be back.

Let's hope he impresses...we wish for nothing but the best for those who give their all and represent. There is a lot for the NBA to like with his size and ability. Good luck Coffey family!

What is the incentive for a particular NBA team to suggest he return to school? The more undrafted or second round players who forfeit their eligibility, the cheaper those players are. If a kid comes out a year early, he might get paid minimum salary, where - for some - they could have commanded higher salary and multiple years the following year. First round talent - a year later - at a 2nd round price. Does this make sense? “Yes, Amir, we are VERY interested. You should declare. (Time passes, Amir is undrafted and there are several others.) Hey, Amir, come try out. If you make the team, you get minimum pay. Or G League.”

Just curious if I’m onto something or on something.....

I would totally understand it if people are speculating this, but has IW himself actually said anything? If not, isn't it irresponsible to report that IW himself is prompting speculation?

Irresponsible, or piss-poor reporting. Or both.

JTG

What is the incentive for a particular NBA team to suggest he return to school? The more undrafted or second round players who forfeit their eligibility, the cheaper those players are. If a kid comes out a year early, he might get paid minimum salary, where - for some - they could have commanded higher salary and multiple years the following year. First round talent - a year later - at a 2nd round price. Does this make sense? “Yes, Amir, we are VERY interested. You should declare. (Time passes, Amir is undrafted and there are several others.) Hey, Amir, come try out. If you make the team, you get minimum pay. Or G League.”

Just curious if I’m onto something or on something.....

No. There isn't much variation in salaries among second rounders and undrafted free agents coming out of college but, if you don't give them some kind of contract, you can't retain their rights. Also, the longer you wait to enter the NBA, more often than not, the less you are valued. There are occasional exceptions for later bloomers (like Buddy Hield) but not many seniors are drafted in the first round (only 2 in 2018, 2 in 2017, 5 in 2016, and 4 in 2015) and they're usually drafted in the lower portion of the round.

Let's hope he impresses...we wish for nothing but the best for those who give their all and represent. There is a lot for the NBA to like with his size and ability. Good luck Coffey family!

Let's hope he doesn't enough to make him declare. This team is in big trouble most likely if he doesn't come back...

NBA Scouts do not care about the last few games...they look at potential followed by production

I have to think Coffey isn't going anywhere. He has been far too inconsistent this year to make the leap to the NBA unless he really makes a name for himself in the tournament. I think that one of the things that he needs is to come back and play off the ball with a true PG running the offense. Right now he's a player without a position. He's not a PG at the next level and that's basically all he's been playing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Would have to think he'll be back next year. The feedback process is designed specifically for this type of situation. You have a really good college player and he wants to gauge where he will be drafted next year. Which to be honest, unless he has a Steph Curry like NCAA tournament (Good Lord that would be awesome), will probably not be in either of the first two rounds, and definitely not a first round pick based off of his play this year. Coffee is a great player, and one of my favorite Gophers. But he still needs to work on his ball handling, playmaking ability, finishing in traffic with his right hand, and consistent three point shooting both off the dribble and catch and shoot. What every Gophers fan should hope for is that this is the type of feedback he gets this offseason, and decides to work at these things to make himself an even better player, and get drafted next year. Would love to see that

Top Bottom