STrib: Fleck told Tanner and Zack it's a competition for QB1

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Quarterback questions

Sophomore Zack Annexstad and redshirt sophomore Tanner Morgan split the season last year, and Fleck said that competition will continue into 2019.

“I don’t know if you start from scratch, but Tanner and Zack have the most experience, and they’re probably going to be the ones at the beginning to get the most reps,” Fleck said. “But it is a competition, and I’ve said that from Day 1 to both of them.”

Annexstad, who dealt with injuries much of last season, started seven games before Morgan took over the remaining six. Annexstad threw for 1,277 yards and nine touchdowns with a 51.87 completion percentage. Morgan amassed 1,401 yards and nine touchdowns with a 58.55 percentage.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...ience-heading-into-spring-practice/506833742/

Go Gophers!!

In any case, it looks like we have a decent backup if our #1 QB is out due to injury ever.

One thing for certain, there simply aren't enough reps in the limited number of practices and scrimmages to give an EQUAL number of fair, apples to apples reps with four QBs. At least one of them, if not two, will be shortchanged on reps. It's up to these guys to take the limited opportunities they'll have to impress the coaches.

Competition when both players are solid is always a good thing. They will push each other to get better. Chances are good we will need more then one QB at some point next year so having multiple viable options is a great position to be in. There are not a lot of programs out there that can enter a season with a ton of confidence in both of their returning QBs.

The Gophers will always have one of the youngest teams in college football. I don't know why, I just know that it never changes.

One thing for certain, there simply aren't enough reps in the limited number of practices and scrimmages to give an EQUAL number of fair, apples to apples reps with four QBs. At least one of them, if not two, will be shortchanged on reps. It's up to these guys to take the limited opportunities they'll have to impress the coaches.

I think Fleck will give Tanner and Zack pretty equal snaps. I think Zack will bring it and make this an interesting lead up to the opener. Got to think he really wants the opportunity to play with his two oline buddies from FLA. He'll need a lot more separation than last year to overtake Tanner...

Glad they have said it’s open and no one ran away from that it felt entitled and transferred. Will make the team that much better. Will be fun to watch

Glad they have said it’s open and no one ran away from that it felt entitled and transferred. Will make the team that much better. Will be fun to watch

In the press conference PJ made it sound like he is pretty clear with everyone that it is always a competition for every spot. So while PJ said it, it's not like it was an announcment or anything.

"If you have two QB's you don't have one".

I want someone to run away with this. I don't care who it is, but I want it to be because they worked their asses off and are head and shoulders the guy.

I want someone to run away with this. I don't care who it is, but I want it to be because they worked their asses off and are head and shoulders the guy.

Even if someone isn't a run away winner.... just pick a guy. Gotta give one guy the reps / game time.

Even if someone isn't a run away winner.... just pick a guy. Gotta give one guy the reps / game time.

If it comes to that, I'd take Morgan since he proved capable in the Big Ten season.

It will be interesting if Fleck is ever able to get and/or develop a QB that can win games for us, himself.

Minnesota football, at least going back to Mason, has been about running backs winning games for us. It really hasn't ever been about a QB being "the dude" and winning the game.

Exactly. Then when that guy is hobbled, put the other guy in and give your offense a better chance at success and let the other guy heal.

+1. I thought of PN9 the second I read the thread title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard that adage about QBs multiple times but I really don't think it applies in this case. Both guys have shown an ability to get the job done which is rare and this is one of those cases where I think most of us would feel pretty confident in either of those two leading the team.

With Morgan and Annexstad I just don't know that you are going to have a clear cut lead guy. I would give the edge to Morgan based on how last year ended but if Annexstad beats him out so be it. They have similar skill sets so it doesn't seem likely that one of them dominates the other at this point.

The X factor would be someone like Clark coming in and blowing the team away with their play. That is the only real scenario outside of injury where there is likely to be a clear cut, no question, number one guy. More then likely we will be looking at a 1a/1b scenario.

I would however like to see us roll with one guy as the starter and not do the whole rotating QBs thing. That rarely seems to work and based on how Fleck has handled things I don't see him being a big proponent of that either. Have a starter and mix in the wildcat.

I have heard that adage about QBs multiple times but I really don't think it applies in this case. Both guys have shown an ability to get the job done which is rare and this is one of those cases where I think most of us would feel pretty confident in either of those two leading the team.

With Morgan and Annexstad I just don't know that you are going to have a clear cut lead guy. I would give the edge to Morgan based on how last year ended but if Annexstad beats him out so be it. They have similar skill sets so it doesn't seem likely that one of them dominates the other at this point.

The X factor would be someone like Clark coming in and blowing the team away with their play. That is the only real scenario outside of injury where there is likely to be a clear cut, no question, number one guy. More then likely we will be looking at a 1a/1b scenario.

I would however like to see us roll with one guy as the starter and not do the whole rotating QBs thing. That rarely seems to work and based on how Fleck has handled things I don't see him being a big proponent of that either. Have a starter and mix in the wildcat.

My guess would be equal reps for both in spring ball, start equal in fall and then start shifting towards whichever is better and have a starter by the first game. Then, pick a score differential at which you'll consider the team far enough ahead that you can give the other one some reps. If Morgan and Annexstad are still quite close to each other in skill, the backup should be able to handle the offense without worry of losing the lead.

Who knows, maybe Annexstad plays in less than 4 games and you get a redshirt year back (I don't think that's the plan, but it would be a nice possibility).

with all due respect: Unless a team has a legitimate starting-caliber QB returning - maybe one who has received all-conf or honorable mention notice - the coach is always going to say "there's a competition at QB."

You don't want to hand the job to someone - unless its a no-doubter - like an All-Conf QB returning and #2 on the depth chart is a RS FR who has never taken a snap in a game.

in the case of the gophers, they have two QB's returning who played in multiple games, and each had some success. so its a no-brainer for the coach to say there will be a competition.

Just once, I would love to see a coach come out and say something like "well, you know Fred is going to be the starter, unless his arm falls off, because the rest of the QB's on the roster stink on ice." But, in the real world, that is not going to happen.

QB CONUNDRUM

with all due respect: Unless a team has a legitimate starting-caliber QB returning - maybe one who has received all-conf or honorable mention notice - the coach is always going to say "there's a competition at QB."

You don't want to hand the job to someone - unless its a no-doubter - like an All-Conf QB returning and #2 on the depth chart is a RS FR who has never taken a snap in a game.

in the case of the gophers, they have two QB's returning who played in multiple games, and each had some success. so its a no-brainer for the coach to say there will be a competition.

Just once, I would love to see a coach come out and say something like "well, you know Fred is going to be the starter, unless his arm falls off, because the rest of the QB's on the roster stink on ice." But, in the real world, that is not going to happen.

I am intrigued to say how it plays out. Morgan oversaw the team when we really improved on offense, but he also benefited from Faelele's insertion onto the line. What would Annexsted have done with a better O line? Annexsted seemed to be able to push the ball to the sidelines better, but he locked onto a receiver and didn't show great pocket presence. Morgan had that presence; he could step up into the pocket, and run for yards also. Could Annexstad had done that with a healthy ankle? Who knows? Neither of them were consistent with the deep ball. Both seemed to be good leaders, liked by their teammates. I don't favor one over the other. May the best QB win, and hopefully they keep supporting each other and improving. Looking forward to seeing it unfold at the spring practices. Ski U MAh!

Morgan IMO looked sharper and more decisive from his first start vs ZA and this includes the preseason games. Beyond the significantly better statistical profile his intangibles seemed superior. I’ll be very surprised if he he loses his starting position but I allow ZA was a true freshman and had worse protection than TM- maybe ZA comes out and blow the doors off this year. Stronger to help shake off those dropback/scrambling hits, more decisive, less intimidated.

Morgan IMO looked sharper and more decisive from his first start vs ZA and this includes the preseason games. Beyond the significantly better statistical profile his intangibles seemed superior. I’ll be very surprised if he he loses his starting position but I allow ZA was a true freshman and had worse protection than TM- maybe ZA comes out and blow the doors off this year. Stronger to help shake off those dropback/scrambling hits, more decisive, less intimidated.

Agree. I think the injury put ZA behind. Once the rust wore off, TM came on strong. You could tell that with the redshirt year, he was not having to think as much as Zack. Tanner was able to just react and play. Not taking anything away from young Mr. Morgan. He played extremely well vs solid competition. I think he's in the drivers seat at the moment. I just think he had an advantage in addition to being fully healthy and the line improving when he got in.

It will be interesting to see if either runs more in the Zone read knowing there is an experienced backup.

If Nelson was around he'd be slamming doors, pouting or whatever as he wasn't the anointed one. Every game every year you have to earn your spot. Not handed to you.

I'm with Captain Morgan. It's pretty hard to justify benching a guy who just had by far the most impressive Freshman QB performance in school history, and one of the best statistical totals of ANY QB who has ever played here.

That said, I don't see what PJF has to lose by keeping competition lively in spring ball. It's also not fair to consign ZA's career to the bench over something that was mostly an injury that happened as a Freshman.

I do hope they pick someone in spring. I'm hoping they don't go into fall camp splitting reps.

It will be interesting if Fleck is ever able to get and/or develop a QB that can win games for us, himself.

Minnesota football, at least going back to Mason, has been about running backs winning games for us. It really hasn't ever been about a QB being "the dude" and winning the game.

I suppose it depends on how you feel about Jacob Clark. A lot of people seem to believe he has that kind of potential....im still a little skeptical about him as a game changer QB but he should be solid regardless. But back to your question/point, I do think it’s a matter of when not if with the way this staff is developing the skill positions. Fleck came close on a couple blue chip prospects already in Mertz and Duggan and that was before they showcased the depth they are developing at WR this past season so who knows. The staff seem to be really high on Athan Kaliakmanis (2021 kid) and it sounds like they are in a decent spot with him so maybe he’s the one? Time will tell.

PJ should have pulled the plug earlier on ZA with the injury. It was painful watching him hobble around trying to move the ball. We never really found out much about him other than PJ stuck with him too long. Both will be ready and are B1G quality Both need to throw a much better long ball. The WRs made great adjustments and fought for the ball to save those throws over and over again. Our WRs are pretty good for a change. Better than the QBs. Both were FR, they will greatly improve.

I suppose it depends on how you feel about Jacob Clark. A lot of people seem to believe he has that kind of potential....im still a little skeptical about him as a game changer QB but he should be solid regardless.

Pretty much every HS Sr QB the Gophers have recruited in the Internet era has been touted as a game changer sure to take over from the clowns who are there and lead us to the promised land.

PJ should have pulled the plug earlier on ZA with the injury. It was painful watching him hobble around trying to move the ball. We never really found out much about him other than PJ stuck with him too long. Both will be ready and are B1G quality Both need to throw a much better long ball. The WRs made great adjustments and fought for the ball to save those throws over and over again. Our WRs are pretty good for a change. Better than the QBs. Both were FR, they will greatly improve.

That's the thing. Annexstad did not get to play very long at 100%, and he also was the QB at the start of the season while the OL was still developing, and the defense was going through its own issues.

Morgan benefitted from playing behind a stronger OL once Faalele moved in, and also got to be the QB at the end of the year when the defense was playing markedly better.

so, fans remember Morgan at the end of the season, and they are comparing him to Annexstad who was hobbled in several games and did not look good. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

at the end of the day, when the two were competing against each other for the starting job in fall camp, Fleck saw something in Annexstad that made him say "he's my guy." that's why I don't think Morgan is a lock.

Not sure why Fleck kept Annexstad in so long when it was clear he was hurt. Discussion for last fall I guess. Hopefully we'll be beyond that now.

Not sure why Fleck kept Annexstad in so long when it was clear he was hurt. Discussion for last fall I guess. Hopefully we'll be beyond that now.

Yeah that frustrated me last year too.

Tanner Morgan was in an advantageous position last year. He had a red shirt year off. Then, he sad back while Zach was playing hurt. After that, the insertion of Faalele really was a difference maker.

It's his job to lose.

For this coming season, we have to wait and see who Jared Weyler's replacement is. He's the unsung hero of the O-Line calling the right protection schemes. Nothing is assured until we see how the new look O-Line will be after the non-conference games.

The Gophers could easily be a six-game winner as much as a nine game winner. It is important that they get off to a good start.

Top Bottom