STrib: P.J. Fleck brimming with confidence as Gophers open spring football practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

P.J. Fleck’s first spring practices with the Gophers came at him fast, just two months after he was hired in 2017. He didn’t know what he had to work with and admittedly just tried to position these unfamiliar players for as much success as possible under a new football coach.

Last year, he brought in his first recruiting class. But while there was excitement to see the potential in March, the very young team still carried many unknowns.

Year 3 of spring ball begins Tuesday. And all those uncertainties are history for Fleck.

“We know what we’re going to be,” Fleck said. “Now I know what kind of football team we have. I know our personality. I know what we want to become. I know what we’re good at, what we’re not good at. You have a lot more information.”

Fleck’s goal this spring is to master the Gophers offense and defense. In essence, he laid the foundation in Year 1, he cemented that knowledge in Year 2 and now it’s all about perfecting.

It all culminates in the spring game April 13. But even though all of this is just rehearsal, Fleck isn’t taking this time for granted.

“It matters,” he said. “It really matters.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...hers-open-spring-football-practice/507014932/

Go Gophers!!

Fleck is "brimming with confidence", you say?

Quick! Somebody throw a wet blanket on that guy! Otherwise, his confidence will melt all our snow...

Expectations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“...Last year, he brought in his first recruiting class...”

Someone want to tell Megan?

“...Last year, he brought in his first recruiting class...”

Someone want to tell Megan?

Probably too early to judge, but not overly impressed with her reporting so far.

Funny because I’ve been a bit giddy thinking about the 2019 team lately...but am super paranoid about vocalizing hope for a MN sports team.

Fleck’s recruiting class of 2018 was stellar and the infusion of talent on both sides of the ball will be more apparent this year. Smith, Faalale and Bateman were true frosh standouts but the sleeper guys 247 reported on The other day included Annexstad, Rush and Teague, showing the depth of the class. Add in Spann-Ford, Dunlap, Williams, Manns , Oliver, Sapp and Ahanotu and you have a class that intertwines high upside and development like I have not seen....can’t wait to see what these 2019 kids look like.

someone needs to tell Fleck that Athlon has determined he has the 12th best job in the B1G. That would balance out all these optimistic tidbits.

Top Bottom