All Things 2019 Gophers Spring Football Thread (Tweets, Articles, Video and More)

Clark must have digressed quite a bit then from his high school playing days. I sure hope it's not Ciarrocca teaching those high floater passes that I saw Tanner and Zach throwing all last season because Clark certainly wasn't. That, or you really don't have much of an eye for QB'ing. I'll go with the latter.
Couldn't have anything to do with the level of competition? Maybe you throw more floaters when you have big ten d-lineman chasing after you?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Couldn't have anything to do with the level of competition? Maybe you throw more floaters when you have big ten d-lineman chasing after you?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

If you're Tanner or Zach you certainly do. But I didn't notice that from Haskins so I can't say that really is the case.

Clark must have digressed quite a bit then from his high school playing days. I sure hope it's not Ciarrocca teaching those high floater passes that I saw Tanner and Zach throwing all last season because Clark certainly wasn't. That, or you really don't have much of an eye for QB'ing. I'll go with the latter.

This is a thread about Spring practice. You saw Clark play in high school? Highlight vids are just that, carefully selected highlights. Remember this guy?

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4042376/Victor-Viramontes

This is a thread about Spring practice. You saw Clark play in high school? Highlight vids are just that, carefully selected highlights. Remember this guy?

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4042376/Victor-Viramontes

Vic was pretty crappy too honestly. And yes, I'm fully aware this string is about Spring practice. I'll promise you I've watched and reviewed more Quarterbacks in my career than you've even known. And yes, I've watched Clark play in high school several times. Any other questions?

Vic was pretty crappy too honestly. And yes, I'm fully aware this string is about Spring practice. I'll promise you I've watched and reviewed more Quarterbacks in my career than you've even known. And yes, I've watched Clark play in high school several times. Any other questions?

What color is the sky in your world?

What color is the sky in your world?

It doesn’t take Magnum PI to deduce GoGo’s #12 was JC at Rockwell and join date of June 2018 coincides with the commitment. Total body of evidence leads me to think this may be a relative, a coach, a trainer.

We’ll get to see some their arm strength during the spring game in a couple weeks and I’m pretty interested to see the new guys. You know my position: TM2 was so competent in his short stint vs Big Ten teams it would be crazy to go with anyone else unless there’s a clear gap in the offseason. If one of ZA or JC is that much better in terms of accuracy, decisiveness, extending plays, and yes delivering the deep ball then the team will be in fine shape indeed.

I would love to read a post that isn't full of cat fighting

I would love to read a post that isn't full of cat fighting

This! I feel like I'm watching ny 8 yr olds bicker about who made the mess with the toys.

Hoping for more details please about actual practice.

It doesn’t take Magnum PI to deduce GoGo’s #12 was JC at Rockwell and join date of June 2018 coincides with the commitment. Total body of evidence leads me to think this may be a relative, a coach, a trainer.

We’ll get to see some their arm strength during the spring game in a couple weeks and I’m pretty interested to see the new guys. You know my position: TM2 was so competent in his short stint vs Big Ten teams it would be crazy to go with anyone else unless there’s a clear gap in the offseason. If one of ZA or JC is that much better in terms of accuracy, decisiveness, extending plays, and yes delivering the deep ball then the team will be in fine shape indeed.
Nice work Sherlock but not quite. #12 was my high school and college number. Long story but I signed up my pops so he could keep up with his beloved Gophers (graduated in the early 70s). His eyes aren’t so good so I keep him up to speed during our talks. He is/was over the moon excited with a Texas QB committing to the Gophers. The screename was his idea after a couple of failed attempts with names already in use.
I’m about 4 hours from the DFW area. I’m actually fairly close to where Jack York will be playing now. I work with quarterbacks part-time and pen the occasional article as a freelance writer for various publications/services.

This! I feel like I'm watching ny 8 yr olds bicker about who made the mess with the toys.

Hoping for more details please about actual practice.

I’d argue 6 year olds but that’s nitpicking and I don’t like to do that.

I agree it would be nice to hear from more attendees. Surely more than 2 or 3 fans that are diehard enough to give up several hours of their time to see a spring practice are members here?

Nice work Sherlock but not quite. #12 was my high school and college number. Long story but I signed up my pops so he could keep up with his beloved Gophers (graduated in the early 70s). His eyes aren’t so good so I keep him up to speed during our talks. He is/was over the moon excited with a Texas QB committing to the Gophers. The screename was his idea after a couple of failed attempts with names already in use.
I’m about 4 hours from the DFW area. I’m actually fairly close to where Jack York will be playing now. I work with quarterbacks part-time and pen the occasional article as a freelance writer for various publications/services.

We all hope Clark is the next Tom Brady. It's not like anyone is wishing him ill will and if he surpasses Morgan/Zach this year that will be a good thing because it means we have a really good QB. We're just saying the best way to compare the QBs is to see them all against the same level of competition. Don't want to derail this thread anymore, but for comparison's sake, below are all 4 QB's high school highlights. Kramer actually has some nice zip on some of his throws.

Here are some of Zach's HS highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3081536/5a08a974dfe2a708c4a2bdc4
and Tanner's: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5092475/5840554cdfd8b91c580dcc10
and Clark's: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7448372/5bfb3c635b478907901e41ce
and Kramer's: https://www.hudl.com/profile/5655002/Cole-Kramer

Were this true, one might think you could rise above a little criticism without going full defense mode. Just a thought...

We all hope Clark is the next Tom Brady. It's not like anyone is wishing him ill will and if he surpasses Morgan/Zach this year that will be a good thing because it means we have a really good QB. We're just saying the best way to compare the QBs is to see them all against the same level of competition. Don't want to derail this thread anymore, but for comparison's sake, below are all 4 QB's high school highlights. Kramer actually has some nice zip on some of his throws.

Here are some of Zach's HS highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3081536/5a08a974dfe2a708c4a2bdc4
and Tanner's: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5092475/5840554cdfd8b91c580dcc10
and Clark's: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7448372/5bfb3c635b478907901e41ce
and Kramer's: https://www.hudl.com/profile/5655002/Cole-Kramer

TM clearly has the best video quality.

If any of this was true, you wouldn't be writing this post. Sherlock.

If any of this was true, you wouldn't be writing this post. Sherlock.

OK and whatever.

I interjected on this topic because I felt the board needed some actual insight instead of the typical assumptions I had been reading. I simply challenged the false notion that a freshman, any freshman would be on the same level one week into spring practice as veteran QBs. It's a common sense assertion and to challenge or disagree pretty much shows a lack of knowledge on the subject.

I've seen Clark play. I've seen Morgan play. I've seen Annexsted play. Mechanically speaking, Clark is ahead of them. In terms of velocity, Clark is ahead of them. In terms of accuracy/ball placement, Clark is ahead of them although I suppose it could be argued the variance in competition could factor here. Both incumbents have a full spring or two under their belts and each have one-half a season of game experience to their advantage. I haven't seen Kramer play so I can't really give much insight. His highlight film looks pretty solid but as someone mentioned, everyone looks good in their highlights.

I'll slip back into the shadows now and will no longer challenge false assumptions. GoGophers.

OK and whatever.

I interjected on this topic because I felt the board needed some actual insight instead of the typical assumptions I had been reading. I simply challenged the false notion that a freshman, any freshman would be on the same level one week into spring practice as veteran QBs. It's a common sense assertion and to challenge or disagree pretty much shows a lack of knowledge on the subject.

I've seen Clark play. I've seen Morgan play. I've seen Annexsted play. Mechanically speaking, Clark is ahead of them. In terms of velocity, Clark is ahead of them. In terms of accuracy/ball placement, Clark is ahead of them although I suppose it could be argued the variance in competition could factor here. Both incumbents have a full spring or two under their belts and each have one-half a season of game experience to their advantage. I haven't seen Kramer play so I can't really give much insight. His highlight film looks pretty solid but as someone mentioned, everyone looks good in their highlights.

I'll slip back into the shadows now and will no longer challenge false assumptions. GoGophers.

Appeals to authority always work well, particularly when there is no way to verify your "credentials."

How you feel about the QBs relative to each other is truly meaningless, especially when one takes into account the fact that football people much smarter and more highly compensated than you make mistakes on QBs all the time. You may be right that Clark is more mechanically sound, has a stronger arm, is more accurate (though I highly, highly doubt it), but there is more than a smidgen of bias in each and every one of your posts.

Appeals to authority always work well, particularly when there is no way to verify your "credentials."

How you feel about the QBs relative to each other is truly meaningless, especially when one takes into account the fact that football people much smarter and more highly compensated than you make mistakes on QBs all the time. You may be right that Clark is more mechanically sound, has a stronger arm, is more accurate (though I highly, highly doubt it), but there is more than a smidgen of bias in each and every one of your posts.

In other words, you don't think that GoGoGopher12 is worthy of his own opinion, and heaven forbid he might know a thing or two about the QB position.

Last edited:

No inside information whatsoever - just a reasonable hypothesis:

If Clark is obviously and clearly superior to Morgan or Annexstad, he'll play this year. If he is not obviously and clearly superior, he won't play this year - except in an absolute emergency.

I would guess that, even if Clark is deemed to be equal to Morgan or Annexstad, he won't play. he has to be the clear #1 to move ahead on the depth chart. And that's the way it should be. a Returning starter at QB (and Morgan and Annexstad could each be in that category) should be ahead of a true FR.

In other words, you don't think that GoGoGopher12 is worthy of his own opinion, and heaven forbid he might now a thing or two about the QB position.

It’s true. JC12 hudl

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M4vdciyQpBs?start=94" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No inside information whatsoever - just a reasonable hypothesis:

If Clark is obviously and clearly superior to Morgan or Annexstad, he'll play this year. If he is not obviously and clearly superior, he won't play this year - except in an absolute emergency.

I would guess that, even if Clark is deemed to be equal to Morgan or Annexstad, he won't play. he has to be the clear #1 to move ahead on the depth chart. And that's the way it should be. a Returning starter at QB (and Morgan and Annexstad could each be in that category) should be ahead of a true FR.

Well said, agree.

It’s true. JC12 hudl

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M4vdciyQpBs?start=94" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks to struggle with mobility.

Yep, I've posted the same...ZA will need to clearly be the better choice for Fleck to go with him over Morgan. I think those two will push each other hard, so they will continue to improve right up to the opener. Clark would have to come a long way to be seen as the clear choice and leapfrog over those two to be the #1, but history and the odds are not in his favor.

I’d like to see him in some blowout situations in 4 games early in the season to kick the tires.

Only scary thing would be is if he looks really good. Then the first glimpse of struggle from the two sophomores and we have a an controversy. Cause everyone loves a backup.

Is there an open practice this upcoming week?

Tuesday. Unfortunately, I have a work conflict, otherwise I would go and report back. Hopefully there will be other GHers able to attend and post their observations. I'll be able to attend the last open practice and the Spring game.

Fox 9: Gophers have swagger, Winfield Jr. 'blessed' to be back

PJ Fleck thinks there's a chance the University of Minnesota football team is turning a corner.

He’s talked at length this spring about when the metaphoric light turns on for both a team and a player. He hasn’t said what that moment is yet for the Gophers or even if it’s happened yet. If the Gophers find themselves to be an annual contender for a Big Ten championship, they can point to the end of the 2018 season as that moment.

The strong finish appears to have translated into a swagger at spring practice. The music is loud, the energy is high and the scene is chaotic for a college football program, and that’s just the way Fleck likes it. They returned from Spring Break on Monday and held their second open workout Tuesday afternoon.

“I like the way our guys our working, I think that’s five really good practices put together. I love the way they’re working, that’s what I’m looking at,” Fleck said. “You can start to feel this team being a player-led team. You can start to feel the players taking ownership of each other and that’s fun.”

http://www.fox9.com/sports/gophers-have-swagger-winfield-jr-blessed-to-be-back

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom