All Things 2019 Gophers Spring Football Thread (Tweets, Articles, Video and More)

You could say that about most threads in GH. :)

Well, we've gone fairly deep into the woods on Hot QB Topic #1: "Who Throws the Best Deep Pass?"

But we haven't even begun to argue about Hot QB Topic #2: "Who Throws the Best Spiral?"

Well, we've gone fairly deep into the woods on Hot QB Topic #1: "Who Throws the Best Deep Pass?"

But we haven't even begun to argue about Hot QB Topic #2: "Who Throws the Best Spiral?"

Not worth arguing #2. Clearly TM2 throws a much better spiral and therefore a ball that is much more accurate and easier to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worth arguing #2. Clearly TM2 throws a much better spiral and therefore a ball that is much more accurate and easier to catch.

I meant it as a bit of a joke. I doubt Peyton Manning will be remembered for his ability to throw a tight spiral. It's a really silly way to measure the effectiveness of a QB.

In my opinion, 'The Deep Ball', holiest of holies, is overrated as well. Not as pointless as 'Spiral", but still overrated.

Look - it's fun to see a deep ball down field, but it's not essential. You can win games with a good running game and a controlled passing game.

I would rather have a QB who can hit a high % of those 10 and 15-yard intermediate routes, and move the sticks on 3rd down. If you can run for 200 yds+ and pass for 150 yds or so, that's 350 yds offense, and that's enough to win most games if the defense and special teams are doing their job.

Honestly, I don't care if they complete a long bomb all season, as long as they win.

Sure, arm strength is nice, but I rate accuracy over arm strength every time, just as long as the QB has enough zip to compete a 15-yard curl or sideline pattern. Just hit the receivers in stride, and let them run.

Look - it's fun to see a deep ball down field, but it's not essential. You can win games with a good running game and a controlled passing game.

I would rather have a QB who can hit a high % of those 10 and 15-yard intermediate routes, and move the sticks on 3rd down. If you can run for 200 yds+ and pass for 150 yds or so, that's 350 yds offense, and that's enough to win most games if the defense and special teams are doing their job.

Honestly, I don't care if they complete a long bomb all season, as long as they win.

Sure, arm strength is nice, but I rate accuracy over arm strength every time, just as long as the QB has enough zip to compete a 15-yard curl or sideline pattern. Just hit the receivers in stride, and let them run.

Well yeah, as long as they win who cares. But the best compliment to a great running game is a lethal deep passing game. No surprise that the teams in the playoffs all seemed to have the ability to take the top off of a defense.

I meant it as a bit of a joke. I doubt Peyton Manning will be remembered for his ability to throw a tight spiral. It's a really silly way to measure the effectiveness of a QB.

In my opinion, 'The Deep Ball', holiest of holies, is overrated as well. Not as pointless as 'Spiral", but still overrated.

So did Spoofin.

Day 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rCL8IuK36vI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who’s face is that at the very end of the video? One of the captains?

Who’s face is that at the very end of the video? One of the captains?

I had to ponder the intent of this question for a moment or two before I got it.

I totally agree with you. Actually, long bombs mean your defense has less rest.

You can rationalize just about anything if you try hard enough. smh

Well yeah, as long as they win who cares. But the best compliment to a great running game is a lethal deep passing game. No surprise that the teams in the playoffs all seemed to have the ability to take the top off of a defense.

I don't think that it matters very much if it's Morgan or Annexstad. As long as the Gophers can have an effective ball-control offense, I think that either QB can lead the team to 7-5 or 8-4 records if they avoid costly mistakes. By the same token, I don't think that either of them can pass well enough to carry the team if the other team shuts down the Gophers' rushing attack.
In J.J. McCarthy's interview, he stated the Gopher coaches told him that they need a national recruit at QB to get the Gophers "over the hump". Maybe Jacob Clark can do that by 2020---I don't know. The Gophers don't seem to be in on any QB's like that for 2020 recruiting; So I may need to wait for 2021 recruiting.
People may say that I should be satisfied with 7-5 or 8-4. I've suffered through so many mediocre seasons that I want to dream big!!

I think we got a glimpse of how the staff feels about the long ball last year, with what seemed like at least a few "50-50"-type throws each game. And by the second half of the season, we actually started completing some of those.

Judging by the ability of our receiving corps to make those catches, I expect we'll see more of the same this fall.

JTG

Interestingly, the Gophs averaged 378 yards per game last year: 215 yards passing and 163 yards rushing. I seem to recall that one of the coaches (Ciarrocca?) articulated a goal of 400 yards per game this year. So I think 350 is a little low. In any event, I understand your point. An exciting deep-ball passing attack is not essential for 10 wins.

I totally agree with you. Actually, long bombs mean your defense has less rest.

True, but they can also deflate an opponents energy/ will. Don't think a team needs to live and die by it. Just think it's nice to have that ability. Especially in the fourth quarter.

Interestingly, the Gophs averaged 378 yards per game last year: 215 yards passing and 163 yards rushing. I seem to recall that one of the coaches (Ciarrocca?) articulated a goal of 400 yards per game this year. So I think 350 is a little low. In any event, I understand your point. An exciting deep-ball passing attack is not essential for 10 wins.

If you are a good defensive coordinator and the team you're playing next week doesn't even attempt deep passes, how might you adjust and play your safeties? Let's say that team has a pretty solid running game and the throws they do attempt are only in that 15 yards or less range. Do you play a lot of cover 2 in that case or do you play more of a nickle or cover 0 and keep your defenders stacked?

Those deep passes may just be sexy or exciting to some, but attempting and more importantly, completing them on a regular basis sure forces the opposing defense to be honest which expands what you're able to do on offense as a whole.

I don't think that it matters very much if it's Morgan or Annexstad. As long as the Gophers can have an effective ball-control offense, I think that either QB can lead the team to 7-5 or 8-4 records if they avoid costly mistakes. By the same token, I don't think that either of them can pass well enough to carry the team if the other team shuts down the Gophers' rushing attack.
In J.J. McCarthy's interview, he stated the Gopher coaches told him that they need a national recruit at QB to get the Gophers "over the hump". Maybe Jacob Clark can do that by 2020---I don't know. The Gophers don't seem to be in on any QB's like that for 2020 recruiting; So I may need to wait for 2021 recruiting.
People may say that I should be satisfied with 7-5 or 8-4. I've suffered through so many mediocre seasons that I want to dream big!!

Yeah, that would help but I think the top guys are going to hold out until PJ shows he can win at a high level. Our competitors/rivals to east and south over the years have largely fielded game managers at QB, solid to elite defense, and solid to elite running games and special teams.

Given the significant miss rate on 4 and 5 star QBs in college I would sooner bet on that solid defense/solid running game/ solid STs to help build a consistently competitive program and cement PJ as a fixture at MN. Given the program’s woeful history in the passing department rival recruiters will surely fill players heads with worst case scenarios should PJ be let go or more positively if he has success and moves up to a helmet program. Then again, immediate eligibility may actually aid us in that department if players feel they won’t be set back if their coach leaves.

If a QB doesn't have a spiral rating of at least 72, you might as well just run the ball every play.

If a QB doesn't have a spiral rating of at least 72, you might as well just run the ball every play.

LOL. I need some context. Who is the last Gopher QB with a spiral rating of 72 or greater? What is the spiral rating (SR) of the last 5 Gopher QB1's?

If you are a good defensive coordinator and the team you're playing next week doesn't even attempt deep passes, how might you adjust and play your safeties? Let's say that team has a pretty solid running game and the throws they do attempt are only in that 15 yards or less range. Do you play a lot of cover 2 in that case or do you play more of a nickle or cover 0 and keep your defenders stacked?

Those deep passes may just be sexy or exciting to some, but attempting and more importantly, completing them on a regular basis sure forces the opposing defense to be honest which expands what you're able to do on offense as a whole.

Well stated. Exactly my point. Great teams have a strong running game and a strong passing game, including the ability to take the top off a defense. "Well, why not just have a strong running game and a short passing game?" You answered why exactly.

LOL. I need some context. Who is the last Gopher QB with a spiral rating of 72 or greater? What is the spiral rating (SR) of the last 5 Gopher QB1's?

It's something I just invented. Very scientific formula. It rates their spirals from 1 to 177.

Hey, son, I think 350 is mighty low. Minnesota should shoot for 400, at 200/200. This offense is that well balanced. I'll even bet the passing game surpasses the running game, as the play action will kill a lot of defenses in 2019.

It's something I just invented. Very scientific formula. It rates their spirals from 1 to 177.

We recently had a QB that could throw tumbling bricks 20 yards on a line. I think trajectory and velocity and overall beauty factor has to play into a rating. A wounded duck moonball isnt as impressive IMHO.

Top Bottom