Final B1G Tournament Projection: 7 Gophers vs. 10 Penn State

The difference between the teams is Penn State had a tougher schedule and had some lapses early in the year. That’s about it.

You are very kind to call an 0-10 and 1-12 "some lapses". That is also "impressive spin".

You are very kind to call an 0-10 and 1-12 "some lapses". That is also "impressive spin".

It is impressive the love Penn state is getting.

They are the best 14-17 team possibly ever

I get people saying they do not want to play Penn State, but saying it wouldn't be quality win is just flat out wrong.

It will be a Quad 1 win since they are top 50 team (Quad 1 win on neutral is top 50 teams). They are also ranked very highly in all the metrics.

Was the best case scenario in my opinion, Rutgers or Illinois would have been bad matchups and not a Quad one win.

What the hell is wisconsin doing? OSU comes back from down 20!

Of Ohio State pulls this out vs Wisconsin, do we drop to the 8 seed? We'd be tied at 9-11 and we lose the head-to-head, but I don't know the tiebreaker order the B1G uses.

Wow. After getting a 23 point lead.....OSU came back to tie the game. And after an offensive foul on Happ......OSU has the ball with 29 seconds left and probably the last shot in regulation. Fu**ing badgers.

Badgers are looking like they saw a ghost

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Of Ohio State pulls this out vs Wisconsin, do we drop to the 8 seed? We'd be tied at 9-11 and we lose the head-to-head, but I don't know the tiebreaker order the B1G uses.

I believe it does....which means we play at 11:30 rather than at 6:00.....:mad:

The ONE time I want Wisconsin to win.

Wisconsin was trying really hard to give me another reason to hate them. I wasn't into the idea of taking vacation time to watch the game on Thursday and a second game potentially on Friday.

Well that was scary but at least we got the night bracket. Hoping we at least go out in competitive fashion on Friday night.

Gophers have to play there best game of the season. PSU is confident and playing well, but an all out effort by the Gophers should see them prevail. The fact that their ticket to the dance is on the line should shake the kids up. Here's to hoping we see stellar play from the kids in maroon and gold. (Just don't wear the whites...)

It seems like everybody in this thread is acknowledging that Minnesota is a bad basketball team that doesn't deserve to be in the NCAA tournament. If you don't want to play Indiana and you don't want to play Illinois and you don't want to play Rutgers and you don't want to play Penn State...who do you want to play? If the Gophers aren't good enough to beat a Penn State team playing for nothing on a neutral floor, that says everything about Minnesota. If they do make the tournament, they will have to beat someone better than Penn State to advance...and it's beyond time to expect to start winning some tournament games.

When I say “some lapses” I mean losing close games to Bradley and DePaul early on. They lost @Alabama and to NC State also, neither of those embarrassing.

Yes they lost 10 in a row in conference. We finished 3-7 down the stretch. That’s also pretty bad.

The line for the game will basically be a pick, maybe PSU by 1 or 2.

It seems like everybody in this thread is acknowledging that Minnesota is a bad basketball team that doesn't deserve to be in the NCAA tournament. If you don't want to play Indiana and you don't want to play Illinois and you don't want to play Rutgers and you don't want to play Penn State...who do you want to play? If the Gophers aren't good enough to beat a Penn State team playing for nothing on a neutral floor, that says everything about Minnesota. If they do make the tournament, they will have to beat someone better than Penn State to advance...and it's beyond time to expect to start winning some tournament games.

+1000

Ain't it true. I still don't know what to make of these Gophers after this many months, but I will say one thing: the 1995-96 Gopher team that MISSED qualifying for the NCAA field would wipe the floor with this year's team.

Ain't it true. I still don't know what to make of these Gophers after this many months, but I will say one thing: the 1995-96 Gopher team that MISSED qualifying for the NCAA field would wipe the floor with this year's team.

Depends on the day.

No guard play makes the team really inconsistent.
On a good day this gopher team is a borderline top 25 team. On a bad day they could lose to a team rated around 100.

They haven’t lost to anyone much worse than that. But hard for them to be consistent without guard play.

Certainly true.

I like our draw in the BTT!

Penn State still is a bad team and one we can beat most nights. Plus they are a Quad 1 so a loss isn't a huge killer.

We get past them and we get the only top three team in the B1G we have actually beaten this year!

Depends on the day.

No guard play makes the team really inconsistent.
On a good day this gopher team is a borderline top 25 team. On a bad day they could lose to a team rated around 100.

They haven’t lost to anyone much worse than that. But hard for them to be consistent without guard play.

Nope.

Bad was right on. Bobby J and co. were shafted that year. And that team would KILL this years team, 99/100 times.

Nope.

Bad was right on. Bobby J and co. were shafted that year. And that team would KILL this years team, 99/100 times.

and win in a close game the other 1 game.

That team was going to do some damage that year. Sweet 16/Elite 8 was possible. They also had Mark Jones. Clem's non conference scheduling probably did him in that year.

That team was going to do some damage that year. Sweet 16/Elite 8 was possible. They also had Mark Jones. Clem's non conference scheduling probably did him in that year.

It was a different era. As I recall, Gophers and Cal were on the bubble and there was a head to head game that Cal won and the Gophers lost. Decision made. I recall believing we got robbed since no .500 team in the B1G had ever been denied, and the Gophers went like 7-2 in the back nine including a win at Illinois. We should have been a lock then. But not so.

For all the "wow" memories about that team, don't forget they got hammered by Tulane in the first game of the NIT. Yes, a lot of things go into a first round NIT loss, but Tulane was bigger and quicker than the Gophers. That loss probably motivated them to realize they needed to work to get better, and they did.

1992-93 season is when Gophers got most hosed

Gophers got screwed more in 1993. That's my recollection. They beat Penny Hardaway and Memphis State at the Barn on New Year's Eve, and they beat manhandled a good Steve Nash-led Santa Clara team on the road, too.

I remember not having the Gophers in my Field of 64 in 1996. Non-conference was really weak if recall correctly.

Last edited:

This is absolutely true, but comparing eras is a precarious activity. The game was a lot different then. Less roster turnover. Players in college a lot longer, and likely more talent since the trip to the NBA took a lot longer. My guess is there were maybe 50 or so fewer D-1 teams, so talent wasn't as spread out either. It would be a tough argument to say the quality of play now is better than in the 90's. Comparing the Gophers of today to '96 isn't really a fair comparison to either of the teams. It's a different time.

For all the hand wringing and a couple of head scratching defeats this year, we are maybe one game behind what I thought was realistic when the season started. Given little contribution from Curry or Washington, that is borderline amazing.

It was a different era. As I recall, Gophers and Cal were on the bubble and there was a head to head game that Cal won and the Gophers lost. Decision made. I recall believing we got robbed since no .500 team in the B1G had ever been denied, and the Gophers went like 7-2 in the back nine including a win at Illinois. We should have been a lock then. But not so.

For all the "wow" memories about that team, don't forget they got hammered by Tulane in the first game of the NIT. Yes, a lot of things go into a first round NIT loss, but Tulane was bigger and quicker than the Gophers. That loss probably motivated them to realize they needed to work to get better, and they did.

Did the Gophers have Bobby Jackson in that game vs Cal? If they did, he was still recovering and learning to play with his new team.

I was at that Tulane game. Jerald Honeycutt was the man. However, I've always excused that game as a let down

This is absolutely true, but comparing eras is a precarious activity. The game was a lot different then. Less roster turnover. Players in college a lot longer, and likely more talent since the trip to the NBA took a lot longer. My guess is there were maybe 50 or so fewer D-1 teams, so talent wasn't as spread out either. It would be a tough argument to say the quality of play now is better than in the 90's. Comparing the Gophers of today to '96 isn't really a fair comparison to either of the teams. It's a different time.

For all the hand wringing and a couple of head scratching defeats this year, we are maybe one game behind what I thought was realistic when the season started. Given little contribution from Curry or Washington, that is borderline amazing.

When you and others break down the contemporary weakness of the "bubble," y'all are making a perhaps unintentional strong case for going back to a 64-team field. A guy can dream, can't he? :p

As far as 1995-96 goes, another thing that killed the Gophs was that Dick Bennett had left UW-Green Bay the prior year, leaving a talented team but lacking his in-game coaching. They failed to win their conference tournament but made the NCAAs as an at-large, eating up one of those bids.

Tulane did beat our butts in that 2nd-round NIT game. I think the Gophers had so soundly handled Saint Louis in the first round, they started to look past the task at hand toward MSG, and they got pounced on. And, of course, Tulane played great. I remember the alarm expressed by fans and media at the time - saying that the Gophers were clearly not athletic enough to make a NCAA run and so it was good they didn't get a bid. Nonsense. They simply played poorly in one game. They proved their mettle the next year and in spades.

Did the Gophers have Bobby Jackson in that game vs Cal? If they did, he was still recovering and learning to play with his new team.

I was at that Tulane game. Jerald Honeycutt was the man. However, I've always excused that game as a let down

I'm old but I remember Bobby getting a cameo against Cal. I think there was some talk about a redshirt from the injury, but his playing that game (at least a little bit) answered that question. He wasn't a difference maker in his first game in Gopher uniform coming off of injury. The rest is history, of course.

Cal was the first - or one of the first - game that Jackson played coming back from his stress fracture. Interestingly, Hosea Crittenden came in with the Gophers way down and nearly led the team back to potentially winning it. But when it got close, Clem (logically) put the starters back in, and they fell back and fell short. Honest to goodness, by the time Hosea was a senior (that year), he was a pretty damn good point guard. Senior-year Hosea could start for this year's team. Laugh at me all you want, you people.

Exactly. They were playing very, very well in Feb......

Top Bottom