Sid: U.S. Bank Stadium has made a pitch to host the Big Ten championship game

I sure hope US Bank Stadium gets to host some B1G championship games. I would get a group together to attend the game if it were here.

My concern is there may not be enough like me in this market to help fill the seats when our geographic location would perhaps cut down on people willing to travel (drive) from the to two division winning schools. I always consider the 8-10 hour range to be the limit for the majority of people for a road trip to watch a football game. Indianapolis has far more of the B1G within that range when compared to Mpls. So, I wonder if a game here might cut down on the attendance a bit and require more seats to be filled by locals. And that is where I am reasonably convinced people here wouldn't attend the game in big numbers if it didn't involve the Gophers. If we have trouble filling TCF Bank Stadium, I would think we'd have a lot of trouble filling US Bank Stadium for two non-Gopher teams.

I'm just thinking out loud. I do indeed hope Mpls gets this game and if so I would be there regardless of the teams playing.

I sure hope US Bank Stadium gets to host some B1G championship games. I would get a group together to attend the game if it were here.

My concern is there may not be enough like me in this market to help fill the seats when our geographic location would perhaps cut down on people willing to travel (drive) from the to two division winning schools. I always consider the 8-10 hour range to be the limit for the majority of people for a road trip to watch a football game. Indianapolis has far more of the B1G within that range when compared to Mpls. So, I wonder if a game here might cut down on the attendance a bit and require more seats to be filled by locals. And that is where I am reasonably convinced people here wouldn't attend the game in big numbers if it didn't involve the Gophers. If we have trouble filling TCF Bank Stadium, I would think we'd have a lot of trouble filling US Bank Stadium for two non-Gopher teams.

I'm just thinking out loud. I do indeed hope Mpls gets this game and if so I would be there regardless of the teams playing.

If it was once in awhile (like every 5-6 years), I think there would be enough interest to get some of the locals out.

Yeah, maybe an every other year format where it went...

Indy
Mpls
Indy
Det
Indy
Mpls
Indy
Det
etc.

I'd like to see the CFP championship played in some northern cities.

Hell I wish we had a garbage bowl game here... I'd even go to that.

How is that special? MPLS doesn't do a good job hosting stuff? Everything in downtown is walking distance to the new metrodome.

Downtown Minneapolis is really boring on weekends. Only time I've seen it lively was during the Superbowl. There is technically night life on Hennepin, but visitors won't feel safe there. I certainly don't.

I have spent a lot of time in Indy, several big sporting events, have always been very impressed with downtown Indy. I am curious why you think Indy sucks?

It's boring for one...but most people would think Mpls./St.Paul would be boring as well.

I have family in Indianapolis so I have experienced all that there is to downtown Indy.

Yep, Chicago made a huge mistake when they put United Center where they did. I suppose it was financial as they couldn't afford land near downtown or Lakeshore Drive. Been there a couple times and you are absolutely correct about trouble not being far away. And good luck getting a cab after the game. Few and far between. Probably better with Uber and Lyft these days but we stood outside arena a good 30 minutes before our turn for a cab came around.

We started the walk back downtown after the game and it took our Uber about 30 minutes to catch up to us. But everyone started walking (it was April and not awful out) so the streets were crazy filled with fans.

I'd like to see the CFP championship played in some northern cities.

Same. Outdoor stadiums in the north. Southern teams already have a big recruiting advantage with all of the talent coming from the south so balance it out by making them play the championship game outdoors in the cold.

Yep, Chicago made a huge mistake when they put United Center where they did. I suppose it was financial as they couldn't afford land near downtown or Lakeshore Drive. Been there a couple times and you are absolutely correct about trouble not being far away. And good luck getting a cab after the game. Few and far between. Probably better with Uber and Lyft these days but we stood outside arena a good 30 minutes before our turn for a cab came around.

They located the UC there because the land was a parking lot for the old Chicago Stadium, so much like the city did dropping New Comiskey Park right next to old Comiskey, they built the new arena next to the old, then tore the old one down and used the land for parking. Definitely not great locations for either UC or Comiskey (or whatever the hell its name is now), however. The surrounding neighborhoods are really sketchy.

Chicago has that special charm where if you walk two blocks the wrong direction you are in deep trouble. Granted that was when we went to the Frozen Four at the United Center...
United Center is great, but it is kind of remote to all the hotels, bars, restaurants, and shopping areas that make Chicago great to visit.

They located the UC there because the land was a parking lot for the old Chicago Stadium, so much like the city did dropping New Comiskey Park right next to old Comiskey, they built the new arena next to the old, then tore the old one down and used the land for parking. Definitely not great locations for either UC or Comiskey (or whatever the hell its name is now), however. The surrounding neighborhoods are really sketchy.

Chicago Stadium and the land around it was owned by the Bulls(Reinsdorf) and Blackhawks(Wirtz Family), so it made sense to keep it there since they used zero city or state dollars to build it. Same with Comiskey Park, owned by the White Sox(same owner as Bulls). The bad thing about Comiskey is that they didn't position home plate to get a view of downtown(and not a great neighborhood either).

ummm it was built right next to the old chicago stadium. It has been there for forever, right off 290.

I just looked up the average December 1st temperatures in Minneapolis vs. Indianapolis. In Minneapolis, the average high is 32 and the average low is 21. In Indianapolis, the average high is 46 and the average low is 32. So, it's warmer in Indianapolis, but it's not exactly balmy there either. MSP is a major hub, so flying in isn't going to be a problem. There's plenty of hotel space, there's the Mall of America and light rail. The City of Indianapolis may like having the game here, but that's not a compelling reason for it to be on one place every year.

I think drive-ability to Indy and Chicago is a significant factor. Madison and Iowa City are 270-280 miles from Minneapolis. Fully half the conference is that close or closer to Indianapolis and eight schools are that close or closer to Chicago.

Downtown Minneapolis is really boring on weekends. Only time I've seen it lively was during the Superbowl. There is technically night life on Hennepin, but visitors won't feel safe there. I certainly don't.

Spoken like someone who doesn't go downtown.

Would love to see that.

What are the odds realistically? Probably not good? Are we too far West and North? Plus our weather could be a factor, right?

Been to all of the BIG championship games and froze my a$$ off or was rained on each time. Indy is a good spot but we would give them a run for fun and weather. very difficult to leave the area after the game. Here, would be easy. The game should go to alternate venues.

Top Bottom