A #1 seed has yet to win a conference tournament

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Liberty (#2 ASUN)
Murray State (#2 OVC)
Gardner-Webb (#4 Big South)
Bradley (#5 MVC)

#1 seeds Wofford (SoCon) and Iona (MAAC) can end that drought tonight. Wofford losing to NC-Greensboro would result in an at-large bid getting stolen.

Liberty (#2 ASUN)
Murray State (#2 OVC)
Bradley (#5 MVC)

#1 seeds Wofford (SoCon) and Iona (MAAC) can end that drought tonight. Wofford losing to NC-Greensboro would result in an at-large bid getting stolen.

Wofford has beaten NC-Greensboro twice this year by an average of 29.5 points. Which means they will probably lose tonight because it's March and weird things happen in March.

Wofford has beaten NC-Greensboro twice this year by an average of 29.5 points. Which means they will probably lose tonight because it's March and weird things happen in March.

Weird, and crazy. Yesterday was kind of a nice kick-in to the madness.

Bradley coming back from 18 down in the second half after scoring 15 points in the first half. The Lipscomb-Liberty game was fanstastic. Iowa's meltdown. Badgers needing OT after choking away a 23-point lead.

Wofford better win. If you argue for them by merit, your argument is "They have 25 wins and a high RPI and NET", neither which are used directly to determine whether a team should be in or not.

Wofford's top wins:
#41 Furman
#41 Furman
#57 UNCG
#57 UNCG
#72 ETSU
#72 ETSU
#72 ETSU
#78 South Carolina

They are 5-4 in non conference games.

Four losses:
7 - North Carolina by 11
20 - Kansas by 25
21 - Mississippi St by 11
40 - Oklahoma by 11

Compare to Arizona St who beat Kansas in Non-conference, as well as tournament candidates Washington, Miss St and Utah St.
Arizona St has more bad losses, but far better wins.

It would be hard to take in Wofford and stay consistent on message.

Liberty (#2 ASUN)
Murray State (#2 OVC)
Bradley (#5 MVC)

Don't forget SDSU's huge upset loss to WIU in the Summit quarters! First time the 8 seed has ever beaten the 1 seed in that tournament. I'm pretty disappointed to see my home-state squad not even make the dance, and for the Dauminator to miss the opportunity to close out his career with another Tournament appearance.

Weird, and crazy. Yesterday was kind of a nice kick-in to the madness.

Bradley coming back from 18 down in the second half after scoring 15 points in the first half. The Lipscomb-Liberty game was fanstastic. Iowa's meltdown. Badgers needing OT after choking away a 23-point lead.

The Colgate/Navy game was also entertaining, looked like the Raiders were solidly in charge only to have the Middies cut it to 1 possession late.

Odd, this time last year the Gophers season had been done for 11 days.

Don't forget SDSU's huge upset loss to WIU in the Summit quarters! First time the 8 seed has ever beaten the 1 seed in that tournament. I'm pretty disappointed to see my home-state squad not even make the dance, and for the Dauminator to miss the opportunity to close out his career with another Tournament appearance.

Yep, that was a shocker on Saturday. Opened the door for Omaha (a Gophers non-conference opponent and potential "win vs. the field"), but I have a feeling Fort Wayne knocks off the Mavericks tonight.

Wofford better win. If you argue for them by merit, your argument is "They have 25 wins and a high RPI and NET", neither which are used directly to determine whether a team should be in or not.

Wofford's top wins:
#41 Furman
#41 Furman
#57 UNCG
#57 UNCG
#72 ETSU
#72 ETSU
#72 ETSU
#78 South Carolina

Four losses:
7 - North Carolina by 11
20 - Kansas by 25
40 - Oklahoma by 11

Compare to Arizona St who beat Kansas in Non-conference, as well as tournament candidates Washington, Miss St and Utah St.

Wofford is a lock and it isn't close.

With a win they are a 6 or 7 seed. Lose and somewhere between 7-9 seed.

Liberty (#2 ASUN)
Murray State (#2 OVC)
Bradley (#5 MVC)

Early on I'm getting dominated in my first go round with the Jerome. Went with too many 1 and 2s. Got Murray St, but that's it so far. Had Quinnipac in the MAAC. Need Greensboro to come though for me tonight. It's tougher than picking the NCAA tourney!

Early on I'm getting dominated in my first go round with the Jerome. Went with too many 1 and 2s. Got Murray St, but that's it so far. Had Quinnipac in the MAAC. Need Greensboro to come though for me tonight. It's tougher than picking the NCAA tourney!

I’m struggling in the Jerome as well. No champions yet. I usually play it safe in first batch, take more chances in second batch, but that strategy not working well this year.

I see that, but I'm curious as to why.

Before winning their conference tournament:

8-4 record vs Q1/Q2
Top 10 winning percentage
SOS in the top third
Strong computer numbers across the board
11-3 road record
Only 4 losses and all were to NCAA tourney teams (so 0 bad losses)

Wofford's top wins:
#41 Furman
#41 Furman
#57 UNCG
#57 UNCG
#72 ETSU
#72 ETSU
#72 ETSU
#78 South Carolina

Four losses:
7 - North Carolina by 11
20 - Kansas by 25
40 - Oklahoma by 11

They are going to be a 6/7 seed. They were getting in regardless.

and they almost lost.

They are going to be a 6/7 seed. They were getting in regardless.

Popular consensus was they were getting in.
They seem to have great computer numbers, and a nice winning percentage, but I don't think many 11's will be fearing that 6/11 matchup against Wofford.

Glad they won so a bid wasn't stolen by a weak conference, but there was little I saw in watching that game that made me think NCAA At-Large Bid.

They seem to have great computer numbers, and a nice winning percentage, but I don't think many 11's will be fearing that 6/11 matchup against Wofford.

Glad they won so a bid wasn't stolen by a weak conference, but there was little I saw in watching that game that made me think NCAA At-Large Bid.

You're pretty harsh. I thought Wofford did a nice job of holding their composure in a close game when they had so few this year. Their big guy made some silly mistakes along the way, but I liked the way they ran their offense, they played D when it counted, and they have at least two, maybe three, guys who can hit the three. They may be a tough out in the first round. Beating a team the third time in a season is always hard, and they hung in there and did it.

I'd love to play against them in the tournament. It wouldn't be an easy game but it would be easier than any game we'll play in the Big Ten tournament.

Wofford's top wins:
#41 Furman
#41 Furman
#57 UNCG
#57 UNCG
#72 ETSU
#72 ETSU
#72 ETSU
#78 South Carolina

Four losses:
7 - North Carolina by 11
20 - Kansas by 25
40 - Oklahoma by 11

All of those losses to power conference teams, except UNC, were on the road and all of those teams are very likely NCAA tournament teams. Two of those teams are ranked and Miss State was ranked until recently.

Here are some of our road losses:

12 pt margin to 14-16 Boston College;
20 pt margin to 18-13 Ohio State;
27 pt margin to 11-20 Illinois.

We've had other road losses, of course, but they were to better teams or by smaller margins. And we probably would have lost at least as badly as Wofford did to North Carolina (#3 ranked) at home. We lost to Maryland by more than that at home and they aren't ranked in the top 20.

And yet you maintain that taking us is the right thing to do while taking Wofford is contrary to the right message. Wofford is 29-4 and deserves to go.

You're pretty harsh. I thought Wofford did a nice job of holding their composure in a close game when they had so few this year. Their big guy made some silly mistakes along the way, but I liked the way they ran their offense, they played D when it counted, and they have at least two, maybe three, guys who can hit the three. They may be a tough out in the first round. Beating a team the third time in a season is always hard, and they hung in there and did it.

Yes. I remember when Ball State made the NCAA tournament as a 12th seed in 1990. Hardly anyone in our pool took them to win a game but I did. Most said "Who do they play?" I said "They're 26-7." They proceeded to knock off Oregon State (with Gary Payton) and Louisville. In the Sweet 16 they lost to eventual champ UNLV by 2 pts. The UNLV players were so impressed that they wore Ball State baseball caps for the rest of the tournament.

You have to respect 29-4. Obviously Wofford is a team that gets the job done the overwhelming majority of the time. Maybe they don't play in the greatest conference, but they haven't lost to anyone in that conference.

Yes. I remember when Ball State made the NCAA tournament as a 12th seed in 1990. Hardly anyone in our pool took them to win a game but I did. Most said "Who do they play?" I said "They're 26-7." They proceeded to knock off Oregon State (with Gary Payton) and Louisville. In the Sweet 16 they lost to eventual champ UNLV by 2 pts. The UNLV players were so impressed that they wore Ball State baseball caps for the rest of the tournament.

You have to respect 29-4. Obviously Wofford is a team that gets the job done the overwhelming majority of the time. Maybe they don't play in the greatest conference, but they haven't lost to anyone in that conference.

Ball St was an outlier.

You've used that expression a couple of times now. That must be your standard dismissal for any mid-major that does better than you expect.

It's so rare when it happens.
My guess is if you look at the stats, there is a far better chance of a Power 6 conference team as a 7-12 make the NCAA final four (or elite eight) than a mid-major at-large bid.

My guess is if you look at the stats, there is a far better chance of a Power 6 conference team as a 7-12 make the NCAA final four (or elite eight) than a mid-major at-large bid.

Isn't any 7-12 seed making the final four or elite eight an outlier?

Hofstra about to lose

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The lowest seed ever to make the final four since the tournament went to 64 or more was 11. There were four of those: LSU, VCU. George Mason, and Loyola-Chicago. 3 of those 4 were mid-major teams.

Top Bottom