Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 110

Thread: Craig McDonald

  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    I'll put it this way. I like Minnesota's chances playing in the B10 championship game before ISU plays in the B12 championship game.
    I’ll take that bet. Had Iowa St beaten Texas, they’d have been in the Big XII championship game last year.
    Last edited by KillerGopherFan; 03-12-2019 at 10:19 PM.


  2. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    I really hate to agree with Gopher4Life on anything, but he’s right. I wouldn’t say “model” b/c Campbell is still progressing and not achieved the biggest goals yet.

    Campbell is receiving interest from NFL teams for his success. Iowa State’s last 3 seasons of offenses are some of the most productive in Iowa State history and the last two years of defenses have been the best in the Big XII. This recruit plays DB.

    The Big XII is not a “weak conference”. It has done well in the bowl season with quality wins and competitiveness the last couple years. The offenses are dynamic and the defenses generally do better against out of conference P5 opponents.
    They're the worst or second worst P5 conference most years lately.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    I really hate to agree with Gopher4Life on anything, but he’s right. I wouldn’t say “model” b/c Campbell is still progressing and not achieved the biggest goals yet.

    Campbell is receiving interest from NFL teams for his success. Iowa State’s last 3 seasons of offenses are some of the most productive in Iowa State history and the last two years of defenses have been the best in the Big XII. This recruit plays DB.

    The Big XII is not a “weak conference”. It has done well in the bowl season with quality wins and competitiveness the last couple years. The offenses are dynamic and the defenses generally do better against out of conference P5 opponents.
    It may pain you to agree, but there is a near-pain-free solution. I just added him to my ignore list early on and although I still see he posts multiple times in pretty much every thread, I don't see the actual text/content so I am not tempted to interact with a person that just seems to be interested in seeing how many posts he can make and argue with everyone. I do wish when you ignored someone it would also hide their comments when someone else quotes them. But overall, the ignore list helps a lot and makes the site more enjoyable for me.

  4. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    They're the worst or second worst P5 conference most years lately.
    Based on what?

    OU was in the CFB Playoff. Texas thumped Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

    They were 4-3 in the bowls vs P5 conferences
    They were 3-1 vs SEC
    They were 1-1 vs PAC 12 with Iowa St’s controversial, narrow loss to WSU
    And WVU lost to Syracuse without their NFL Draft QB prospect

    And 5-3 in bowls in 2017-18

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    Based on what?
    Things and Stuff.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

  6. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    Based on what?

    OU was in the CFB Playoff. Texas thumped Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

    They were 4-3 in the bowls vs P5 conferences
    They were 3-1 vs SEC
    They were 1-1 vs PAC 12 with Iowa St’s controversial, narrow loss to WSU
    And WVU lost to Syracuse without their NFL Draft QB prospect

    And 5-3 in bowls in 2017-18
    Because the SEC, B1G, and ACC were all better. You put too much stock into bowl games.

  7. #52

    Default

    Npp


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucasjfoster View Post
    Npp


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure it was OPP


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

  9. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucasjfoster View Post
    Npp


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nobel Peace Prize?
    Sorry I’m acronym challenged.

  10. #55

    Default

    Ryan Burns had some good commentary on the McDonald situation. Evidently Iowa St offered him last March and made him a priority right away. We asked him to camp with us in June, and he performed well but we didn’t extend an offer until October. That didn’t sit well with him, which is part of the reason he’s at ISU. The analysis on him is that he’s a solid recruit, but the allure is that he has strong ties with Johnson and Lockett and would have given us (or a different B1G team) a better chance to land both of those two as well.

    Bottom line, missing out on McDonald isn’t a huge deal. The fact that it will make it tougher to land Johnson and Lockett is.

  11. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Bottom line, missing out on McDonald isn’t a huge deal. The fact that it will make it tougher to land Johnson and Lockett is.
    Whew!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

  12. #57

    Default

    McDonald would've been the 7th/8th-highest rated recruit signed had he been in our vaunted 2019 class - and yet it's "no big deal" that we didn't sign him. K.

    The baseline expectation is that a Minnesota head coach should sign virtually every in-state 3-star recruit that he wants. And we should never lose an in-state recruit to Iowa St. Even a catastrophically horrible all-time worst recruiter like Tracy Claeys was able to cross that low threshold.
    Last edited by dpodoll68; 03-15-2019 at 06:23 AM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    6,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    McDonald would've been the 7th/8th-highest rated recruit signed had he been in our vaunted 2019 class - and yet it's "no big deal" that we didn't sign him. K.

    The baseline expectation is that a Minnesota head coach should sign virtually every in-state 3-star recruit that he wants. And we should never lose an in-state recruit to Iowa St. Even a catastrophically horrible all-time worst recruiter like Tracy Claeys was able to cross that low threshold.
    What about Patrick Kasl, JD Spielman, and Amani Hooker? https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Fo...chool&State=MN

    McDonald is pretty much the first 3* in-state recruit that Fleck wanted and missed.

  14. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherWeatherGuy View Post
    What about Patrick Kasl, JD Spielman, and Amani Hooker? https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Fo...chool&State=MN

    McDonald is pretty much the first 3* in-state recruit that Fleck wanted and missed.
    The odd thing about Hooker and Spielman is that we didn't seem very interested in them. Maybe Spielman told us early on that he wasn't interested or wanted to leave home, but both were strange.

    I never understood why we didn't go after Amani Hooker.

    With McDonald, I'm disappointed and surprised, but it's recruiting. A lot of things can play into it. Maybe he didn't want to go to college 10 minutes from his parents. Maybe he had a good relationship with Coach Campbell. Maybe his girlfriend is going to Iowa State (heck, maybe she's going to MN).

  15. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherWeatherGuy View Post
    What about Patrick Kasl, JD Spielman, and Amani Hooker? https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Fo...chool&State=MN

    McDonald is pretty much the first 3* in-state recruit that Fleck wanted and missed.
    Given if what was said above is true about how and when we offered, it quite clearly seems that Fleck didn’t “want” McD all that much ...

    Was that a mistake by Fleck? Would seem to be, in my opinion ..

    How often does Minnesota go down and grab an Iowa high school 3* or higher?? They probably don’t produce a ton of them, but guessing it is rare. They shouldn’t be able to do that to us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •