# of Scholarships

TNGophfan

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on reducing the # of scholarships to 10 or 12? Would it spread more talent around or just make the bottom feeders worse by reducing depth. You could still roster 13 but some would be walk-ons or you could split scholarships like in some other sports.

I know there are exceptions (Virginia and look out for Memphis), but I kind of get tired of Duke, NC, Kansas, Michigan State, etc dominating every year. Maybe it doesnt matter and best coaches will always win and get the best talent but, after the top 10, there seems to be a pretty big drop-off in talent and ability.

Probably never happen but looking at ways to maybe level the playing field more. I like college hoops, but I like it a lot more when I think my team has a chance to m make a long run.

Would favor teams with good walk ons by a lot.

A limit of 10 would mean 2 injuries leaves you needing 2 walk ons to play 5 on 5 in practice.
If your walk ons aren’t any good, there goes your practice.

What are your thoughts on reducing the # of scholarships to 10 or 12? Would it spread more talent around or just make the bottom feeders worse by reducing depth. You could still roster 13 but some would be walk-ons or you could split scholarships like in some other sports.

I know there are exceptions (Virginia and look out for Memphis), but I kind of get tired of Duke, NC, Kansas, Michigan State, etc dominating every year. Maybe it doesnt matter and best coaches will always win and get the best talent but, after the top 10, there seems to be a pretty big drop-off in talent and ability.

Probably never happen but looking at ways to maybe level the playing field more. I like college hoops, but I like it a lot more when I think my team has a chance to m make a long run.

It would be another rich get richer scheme, as the big schools would have way more resources to coax and recruit walk-ons. There are teams all over the country now struggling to field teams with more than seven or eight players. reducing scholarships would worsen that problem exponentially.

Especially, with the trend of guys transferring it would seem to make more sense to increase scholarships to 15. It's not like the Big Ten, ACC, etc basketball teams don't make any revenue.

Would that just move the sport to partial scholarships?

I mean Pitino likes to operate with 10 eligible players anyways... so wouldn't effect us much.

Top Bottom