***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

I am looking for that level of results. And what if the next threes years are over .500? Will you stop attacking our coach?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not attacking. Pointing out on a message board what he has done poorly, tip my hat when he does something well. Your entitled to celebrate 40-70 if you want. Your entitled to think it is really going to get great. I will not be happy if we have three straight 11-9 records because that would mean 9 years without ever sniffing the top of the conference. Again, it is ok if you think he is great, i do not. I have studied every great coach, they all established soundness of three parts of the game from day one, even through early losing but had resounding success by year 5. You have your opinions i have mine. I am not claiming mine is better, merely laying out the study of all non blue blood success stories. The board offers all sorts of opinions and a very detailed observation of Pitino i do not see greatness. He does not have a impressive presence, he does not command respect on the recruiting trail nor is he a highly successful technician or handler of people. He does have a really tough job. all the non blue blood jobs are really tough. UW is a very hard job, UVA is a really hard job, Villanova is a really hard job. I pointed out those three because of not only access and association but the fact they did not cheat, faced problems with recruiting and facilities and overcame them with stratospheric heights of teaching. Why is that a crime to you to want big success and never settling for mediocrity.

I know, none of it is his fault, including being hired in the first place. Plus he has had every bad break there has ever been. On top of that you never need to establish a brand or a identity. I am convinced i have no clue and now i expect a great tourney run and that will solidify him as a all time great.

Don’t be so ridiculous. No one said that Pitino isn’t at fault for recruiting, roster problems or coaching errors. Some of us still think that Pitino will be a successful coach at the U and that he is learning. We just get sick of a small group of posters that complain about everything the team or coaches do. You are all entitled to your opinions, but please understand that not everyone is enlightened by your wisdom.

Not attacking. Pointing out on a message board what he has done poorly, tip my hat when he does something well. Your entitled to celebrate 40-70 if you want. Your entitled to think it is really going to get great. I will not be happy if we have three straight 11-9 records because that would mean 9 years without ever sniffing the top of the conference. Again, it is ok if you think he is great, i do not. I have studied every great coach, they all established soundness of three parts of the game from day one, even through early losing but had resounding success by year 5. You have your opinions i have mine. I am not claiming mine is better, merely laying out the study of all non blue blood success stories. The board offers all sorts of opinions and a very detailed observation of Pitino i do not see greatness. He does not have a impressive presence, he does not command respect on the recruiting trail nor is he a highly successful technician or handler of people. He does have a really tough job. all the non blue blood jobs are really tough. UW is a very hard job, UVA is a really hard job, Villanova is a really hard job. I pointed out those three because of not only access and association but the fact they did not cheat, faced problems with recruiting and facilities and overcame them with stratospheric heights of teaching. Why is that a crime to you to want big success and never settling for mediocrity.

That’s fair, I respect your opinion. It is obvious that Pitino got the job at the U too early and he is the first to acknowledge it. He didn’t come in with a track record of being a head coach. He had some concepts of what he wanted to do, but he is adjusting as he learns. He also made reaches for some early recruits and that set him back. I think he is developing his style with versatile players that play fast with tenacious defensive. I know you get sick of hearing it, but Teague signed us up for a learn on the job coach. I still think Pitino has shown promise on some of his player development and coaching. I think it is too early to throw in the towel.

What does fine mean? A below .500 record in the big 10 is fine to many.

Could you tell me what fine means? 40 and 70 is fine for many. I have no idea what you mean by fine.

Maybe 18-13, 9-11 squarely on the bubble. If we're lucky. Can't wait!

You can’t look at his overall record. Joey King was the best player on one of his teams in the early years and last year multiple things occurred out of his control.

With that said I really like how he is honest and open and entertaining with the media.

I don’t like his in game coaching. Home to Purdue he wasn’t capable of calling a solid in bounce play with his job and the season on the line.

We all get to have our opinion, but at the end of the day the Athletic director is paid to do what’s best for the University.

He could spend one day talking to all the potential recruits for the next two years and he will get a good pulse on our future.

Great Players make Great Coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) You can’t look at his overall record. Joey King was the best player on one of his teams in the early years and last year multiple things occurred out of his control.

2) With that said I really like how he is honest and open and entertaining with the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) I'm assuming you're talking about the execrable 8 win team. Joey King wasn't the best player on that team. He was the best shooter on that team but he was always a pretty good shooter. Less than halfway through that year (his freshman year), Murphy was better. I would say that Mason was better as well.

2) If those are his best qualities, perhaps he should shoot for a career as a talk show host. I would add that one easily can give the impression of being open and honest without really being open and honest. As far as being entertaining, I wouldn't say he's close to being in the Jim Valvano class but Valvano was also a fine coach.

1) I think he is developing his style with versatile players that play fast with tenacious defensive.

2) I know you get sick of hearing it, but Teague signed us up for a learn on the job coach.

3) I still think Pitino has shown promise on some of his player development and coaching.

4) I think it is too early to throw in the towel.

1) I keep reading that around here and I keep wondering if the people who write that actually have learned anything from watching Big Ten basketball. I don't care what his "style" is. This is a tough, physical, defensive half-court league. You're not going to be able consistently to run up and down the court and score a bunch against weak transition defense in this league. Even if Pitino's teams could do that often, they'd lose more often than not because the majority of Big Ten teams have better athleticism than Minnesota. Lots of players play well in a transition game. It's the tough half-court game that separates the men from the boys.

Let's look at "pace" in the Big Ten: 1) Illinois; 2) Iowa; 3) Michigan State; 4) Minnesota. There is only one honestly good team in that top four and that team has the horses to play at any pace.

Let's look at the bottom four: 14) Wisconsin; 13) Michigan; 12) Purdue; 11) Maryland. That's four of the top five teams in the league.

2) Yes, by all means, let's continue to double down on the mistakes of a disgraced AD for as long as possible.

3) That belief is just simply bizarre. I can only assume that those of you who say that have little experience in teaching or training. His player development record is terrible. I guess that those of you who believe that just look at his best players and assume that's all due to him. Great players are like great students. You could have an orangutan coach them and they'd still improve.

4) Yeah, OK, let's defer evaluation until year ten.

1) I keep reading that around here and I keep wondering if the people who write that actually have learned anything from watching Big Ten basketball. I don't care what his "style" is. This is a tough, physical, defensive half-court league. You're not going to be able consistently to run up and down the court and score a bunch against weak transition defense in this league. Even if Pitino's teams could do that often, they'd lose more often than not because the majority of Big Ten teams have better athleticism than Minnesota. Lots of players play well in a transition game. It's the tough half-court game that separates the men from the boys.

Let's look at "pace" in the Big Ten: 1) Illinois; 2) Iowa; 3) Michigan State; 4) Minnesota. There is only one honestly good team in that top four and that team has the horses to play at any pace.

Let's look at the bottom four: 14) Wisconsin; 13) Michigan; 12) Purdue; 11) Maryland. That's four of the top five teams in the league.

2) Yes, by all means, let's continue to double down on the mistakes of a disgraced AD for as long as possible.

3) That belief is just simply bizarre. I can only assume that those of you who say that have little experience in teaching or training. His player development record is terrible. I guess that those of you who believe that just look at his best players and assume that's all due to him. Great players are like great students. You could have an orangutan coach them and they'd still improve.

Great post. The only thing we all agree on is we want him to succeed here. Of course we can not agree what succeed even means, we as fans are all over the place on how we even perceive him. I do not find him charismatic or funny or smooth with the media in any way. That is just personal preference . What is fact is his record and the off the court issues.

Teams number 6 and 7 are both faster pace.

So teams 1, 6, and 7 are faster paced.
Teams 1, 3, 4, 5 are slower paced.

Pace of play is probably not even statisitcally significant as a cause of winning. Weak correlation at best.

Not saying I disagree with your critique of the half court offense but you can’t just pretend stats say something they don’t.

Teams number 6 and 7 are both faster pace.

So teams 1, 6, and 7 are faster paced.
Teams 1, 3, 4, 5 are slower paced.

Pace of play is probably not even statisitcally significant as a cause of winning. Weak correlation at best.

Not saying I disagree with your critique of the half court offense but you can’t just pretend stats say something they don’t.

Of course I don't believe that pace is a causal factor in winning and I never said that. You read what you wanted to read.

My point was that this league is not a run and gun league. Pitino is in the wrong conference if that is his "style," and he would be just as likely to lose in this conference if he could get away with playing that way more often.

Of course I don't believe that pace is a causal factor in winning and I never said that. You read what you wanted to read.

My point was that this league is not a run and gun league. Pitino is in the wrong conference if that is his "style," and he would be just as likely to lose in this conference if he could get away with playing that way more often.

You basically said the only team that can have success while running is Michigan state because their talent is that good.

When in reality there is small correlation between pace and winning at best

You basically said the only team that can have success while running is Michigan state because their talent is that good.

When in reality there is small correlation between pace and winning at best

No, I didn't say that at all. Point those words out. Oh...you can't.

I just said that of the top 4 teams in pace, only one of them was a very good team and they would be good at any pace. You can infer some claim in my remarks if that's what you want or you can infer no claim of success at all in my remarks (I didn't). The bottom four are significantly more successful than the top four but I have no expectation that would hold over multiple samples.

Now, quit bugging me with your tiresome attempt to play "gotcha!"

Last edited:

No, I didn't say that at all. Point those words out. Oh...you can't.

I just said that of the top 4 teams in pace, only one of them was a very good team and they would be good at any pace. You can infer some claim in my remarks if that's what you want or you can infer no claim of success at all in my remarks (I didn't). The bottom four are significantly more successful than the top four but I have no expectation that would hold over multiple samples.

Now, quit bugging me with your tiresome attempt to play "gotcha!"

Lol

Are you going to be okay.

Got it. You were saying nobody can win by playing fast except Michigan state but it didn’t actually mean to imply anything. Got it

Coffey would maybe be a 2nd round pick and he’d waste away in the D-league. If he worked on his ball handles, his ability to dribble right, finish at the rim, and work on his jump shot he’d be a good role player.

I was courtside at the Maryland game and I see no chance of Coffey going pro this year. He was sleep walking through the first 30 minutes of the game and all Maryland was doing was overplaying him to drive to his left. At the ten minute remaining mark he finally figured out that he had a right hand and went into one on 5 mode driving hard to his right. He scored 17 points in 9 min and 17 sec and I find it hard to believe he was assisted on any of his buckets. He was in full scale "Teen Wolf" mode and made some ridiculous shots he was getting to with pure athleticism. Keep in mind though, none of this looked NBA caliber.

The defense on him was also reduced, more by the fact the guys chasing Amir were gassed than a let up.

My concerns from this game were:

Oturu was way outclassed by Bruno - like a child playing a man. Matz was fairly effective against Bruno and really did a good job on him. Matz came in as soon as Bruno re-entered the game several times.

Stull is a near complete non-factor - Cowan ate him up every time the Gophers had Stull on him. He looked slow and uncoordinated, totally out of his league. Passed up an open 3 at one point, drove the lane and fired a 100mph pass that went through Omersa's hands! Made him look like he was afraid to shoot.

Gabe had zero looks in the first half - Pitino's offense does nothing to free up shooters for looks, we got nothing from running the offense. Dribble-drives were the only thing freeing up anything on the outside.

Overall lack of offensive aggressiveness - outside of Coffey's last ten minutes the Gophers looked almost afraid to fail. Can't figure out why Dupree didn't drive more, he looked to be quick enough to get to the lane and dish but failed to do so.

Oh well, Maryland might just be too fast for us.

I was courtside at the Maryland game and I see no chance of Coffey going pro this year. He was sleep walking through the first 30 minutes of the game and all Maryland was doing was overplaying him to drive to his left. At the ten minute remaining mark he finally figured out that he had a right hand and went into one on 5 mode driving hard to his right. He scored 17 points in 9 min and 17 sec and I find it hard to believe he was assisted on any of his buckets. He was in full scale "Teen Wolf" mode and made some ridiculous shots he was getting to with pure athleticism. Keep in mind though, none of this looked NBA caliber.

The defense on him was also reduced, more by the fact the guys chasing Amir were gassed than a let up.

Oturu was way outclassed by Bruno - like a child playing a man. Matz was fairly effective against Bruno and really did a good job on him. Matz came in as soon as Bruno re-entered the game several times.

Stull is a near complete non-factor - Cowan ate him up every time the Gophers had Stull on him. He looked slow and uncoordinated, totally out of his league. Passed up an open 3 at one point, drove the lane and fired a 100mph pass that went through Omersa's hands! Made him look like he was afraid to shoot.

Gabe had zero looks in the first half - Pitino's offense does nothing to free up shooters for looks, we got nothing from running the offense. Dribble-drives were the only thing freeing up anything on the outside.

Overall lack of offensive aggressiveness - outside of Coffey's last ten minutes the Gophers looked almost afraid to fail. Can't figure out why Dupree didn't drive more, he looked to be quick enough to get to the lane and dish but failed to do so.

I do think Maryland is the toughest matchup for the Gophers in the Big Ten. Cowan seems to come alive when they play the Gophers, but, more importantly, the Gophers don't have anyone that can match the combined size, athleticism, and versatility of Smith. Maryland might actually have the highest ceiling of any of the Big Ten teams, but they lack consistency.

The Gophers compound problems by playing to some of their weaknesses instead of their strengths. As you alluded to, McBrayer can be an asset when he drives to the basket, but he frequently becomes a liability by settling for 3s. Oturu is getting pushed around this year and might be starting to hit a freshman wall in his play as of late. I think he will be outstanding if/when he gains 20-30 pounds of good weight, but that will take time.

At the very least, this game inspired the term "Teen Wolf Mode," which is a great contribution to society.

Matchups against guys like Fernando are just what Oturu needs to get an idea of how to take those next steps in his development. In fairness, Bruno is going to be a matchup problem for practically anyone. I remarked to my wife during the game how nimble he is. He's got Twinkle Toes Flintstone feet.

Top Bottom