Final B1G Tournament Projection: 7 Gophers vs. 10 Penn State

Cal was the first - or one of the first - game that Jackson played coming back from his stress fracture. Interestingly, Hosea Crittenden came in with the Gophers way down and nearly led the team back to potentially winning it. But when it got close, Clem (logically) put the starters back in, and they fell back and fell short. Honest to goodness, by the time Hosea was a senior (that year), he was a pretty damn good point guard. Senior-year Hosea could start for this year's team. Laugh at me all you want, you people.

Agree.

And A-Rob would start this year.

ARob is my example of why not to give up on IW.

He was one of Monson's first recruits, if not his first. I remember the story Dan told - of being there to see a different player but having to ask, who's THAT guy? According to Dan, he was "changing the game." Early on, us Gopher fans were wondering, THIS is a guy who was changing a game somewhere?! But the dude worked hard and really developed. He worked so well with Hagen, who was an awesome passer himself. Jeff hit Aaron for a lot of open threes.

With Penn State's NET being at 49, if we win, won't they likely drop below 50 and then no longer be considered a Quad 1 win? Seems like they will only be considered a Quad 1 opponent if we lose?

With Penn State's NET being at 49, if we win, won't they likely drop below 50 and then no longer be considered a Quad 1 win? Seems like they will only be considered a Quad 1 opponent if we lose?

It would depend on what teams 45-55 do and how efficiently they played.

It's a Quad 2 game regardless of the result because it's on a neutral court. It's a good win, but won't provide a huge ranking boost. Also not a bad loss. But to be truly stress-free on Selection Sunday, beat Penn State. They're probably in regardless, but it would at least be somewhat of a sweat.

It's a Quad 2 game regardless of the result because it's on a neutral court. It's a good win, but won't provide a huge ranking boost. Also not a bad loss. But to be truly stress-free on Selection Sunday, beat Penn State. They're probably in regardless, but it would at least be somewhat of a sweat.

I thought top 50 games on a neutral court are Quad 1? Is that not right?

I thought top 50 games on a neutral court are Quad 1? Is that not right?

That is correct.

If we beat Penn St, they might move down, but that depends on Indiana, TCU, Temple, Lipscomb, etc.
Hard to predict.
If we beat them by a close margin, it might not matter much.

That is correct.

If we beat Penn St, they might move down, but that depends on Indiana, TCU, Temple, Lipscomb, etc.
Hard to predict.
If we beat them by a close margin, it might not matter much.
Net Rankings and the quad system is so messed up that it would be better for us to beat them by 1 than by 20.
It would be better for us to lose to them by 20 than by 1

(To give a better chance of keeping them quad 1)

Net Rankings and the quad system is so messed up that it would be better for us to beat them by 1 than by 20.
It would be better for us to lose to them by 20 than by 1

(To give a better chance of keeping them quad 1)

Well there you go, let’s just lose all of our games by 50.

Cal was the first - or one of the first - game that Jackson played coming back from his stress fracture. Interestingly, Hosea Crittenden came in with the Gophers way down and nearly led the team back to potentially winning it. But when it got close, Clem (logically) put the starters back in, and they fell back and fell short. Honest to goodness, by the time Hosea was a senior (that year), he was a pretty damn good point guard. Senior-year Hosea could start for this year's team. Laugh at me all you want, you people.

My how time changes reality. Hosea was a great person and teammate and dorm buddy, but he was not a "damn good point guard", at least not at the D1 level. As an example of that reality, I would consistently steal the ball from Hosea in pick up games at the Rec Center. I was no slouch on the court, but I was no D1 player either... Clem played Hosea because he was fun, and the crowd and teammates loved him.

Hosea wouldn't play outside of of garbage time on this team either, though I bet every Gopher ever since has wished he would be their teammate.

My how time changes reality. Hosea was a great person and teammate and dorm buddy, but he was not a "damn good point guard", at least not at the D1 level. As an example of that reality, I would consistently steal the ball from Hosea in pick up games at the Rec Center. I was no slouch on the court, but I was no D1 player either... Clem played Hosea because he was fun, and the crowd and teammates loved him.

Hosea wouldn't play outside of of garbage time on this team either, though I bet every Gopher ever since has wished he would be their teammate.

Hmmm... maybe YOU could start for this team.

In the words of Jack Taylor (since it is almost baseball season), "Let's go win the whole f#$%! thing!"

Top Bottom