***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Yeah. This game had letdown written all over it. When your coach tells you you’re in the tournament after a dramatic senior night, what are you playing for? Not sure I agree with that approach.

We just don’t match up well with Maryland either. 9 point road loss won’t look so bad, I bet this doesn’t move the needle either way.

yeah as a Pitino fan I do think his strategy post Purdue lost some of that desperation the team was playing with... but I also don't think it is wise for our players to ride that into the tournament... you always want to play desperate and play like there's no tomorrow. manufacturing that desperation by telling your team they won't get in unless they win out is superfluous and unnecessary

I’m listing his weaknesses and probably why he wouldn’t be drafted if he declared for the draft.

so his weaknesses are jump shooting, scoring at the rim, ball handling and dribbling with his off hand. it's a miracle he scored any points in his career

Yeah. This game had letdown written all over it. When your coach tells you you’re in the tournament after a dramatic senior night, what are you playing for? Not sure I agree with that approach.

We just don’t match up well with Maryland either. 9 point road loss won’t look so bad, I bet this doesn’t move the needle either way.

Yeah I definitely was surprised based on Matz's comments the other day. Then again I suppose he was thinking he had to put his eggs in one basket assuming we needed one of these two and at home on Senior night was his best bet. Still didn't sit well when I heard it. Happy we had enough smarts to get tonight down to a "better" loss optically speaking.

I can't imagine this team without Coffey, and I'm not even a huge coffey guy.

+1. And next year is the worst time to make a coaching change with regards to the 2020 class. It really should be done now, or you give Richard 2-3 more years. I know which way I'd go.

Sounds like I didn't miss anything but aggravation by getting absorbed in the Minnesota Boys Hockey tournament instead of watching this game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

yeah as a Pitino fan I do think his strategy post Purdue lost some of that desperation the team was playing with... but I also don't think it is wise for our players to ride that into the tournament... you always want to play desperate and play like there's no tomorrow. manufacturing that desperation by telling your team they won't get in unless they win out is superfluous and unnecessary

That desperation at the end there is exactly what we need. We all know we need to get out and run. Just have to make it happen.

Game wasn’t as close as you think it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Games are now played on paper, not on the court, so it is what it is no matter how much we all disagree with it and know how the game really played out.

so his weaknesses are jump shooting, scoring at the rim, ball handling and dribbling with his off hand. it's a miracle he scored any points in his career

Bro relax are you his Daddy? You’re flipping out because I said he wouldn’t get drafted if he submitted his name. I never said he’s a pathetic player. I stated before he’s a good college player.

Glad they closed the margin in garbage time. I guess I'll hold all my opinions about the coach to myself, wouldn't want to creep anyone out. Will post only positive things from now on.

Sounds like a plan! PS there's plenty of threads complaining about Pitino that I'm sure you'd find suitable.

Last edited:

I didn't read through the entire thread but did anyone notice the announcer call Stockman "Matzilla"?

And no, I'm not in the least offended by it.

22-9
13-7 conference
(Rest of quote deleted for brevity)

This is the kind of record I expect the Gophers to have with no excuses or rationalizations as to why we can not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Look, none of us expected the Gophers to win this game. But the arc of this game was hilarious: so much talk about us losing by 30 or 40 and about Pitino needing to be gone (shocker!) and what do we end up with? A 9-point road loss to a Top 25 team on their Senior Night. In other words, respectably efficient!

Gotta love it!

Actually not efficient at all. Thus another loss for a 9-11 team. Not being efficient is why were not in the game. Turnovers and poor shot selection, below average defense is a really inefficient way to play.

I mean they look good like best team in the conference good when they play the Gophers. Balance between inside and outside game and defense.
Yeah, Turgeon has used and abused the Gophers since Maryland joined the B1G. Scheme, athlete's, whatever it is, the Gophers just don't matchup well with Turgeon's teams.

My two beers in psychology on why Pitino kept saying they were in after the last game: it was to sell it to the general public but mostly for his boss. If they are not selected he can be outraged and blame it on the committee rather than on himself for not getting it done. If he is fired he saves face as well.

A Terrell.....MD version of Rudrud

That was the worst shot I’ve seen in a college game in a long time. I’m still kind of chuckling about it.

Also, Rudrud has a brother playing in the state high school hockey tournament for EP right now, you don’t hear of too many families with one son playing hoops and the other hockey.

Yeah, Turgeon has used and abused the Gophers since Maryland joined the B1G. Scheme, athlete's, whatever it is, the Gophers just don't matchup well with Turgeon's teams.

Very true. I know some Terp fans are not happy with Turgeon, but he has proven to be a really good recruiter. I don’t watch them enough to know why some are frustrated by him.

I care about the program and the U over my feelings about any coach. Dominating NW and beating a great Purdue team did the trick for me. It is not time to start over with the young guys we have and a HUGE 2020 class on the line. If we make the tournament, that is a building block in the right direction.

People aren't going to look back and say "We made the tourney, but we were only 9-11 in conference." They're going to remember that we made the NCAAs again.
Look at it from the recruits perspective and what other schools are showing them. Other schools are showing them way more success by any measure. They put side by side coaching records, NBA players, you name it. They look for the best offer covering lots of variables and we have many good things to sell. One of the things sold against us is the record. Some kids, even in the state have already turned away toward coaches stacking awesome win totals. Why do some fans lash out at other fans who just are not happy with losing conference records. I post after wins and losses giving positive and critical opinions.

Bottom line was nobody on this planet thought we were gonna finish 2-0. We played great on Tuesday at home and after a huge win at home thinking we made tourney we sucked tonight in s big letdown situation. Almost every team that is in our situation probably does same thing. Now again people are pissed at Pitino. We got bad shooting coffey tonight. That is always a loss!

Very true. I know some Terp fans are not happy with Turgeon, but he has proven to be a really good recruiter. I don’t watch them enough to know why some are frustrated by him.

Many fans are unhappy with him...including me. He does recruit well...but he's done very little with the talent he's had over the years. His better teams have always seemed to fade towards the end of seasons and then fizzle out. On certain nights his teams just look like they don't play hard. The patience of many fans is wearing thin.

He replaced a hall of famer in Gary Williams which makes it tough. But Gary's teams always played hard as they took on the personality of their coach. The problem with Gary towards the end of his career is he didn't like the recruiting game.

Many fans are unhappy with him...including me. He does recruit well...but he's done very little with the talent he's had over the years. His better teams have always seemed to fade towards the end of seasons and then fizzle out. On certain nights his teams just look like they don't play hard. The patience of many fans is wearing thin.

He replaced a hall of famer in Gary Williams which makes it tough. But Gary's teams always played hard as they took on the personality of their coach. The problem with Gary towards the end of his career is he didn't like the recruiting game.

Thanks for the insight. Certainly an easier place to recruit well, I would think, and just looking at all that young talent it seems like things are trending up. Like i mentioned earlier though when i watch them play the Gophers they look like the best lineup in the conference so the underachieving aspect makes sense.

Last edited:

Bottom line was nobody on this planet thought we were gonna finish 2-0. We played great on Tuesday at home and after a huge win at home thinking we made tourney we sucked tonight in s big letdown situation. Almost every team that is in our situation probably does same thing. Now again people are pissed at Pitino. We got bad shooting coffey tonight. That is always a loss!

Way too much of this easy to explain away after every loss.

It’s not the loss that bothers people it’s the way the Gophers loss. Another non-competitive performance on the road. There have been too many of them for it to be just simply explained away.

No Alphas on this team whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My two beers in psychology on why Pitino kept saying they were in after the last game: it was to sell it to the general public but mostly for his boss. If they are not selected he can be outraged and blame it on the committee rather than on himself for not getting it done. If he is fired he saves face as well.

I had the same thought. Had a feeling of trying to will it to be true.

**Adds Mark Turgeon to coaching wish list**

Ugly game. Out rebounded, out hustled, lost turnover battle, can’t hit broad sign of a barn shooting.

It’s the same thing we see almost every road game against teams that are better than terrible. I find it funny that since they got it under 10 that this won’t look bad in their resume. This game was a blowout almost the whole way. They weren’t even competitive. I’m just not sure where the heart or desire lies in this team. It seems to turn on and off

Top Bottom