Belmont
Creighton
Alabama

Next four
Lipscomb
Georgetown
St. Mary's
Furman

These smaller conference teams on the outside aren't going to gain any big time wins to build their resume much more.
Runs by Alabama, Creighton, Georgetown, and Indiana would move us closer down.
I don't see the Big Ten becoming a 7 bid conference however, but even if it did, at this point we are #7 ahead of Ohio State.
It would be unlikely for Indiana to make a run, and push OSU out, and us out.

So my thought is we're really pretty safe at this point provided SEC, ACC, Big 12, and Big Ten tournaments aren't all won by teams normally wouldn't get a bid.

Yeah I said after the Wisconsin loss that going 3-5 probably got us in.
Turns out I was right.

I would’ve guess we needed to go 4-6 in the last 10 but I was wrong.

Texas plays Kansas. If they lose, can’t pass us.
Ohio state and Indiana play, so only one can pass.

If Washington doesn’t win the pac 12 tourney I think the gophers have n argument of a better resume than Washington.
If Iowa doesn’t win their first BTT game Minnesota has an even resume with them.

Last edited:

That mean that Lunardi actually bumped us a seed after the loss to Maryland. Also dropped Texas two seeds in that same tineframe. Maybe he's getting "help" from Palm's bracket.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That mean that Lunardi actually bumped us a seed after the loss to Maryland. Also dropped Texas two seeds in that same tineframe. Maybe he's getting "help" from Palm's bracket.

He moved us to a 10 seed on the 8th it appears up from 11.

Teams we recently passed as we moved up to 10:
NC State
OSU
Florida
Texas

Other 10 seeds:
Seton Hall
Temple
Ariz St.

Bracketmatrix has us at 10.

Temple as a 12
Seton Hall as 10 right below us.
Arizona St as a 12

Lunardi bumping the Gophers up a seed might just be related to other changes in the bracket. With Michigan and Purdue both 3 seeds now, that takes away 2 spots where the Gophers could be seeded 11th.

On bracketmatrix, from brackets submitted yesterday, Gophers are in on 56 of 57.

The one bracket they are not in seems to rely on his own index ratings to fill the spots.
That bracket-dude has these teams in for at-large that most do not:
Belmont
Creighton
Indiana
St. Mary's

And he has these out:
Minnesota
St. John's
Florida
Arizona State

This would be my guess:

1) Beat Penn State, lose to Purdue... 10 seed
2) Beat Penn State, beat Purdue, lose in the semifinals... 8 or 9 seed
3) Make it all the way to the championship game... 7 seed
4) Lose to Penn State... 11 seed

Regardless, I just don't see the committee leaving us out.

This would be my guess:

1) Beat Penn State, lose to Purdue... 9-10 seed
2) Beat Penn State, beat Purdue, lose in the semifinals... 7 or 8 seed
3) Make it all the way to the championship game... 6 seed
4) Lose to Penn State... 10-11 seed

Updated with my thoughts.

Indiana and Ohio State feels like a play-in game. Is Wesson going to play?

Indiana is at best a one win BTT team, I can't see them beating MSU a third time.

Gophers should beat Penn State, but I seem to remember saying this before another B1G tournament and being wrong.

I would give the Gophers a 40% chance of upsetting Purdue.

Iowa will lose it's only game, making Michigan a semifinal lock.

I see Maryland beating Whisky.

Random tourney thoughts.

Random thoughts

Indiana and Ohio State feels like a play-in game. Is Wesson going to play?

Indiana is at best a one win BTT team, I can't see them beating MSU a third time.

Gophers should beat Penn State, but I seem to remember saying this before another B1G tournament and being wrong.

I would give the Gophers a 40% chance of upsetting Purdue.

Iowa will lose it's only game, making Michigan a semifinal lock.

I see Maryland beating Whisky.

Random tourney thoughts.

Good stuff!

Mine. ...

(1) Someone outside the "Big 3" will win the tournament. I'm rolling with Maryland, with Indiana or Penn State also possibilities.

(2) Michigan State will go no farther than the semis, but that'll be a good thing for MSU. Ward will get 1 or 2 games in, enough to get his feet wet again, and that gets Winston, Ahrens an extra couple days rest. Winston needs it, especially.

(3) Indiana will paste Ohio State whether Wesson plays or not, ending the Buckeyes' fleeting NCAA hopes.

(4) The bottom half of the bracket, especially, is and out & out free-for-all. If Matthews doesn't come back, can't see Michigan winning the tournament for the 3rd straight year.

(5) Gophers at best win one game. If they get by Penn State, they'll know they're in the NCAA, take the foot off the gas, then get pasted by Purdue this time around.

(6) "Pick 3" Tournament MVP. ... Bruno Fernando, Juwan Morgan, or Lamar Stevens.

Good stuff!

Mine. ...

(1) Someone outside the "Big 3" will win the tournament. I'm rolling with Maryland, with Indiana or Penn State also possibilities.

(2) Michigan State will go no farther than the semis, but that'll be a good thing for MSU. Ward will get 1 or 2 games in, enough to get his feet wet again, and that gets Winston, Ahrens an extra couple days rest. Winston needs it, especially.

(3) Indiana will paste Ohio State whether Wesson plays or not, ending the Buckeyes' fleeting NCAA hopes.

(4) The bottom half of the bracket, especially, is and out & out free-for-all. If Matthews doesn't come back, can't see Michigan winning the tournament for the 3rd straight year.

(5) Gophers at best win one game. If they get by Penn State, they'll know they're in the NCAA, take the foot off the gas, then get pasted by Purdue this time around.

(6) "Pick 3" Tournament MVP. ... Bruno Fernando, Juwan Morgan, or Lamar Stevens.

I agree with you, but so disappointing. Pitino really needs to recruit guys that would be willing to do the Sam Cassell big balls dance. It seems like the upperclassmen on this team are good kids but too laid back. Hopefully the Gophers can bring in some talent but more alpha males. I think this is personified in our road performances.

Last edited:

I agree with you, but so disappointing. Pitino really needs to recruit guys that would be willing to due the Sam Cassell big balls dance. It seems like the upperclassmen on this team are good kids but too laid back. Hopefully the Gophers can bring in some talent but more alpha males. I think this is personified in our road performances.

A lot Gopher fans didn't like him, but it wouldn't hurt to have an a*s hole kind of player like Lawrence Westbrook. Cocky (a poor man's Carsen Edwards), but he didn't shy away from the big moments.

A lot Gopher fans didn't like him, but it wouldn't hurt to have an a*s hole kind of player like Lawrence Westbrook. Cocky (a poor man's Carsen Edwards), but he didn't shy away from the big moments.

Loved him going to the line at the end of a big game.

I think people often confuse this gopher teams lack of consistency due to having zero point guard play with taking foot off the gas or lack of effort.

Gophers have zero play at the most important position when it comes to having team consistency.

This would be my guess:

1) Beat Penn State, lose to Purdue... 10 seed
2) Beat Penn State, beat Purdue, lose in the semifinals... 8 or 9 seed
3) Make it all the way to the championship game... 7 seed
4) Lose to Penn State... 11 seed

If these were the actual scenarios, I say let’s lose to PSU

But why are we a better team when our only point guard sits on the bench?

Gophers still a 10 seed, and pretty solidly so.
Texas losing some traction in the brackets that last couple days.

Amazingly, with their tournament hopes on the line, Texas finds a way to get its star player off indefinite suspension to play in the Big 12 Tournament. Kansas is a tough draw, but the Jayhawks are really floundering and are vulnerable.

As they should be. Over inflated NET rating and what....a 16-15 record? They don't belong in the tournament with that kind of record.

A loss to Kansas would put their resume as inelligible for the NIT just a few years ago

Amazingly, with their tournament hopes on the line, Texas finds a way to get its star player off indefinite suspension to play in the Big 12 Tournament. Kansas is a tough draw, but the Jayhawks are really floundering and are vulnerable.

And some Gh posters cant admit the playing field is not level.

I won't be surprised if Texas knocks off Kansas. With the season-injury to Azubuike (sp?) and now Vick not returning, this is the weakest Kansas team in recent memory. Don't have the typical Kansas toughness, they're kind of soft, but most importantly don't have the stud lead guard they've been blessed with lately in Frank Mason and Devonte Graham. I'm hoping KU puts Texas out of their misery, but I'm smelling a Longhorn win.

Kansas definitely a candidate for early exit from Big XII and NCAA tourneys.

It's pretty clear at this point why the Gophers are solidly in the NCAA Tournament, despite a 9-11 record in the Big Ten. They have 3 Quadrant 1 wins (Purdue, Washington, Wisconsin), are 7-3 in Quad 2 games and a perfect 9-0 in Quad 3 and 4 games. In other words, while the basketball hasn't been the prettiest at times this year, they have ZERO bad losses, at least according to the metrics.

Only Purdue and Buffalo among the top 20 NET ranked teams have a Quad 3 loss. The Gophers are also 35th in defensive efficiency and for all the offensive issues with scoring at times, they're 57th in offensive efficiency (KenPom rankings). All the bracketologists have Minnesota currently a 10 seed, one facing Louisville and another facing Wofford. They're not even sweating the 12 seed play-in scenario.

Barring a crazy week in league tournaments, which is certainly possible, the Gophers are dancing regardless of what happens in the BTT or around the country. That said, beat Penn State Thursday and build some confidence.

On bracketmatrix, the one guy out of 50-60 who didn't have the Gophers in, now has them as a #12 seed.
Most others as a 10.

Texas, who was listed right behind us is now missing on half the brackets as is St. John's.

It appears TCU is the next most likely team set to pass us.

We are 10-12 in Q1/Q2
They are 8-12 in Q1/Q2.

We have the better high end wins right now.

Good stuff!

Mine. ...

This hasn't aged well so far. Let's hope this post ages even more poorly for number 5!

This hasn't aged well so far. Let's hope this post ages even more poorly for number 5!

I was far from Nostradamus as well! At least I got the Gopher game right and I still feel they have a 40% chance to beat Purdue!

Top Bottom