The argument for Coffey foregoing his senior season and entering the draft this year

He would have received far better coaching at a lot of schools. Look at some of the better programs and you will find guys early in the mock that were rated way lower than Coffey. Some places would have told him to redshirt to get stronger.

He would have received far better coaching at a lot of schools. Look at some of the better programs and you will find guys early in the mock that were rated way lower than Coffey. Some places would have told him to redshirt to get stronger.

Amir was a top 5 freshman in the Big Ten and a top 3 scorer on a 5 seed team. No program in the country would have redshirted him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amir was a top 5 freshman in the Big Ten and a top 3 scorer on a 5 seed team. No program in the country would have redshirted him.

Your wrong, i know of two programs that would have and no, one of them is not Wisconsin. These programs have redshirted players a great deal better than Coffey.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that the coaching staff here has done all they can with him...does this sound familiar?

Your wrong, i know of two programs that would have and no, one of them is not Wisconsin. These programs have redshirted players a great deal better than Coffey.

I’d like to here them.

Follow what Villanova has done, follow what UVA did with Brogdon, Hunter.

Better now, yes. As prospects these guys were ranked in the 90s. Coffey was in 40s.

Follow what Villanova has done, follow what UVA did with Brogdon, Hunter.

Amir was a better prospect than Hunter (#49 vs #91 in 247’s composite) rankings and Brogdon played as a true freshman, then redshirted his second year as he was still recovering from his foot surgery.

Bennett ranked both Hunter and Brogdon in the top 25. Malcom could have played but with him wanting a masters degree and a NBA career he agreed that the redshirt was best. He and his advance scouts and scouts would never use a internet ranking site for any kind of evaluation and they had Coffey below 75. He would have really learned to play at one of those schools.

Side note, i saw Hunter as a high school sophomore and he was raw but had a insatiable thirst for work and that incredible wingspan, plus he could guard people. Injury cost him his junior year and he loved UVA. Redshirt 1st year with a long term vision, was tremendous last year but did not start. Was taught to defend 4 positions and play 3 spots and will now be a top 8 draft pick. Jerry West points to it as the best combination of scout, development he has seen.

Side note, i saw Hunter as a high school sophomore and he was raw but had a insatiable thirst for work and that incredible wingspan, plus he could guard people. Injury cost him his junior year and he loved UVA. Redshirt 1st year with a long term vision, was tremendous last year but did not start. Was taught to defend 4 positions and play 3 spots and will now be a top 8 draft pick. Jerry West points to it as the best combination of scout, development he has seen.

I guess I don’t understand why you come on here and talk about how great Virginia is all the time.
Literally nobody thinks Minnesota has got it going better than Virginia right now.

Not everybody can learn to shoot at a high percentage....that's number one. Number two, 100% the student has to put in hours and hours and hours daily...not twelve hours one weekend. Nobody, can do it for you.

Back to one, not everybody has the physical abilities to execute the preferred mechanics. Their wrist, their hand, their elbow, their shoulder, something won't allow them to do what you'd like. They have to find their own way...what works for them and put the time in.

Number three, maybe the most important part..once you develop the ability now, you need the mentality. Some guys can make 100 free throws in a row and shoot 59% in games. Some people don't want the burden of scoring, the responsibility....being "the man". Lots of guys can score as the 4th best player on the team...as soon as you design plays to get them shots they start throwing up bricks. Not to mention the difference of being defended by the other teams best defender versus being left unguarded. Lots of wannabes melt down versus defensive pressure.

Shooting is complicated and very difficult to teach. You can get 100 kids looking pretty good in a week long basketball camp. That doesn't make them shooters.

If it was easy, obviously there would be a lot more shooters. Gophers got one shooter and he doesn't hunt shots. (or have plays designed to get him any)

Coffey, certainly should explore the draft but like several have said he is not in most all evaluators top 75 lists of prospects.
Shooting isn't that complicated. But, it takes repetition, repetition, repetition. Bad habits need to be broken early. Most kids aren't taught good shooting fundamentals. Others don't practice because they are better athletes than other kids and don't have the foresight to see why they need to learn good shooting fundamentals.

I guess I don’t understand why you come on here and talk about how great Virginia is all the time.
Literally nobody thinks Minnesota has got it going better than Virginia right now.

As a point of how to build well, that is all. I actually cheer for the Gophers, even when we played in the Big 10 challenge. Do not read it. There are people on here who i am having intelligent give and take of basketball ideas.

Bennett ranked both Hunter and Brogdon in the top 25. Malcom could have played but with him wanting a masters degree and a NBA career he agreed that the redshirt was best. He and his advance scouts and scouts would never use a internet ranking site for any kind of evaluation and they had Coffey below 75. He would have really learned to play at one of those schools.

Coffey’s ranking dropped after he tore his ACL his junior year and then while he recovered well his senior year, his ranking did not. Probably should have been ranked higher. Regardless, I don’t think Hunter would have redshirted if he was as good of a freshman as Amir was.

Last edited:

Built badgers often texts things that make no sense

Wow.

There isn't one school in the country that would have redshirted Amir Coffey. Not one.

Yep. Zero chance it would have happened. Mostly because Coffey wouldn't have gone to a school that was even thinking about it.

Yep. Zero chance it would have happened. Mostly because Coffey wouldn't have gone to a school that was even thinking about it.

Your right, he would not have gone to UVA and UVA would not recruit him.

Your right, he would not have gone to UVA and UVA would not recruit him.

It is more than clear you love Bennett and Virginia. And how they build, evaluate, play, and coach.

Can you take a break?

Now, this is all predicated on Coffey continuing his hot streak down the stretch (he doesn't even need to be as elite as he's been the past couple games, but enough contribution to help win a few more games this year, whether that's tonight or in the BTT or in March Madness)...

Anyways, I think Coffey should go pro. He's had rough stretches this year but is finally showing he is one of the most dominant players in the league. I'm really not sure what benefit there is for him coming back next year. I am not clairvoyant or anything, but I feel like Coffey's draft stock won't get that much better next year seeing as he is prone to be MIA some games and a streaky shooter in others. If he just duplicates his performance this year with slightly better numbers, is it even worth it?

Coffey has accomplished a lot in his career. He will have led us to two NCAA tournaments. He will have multiple 30+ point games. He will have learned to handle the PG position, which was invaluable experience that will surely help him transition to the next level.

Will another season here really boost his draft profile?

Even if the NBA forecasts a high 2nd round pick, I think Coffey should take it. Why risk the injury or risk being another year older, which NBA teams do hold against prospects.

Personally, I hope Coffey kills it the next 3 (and hopefully more games) and just calls it a career here.

Hi Richard Coffey! Very nice college player! Not a pro! Zero chance he gets drafted! Your kid is fun to watch enjoy it!

Top Bottom