Craig McDonald

Match them? He did match him,

A Johnny come lately, half hearted offer is matching? Nope, as you know

And yet, you probably salute Bateman for spurning Georgia’s late offers in exactly the same way.

Why is it so hard for you to admit that Fleck didn’t prioritize McD, and by the time he did it was too late?

I'm mostly being tongue-in-cheek. The hypocrisy is hilarious and is what I'm referencing. Claeys couldn't recruit to save his life (that's the acolyte company line, at least), and we're willing to forgive St. P.J. for losing a key in-state recruit to freaking Iowa St., of all places. Then, to top it off, we're bending over backwards to convince ourselves that we don't want an in-state top-700 national recruit (who plays at a speed position, nonetheless) because we can't admit to ourselves that the Greatest Recruiter in the History of Earth got out-recruited for an in-state recruit who many had rubber-stamped to the Gophers.

Having one set of standards would be nice - even though I know that will never happen for the disciples.

To be fair Matt Campbell is phenomenal too. It's not your dad's ISU anymore and isn't that big of a slap in the face.

And yet, you probably salute Bateman for spurning Georgia’s late offers in exactly the same way.

Why is it so hard for you to admit that Fleck didn’t prioritize McD, and by the time he did it was too late?

Little bit of a difference between Georgia offering 2 weeks before signing day and us offering Craig over a year before signing day right? Not a good comparison.

Half hearted offer is over a year before signing day? You're stretching here. Maybe we should've offered earlier, sure. Or maybe Mcdonald just connected with the coaches at ISU? Maybe... just maybe Matt Campbell is a good recruiter too?

Last edited:

Because we offered him before his junior year of HS and Craig McDonald has been to several events at the U.

So, it's hard for me to admit it because it's at odds with the known universe.

Little bit of a difference between Georgia offering 2 weeks before signing day and us offering Craig over a year before signing day right? Not a good comparison.

Half hearted offer is over a year before signing day? You're stretching here. Maybe we should've offered earlier, sure. Or maybe Mcdonald just connected with the coaches at ISU? Maybe... just maybe Matt Campbell is a good recruiter too?

How about hat, a sensible reply. Kudos, sir, you could be exactly correct.

To be fair Matt Campbell is phenomenal too. It's not your dad's ISU anymore and isn't that big of a slap in the face.

Very true!

ISU is a good model for what we can hopefully achieve in the next couple years. Campbell, from the MAC like Fleck and with similar recruiting style, doing hell of a turn around job at middling Iowa St.

Maybe McDonald likes ISU's Ag programs a lot better than the U of M's? Or their engineering programs...or their medical programs...

Or he wants to try some place different. Fleck will keep the door open if he wants him. We will be fine with picking up a CB from Florida or Georgia.

Very true!

ISU is a good model for what we can hopefully achieve in the next couple years. Campbell, from the MAC like Fleck and with similar recruiting style, doing hell of a turn around job at middling Iowa St.

ISU is not a good model, the goal is not 8-5 the next couple years. We are already at a similar level as ISU, yes they’ve had one more win last year, understood, but I don’t put them on another level than we are.

The so called Gopher fan should eat a can of brown colored waste. Iowa F'ing State, ... model????? What the F

Gopher4life my ass.

model for what???

Minnesota has been following the Iowa State football model since 1968. The hell with that

Maybe if that fails we should follow the Kansas Jayhawk football model. Some MAC guy wins 7 game in the S'hole big 12 and that is a model for us????

Last edited:

ISU is not a good model, the goal is not 8-5 the next couple years. We are already at a similar level as ISU, yes they’ve had one more win last year, understood, but I don’t put them on another level than we are.

Looking deeper into ISU’s record they beat 3 teams ranked in the top 10. Quality wins count.

Looking deeper into ISU’s record they beat 3 teams ranked in the top 10. Quality wins count.

I am not too interested in anything about Iowa State, other than maybe hiring Matt Campbell if Fleck moves on to the next fancier rowboat. (may or may not happen)

Rankings are sort of stupid anyway, (wait four months and see what I mean -last August- Wisc. #4, USC, Michigan all near the top)

So certain posters are happy we missed on an instate kid because they either don't like Fleck or they don't like how much others like Fleck?

What an effed up world

So certain posters are happy we missed on an instate kid because they either don't like Fleck or they don't like how much others like Fleck?

What an effed up world

Nope, this is not the narrative.

I am not too interested in anything about Iowa State, other than maybe hiring Matt Campbell if Fleck moves on to the next fancier rowboat. (may or may not happen)

Rankings are sort of stupid anyway, (wait four months and see what I mean -last August- Wisc. #4, USC, Michigan all near the top)

They are definitely, without question, stupid for the first 6-7 weeks of the season. However in this case in 2017 they defeated the Baker Mayfield led Sooners who would go on to the CFP and they also defeated 11-3 TCU that would lose to OK in the Big 12 championship.

They finished 6-3 and 3rd place in the Big 12 last year.

Sure, it’s arguable how good the Big 12 is top to bottom but there’s no question Campbell has been more impressive than Fleck so far, to an unbiased observer. It’s fine to believe and hope for a future where Fleck exceeds what Campbell has done at ISU.

Last edited:

Craig has entered the portal. Was pretty good last year for ISU and may have started this year. Purdue’s starting safety Marvin Grant also in the portal. Wonder if Fleck goes for McDonald. Not a ton of depth at safety especially after this year.

Craig has entered the portal. Was pretty good last year for ISU and may have started this year. Purdue’s starting safety Marvin Grant also in the portal. Wonder if Fleck goes for McDonald. Not a ton of depth at safety especially after this year.
Played for ISU last season and could have started for them this year, so he's going to leave there ... to come to Minnesota to start? Unless he's really homesick, I don't think this computes for me.

Wild guess is he's looking to upgrade to a higher-profile program with bigger NIL.

Played for ISU last season and could have started for them this year, so he's going to leave there ... to come to Minnesota to start? Unless he's really homesick, I don't think this computes for me.

Wild guess is he's looking to upgrade to a higher-profile program with bigger NIL.
He wouldn’t start here here this year. I don’t think it’s likely, just saying it would be a nice addition.

A solid sign that PJ has another corner to turn. We’ll know it when we see it.

Top Bottom