Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default STrib: Fleck told Tanner and Zack it's a competition for QB1

per Megan:

Quarterback questions

Sophomore Zack Annexstad and redshirt sophomore Tanner Morgan split the season last year, and Fleck said that competition will continue into 2019.

“I don’t know if you start from scratch, but Tanner and Zack have the most experience, and they’re probably going to be the ones at the beginning to get the most reps,” Fleck said. “But it is a competition, and I’ve said that from Day 1 to both of them.”

Annexstad, who dealt with injuries much of last season, started seven games before Morgan took over the remaining six. Annexstad threw for 1,277 yards and nine touchdowns with a 51.87 completion percentage. Morgan amassed 1,401 yards and nine touchdowns with a 58.55 percentage.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck...ice/506833742/

Go Gophers!!

In any case, it looks like we have a decent backup if our #1 QB is out due to injury ever.

#TeamTanner

One thing for certain, there simply aren't enough reps in the limited number of practices and scrimmages to give an EQUAL number of fair, apples to apples reps with four QBs. At least one of them, if not two, will be shortchanged on reps. It's up to these guys to take the limited opportunities they'll have to impress the coaches.

Competition when both players are solid is always a good thing. They will push each other to get better. Chances are good we will need more then one QB at some point next year so having multiple viable options is a great position to be in. There are not a lot of programs out there that can enter a season with a ton of confidence in both of their returning QBs.

The Gophers will always have one of the youngest teams in college football. I don't know why, I just know that it never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    One thing for certain, there simply aren't enough reps in the limited number of practices and scrimmages to give an EQUAL number of fair, apples to apples reps with four QBs. At least one of them, if not two, will be shortchanged on reps. It's up to these guys to take the limited opportunities they'll have to impress the coaches.
    I think Fleck will give Tanner and Zack pretty equal snaps. I think Zack will bring it and make this an interesting lead up to the opener. Got to think he really wants the opportunity to play with his two oline buddies from FLA. He'll need a lot more separation than last year to overtake Tanner...

Glad they have said it’s open and no one ran away from that it felt entitled and transferred. Will make the team that much better. Will be fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthkid View Post
    Glad they have said it’s open and no one ran away from that it felt entitled and transferred. Will make the team that much better. Will be fun to watch
    In the press conference PJ made it sound like he is pretty clear with everyone that it is always a competition for every spot. So while PJ said it, it's not like it was an announcment or anything.

"If you have two QB's you don't have one".

I want someone to run away with this. I don't care who it is, but I want it to be because they worked their asses off and are head and shoulders the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Winasota Gopher View Post
    "If you have two QB's you don't have one".

I want someone to run away with this. I don't care who it is, but I want it to be because they worked their asses off and are head and shoulders the guy.
    Even if someone isn't a run away winner.... just pick a guy. Gotta give one guy the reps / game time.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Even if someone isn't a run away winner.... just pick a guy. Gotta give one guy the reps / game time.
    If it comes to that, I'd take Morgan since he proved capable in the Big Ten season.

It will be interesting if Fleck is ever able to get and/or develop a QB that can win games for us, himself.

Minnesota football, at least going back to Mason, has been about running backs winning games for us. It really hasn't ever been about a QB being "the dude" and winning the game.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Exactly. Then when that guy is hobbled, put the other guy in and give your offense a better chance at success and let the other guy heal.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthkid View Post
    +1. I thought of PN9 the second I read the thread title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy