***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Look at it from the recruits perspective and what other schools are showing them. Other schools are showing them way more success by any measure. They put side by side coaching records, NBA players, you name it. They look for the best offer covering lots of variables and we have many good things to sell. One of the things sold against us is the record. Some kids, even in the state have already turned away toward coaches stacking awesome win totals. Why do some fans lash out at other fans who just are not happy with losing conference records. I post after wins and losses giving positive and critical opinions.

So you think we should start over and risk 2019 and 2020 recruiting?

Way too much of this easy to explain away after every loss.

It’s not the loss that bothers people it’s the way the Gophers loss. Another non-competitive performance on the road. There have been too many of them for it to be just simply explained away.

Exactly. Same stuff every game so what's your solution this year? Have you not come to the reality that we are an average team but maybe 7th best in big ten? I get it that every game we play is a roller coaster, but if your looking for a solution after 31 games, things aren't gonna change. It's frustrating to watch at times, but what ya gonna do? As much bitching that we do we might finish 7th in the league and go to the dance. I know that our inconsistencies frustrate people, but try being a Rutgers fan lol I know we expect more as we should, but has this been a bad season?

Exactly. Same stuff every game so what's your solution this year? Have you not come to the reality that we are an average team but maybe 7th best in big ten? I get it that every game we play is a roller coaster, but if your looking for a solution after 31 games, things aren't gonna change. It's frustrating to watch at times, but what ya gonna do? As much bitching that we do we might finish 7th in the league and go to the dance. I know that our inconsistencies frustrate people, but try being a Rutgers fan lol I know we expect more as we should, but has this been a bad season?

I'd trade coaches with Rutgers right now. And I might trade rosters with them next year, especially if Coffey leaves.

So you think we should start over and risk 2019 and 2020 recruiting?

Did not say fire him, i first want to know who we are certain we can hire. 2nd, every program that achieved success did it by starting over. Lastly, what are you losing in 2019 recruits and 2020 , what kids are staying to play for Pitino . Some local kids will stay home no matter what.

I'd trade coaches with Rutgers right now. And I might trade rosters with them next year, especially if Coffey leaves.

I understand what your saying, but gonna take a pass on Rutgers coach and Rutgers roster. As much as I would like to grab a coach who's 13-41 in the big ten being in the new york area I'm gonna take a pass! We should hire chris collins too. He cant even win in the chicago area! If ya want Pitino gone that's fine, but were hoping to get coaches now that never finish above Pitino and minnesota?

50-50

Even if he comes back, we'll finish above .500 in the big 10, right?

You were wondering how Pitino was going to replace him. So you must have some inside information about him leaving? Or maybe you're just a lame troll.

I understand what your saying, but gonna take a pass on Rutgers coach and Rutgers roster. As much as I would like to grab a coach who's 13-41 in the big ten being in the new york area I'm gonna take a pass! We should hire chris collins too. He cant even win in the chicago area! If ya want Pitino gone that's fine, but were hoping to get coaches now that never finish above Pitino and minnesota?

Collins finished ahead last year, has a better conference record and has won a game in the NCAA tourney. Plus his job is much tougher than the head job here.

My two beers in psychology on why Pitino kept saying they were in after the last game: it was to sell it to the general public but mostly for his boss. If they are not selected he can be outraged and blame it on the committee rather than on himself for not getting it done. If he is fired he saves face as well.

Do ya blame him? A coach lobbying for them to be in tourney. I'm sure no other coach would of taken that approach. Lol its probably the first time a coach has done that!

The number of complete no shows from this team makes them so hard to root for:

@Boston College
@Ohio State
@Illinois
vs Wisconsin
@Michigan State
vs Michigan
@Maryland

That's 7 of their 12 losses where it honestly felt like they never showed up to compete. I would actually put the Nebraska game in this category too as they jumped out to a 15-4 lead and then let a team decimated by injuries and on a 7 game losing streak come back and hold a comfortable lead on them. It was arguably as bad a performance as many on this list.

I didn't expect a win tonight partly due to how the Gophers match up with Maryland and partly due to how frequently the Gophers have looked flat out terrible. I just don't get the vibe from Pitino or the team that these types of efforts are unacceptable which is also disappointing. In contrast the only games where the Gophers have done something like this to an opponent was Rutgers and Indiana at home.

@Boston College
@Ohio State
@Illinois
vs Wisconsin
@Michigan State
vs Michigan
@Maryland

That's 7 of their 12 losses where it honestly felt like they never showed up to compete. I would actually put the Nebraska game in this category too as they jumped out to a 15-4 lead and then let a team decimated by injuries and on a 7 game losing streak come back and hold a comfortable lead on them. It was arguably as bad a performance as many on this list.

I didn't expect a win tonight partly due to how the Gophers match up with Maryland and partly due to how frequently the Gophers have looked flat out terrible. I just don't get the vibe from Pitino or the team that these types of efforts are unacceptable which is also disappointing. In contrast the only games where the Gophers have done something like this to an opponent was Rutgers and Indiana at home.
It's like they think they are Randy Moss and can show up whenever they feel like it. (Here's a hint. Randy is still more talented.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Exactly. Same stuff every game so what's your solution this year? Have you not come to the reality that we are an average team but maybe 7th best in big ten?

I understand what this team is.

Asking them to actually compete more often than they do in a road game isn’t asking a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying Pikiell would be my first choice. But Rutgers is probably one of the 10 worst jobs in the Power 6 and he has them 1.5 games behind us in the standings. Northwestern is an even tougher place to win, and somehow Collins has a better record than Pitino in the same time frame.

Last edited:

Very true. I know some Terp fans are not happy with Turgeon, but he has proven to be a really good recruiter. I don’t watch them enough to know why some are frustrated by him.

He has so much more talent on that team than our Gophers, it’s not even close. Not sure either why their fans aren’t happy.

@Boston College
@Ohio State
@Illinois
vs Wisconsin
@Michigan State
vs Michigan
@Maryland

I agree with your list except one. The boys fought hard and played good defense against Wisconsin at home. We just couldn’t make shots or free throws in that game and Trice made some long contested threes at key moments. We showed up for that game. The rest were trash.

rest of of rant deleted, other than below:

State of Hockey, right

Screw hockey

Last edited:

Northwestern has never been a big player in Chicago recruiting and Collins is not going to change that.anytime soon. Even illinois when cheating could not get many of the best Chicago players to commit or much less get them admitted. Lou Henson turned it around when Jimmy Collins was "recruiting" for a while, but that ended once Bill Self fled to KU. In the Ray meyer days DePaul used to get the good ones admitted, and today they often end up at Duke or other big programs. I cannot blame Chris Collins for those realities concerning Chicago area talent. Northwestern is not going to get any elite Chicago players unless they become Duke overnight.

AS for Rutgers, it has has been an afterthought on the East Coast for for the last 40 years, and the current coach is not at fault for that. He has them playing hard, and they may have more or at least raw talent that MN, Iowa, NW, NU, OSU and Wisc, in terms of athletes and size.(Michigan, Maryland, MSU, Indiana have more) That program is on the uptick.

I like the 'new" Big East in general, but the old Big East in its prime was one of the things that kept Rutgers down, as they were so hapless due to being an outsider. As a member of the Big Ten, Rutgers is in a very different place, and in the NYC area the new Big East is weaker.

Seton Hall and Saint John's are weaker today and UCONN (probably the most hurt by the old Big East imploding) is decimated in the current landscape. In some ways BC and even Syracuse (plus Jim B retiring) are diminished without the old Big East.

Regionally Rutgers and Penn State are in a pretty good position to get the above average local players from NYC, NJ, and Phila, relative to even ten years ago. Even Vill. is due to fall somewhat as they have been way over performing and are ready for some regression.

Last edited:

According to the Big Ten Preseason Poll, most of us predicted 9-10 wins from the Gophers and now folks think they are underachieving for some reason... Without last season's injuries and the Lynch mess we would be looking at three consecutive Tourney appearances. People assume that if Pitino gets fired we'll get an automatic upgrade, but people aren't exactly lining up for a coaching job here. We could wind up with another Monson. It's frustrating when fans have no patience or grace, even when we're experiencing moderate success. This isn't Michigan St. or Purdue and it never will be if we keep rotating coaches every 6 years.

You were wondering how Pitino was going to replace him. So you must have some inside information about him leaving? Or maybe you're just a lame troll.

You never touched my question.

I'm saying below .500 in the big 10 with Coffey, and armageddon without Coffery.

Fu----g Puke either way!

We are literally having to cheer for Coffey to suck at the NBA stuff for us not to be an embarrassment next year. I'd ask some to think on that, but it's pointless.

Last edited:

According to the Big Ten Preseason Poll, most of us predicted 9-10 wins from the Gophers and now folks think they are underachieving for some reason... Without last season's injuries and the Lynch mess we would be looking at three consecutive Tourney appearances. People assume that if Pitino gets fired we'll get an automatic upgrade, but people aren't exactly lining up for a coaching job here. We could wind up with another Monson. It's frustrating when fans have no patience or grace, even when we're experiencing moderate success. This isn't Michigan St. or Purdue and it never will be if we keep rotating coaches every 6 years.

three straight tourney bids and 0-3 is what you'd see.

HELL YES!

They take 64 flipping teams.

We can't risk it though. This is fine and dandy. We could be worse. Every dam team in the country who replaces a coach could be worse, but they are replacing the coach because they feel they can do better. If this is your worry, that we don't get an upgrade, then sign Pitino for 15 years and watch this season for the next 15 years. Have at it!

Last edited:

I haven’t kept up on everything the last day or 2. Is IW injured or just can’t get off the bench anymore?

Collins finished ahead last year, has a better conference record and has won a game in the NCAA tourney. Plus his job is much tougher than the head job here.

Very hard to recruit to Northwestern, very small number of kids that are recruitable as far as grades and test scores. They did relax admissions a little bit for Collins to start bringing in more talent.

Very true. If Coyle can make an upgrade at head coach, then he should. However, perhaps Coyle doesn’t feel confident he can get a superior coach or perhaps he thinks Pitino is a superior coach. Pretty much everyone on this board seems to have high regard for Coyle so think it is logical that we trust him on Pitino’s future, either way. He certainly has way more insight into this than any of us.
My concern is recruiting. The perennial bottom feeders are stepping up their games and the big ten schedule is going to continue to be a gauntlet. Lots of scholarships to fill, but would think Coyle has the pulse of this as well and will include it in his considerations.
What you say about 3 consecutive seasons is also correct.

Last edited:

I actually think Pitino is a good coach. He has had some very tough breaks in the last few years with Lynch and Curry's injury. With those two players last year, I think the Gophers would have made a deep run in the tournament. I would not want to move from him right now, if I were a Gopher. My two cents.

So the expectations at the beginning of the season among fans were so mediocre that we barely expected a .500 record in conference, and by actually meeting our mediocre expectations that makes the season ok? This team has talent. This team showed it can compete with the best in the conference. This team suffered no major injuries or suspensions and had its core available throughout the entire season. This team won just 2 road games and only one of those was against a good team. This team was wildly inconsistent. This team absolutely should have been better than 9-11. This team underachieved. The fans need to start demanding and expecting better than mediocre or this is all we’ll ever see.

I actually think Pitino is a good coach. He has had some very tough breaks in the last few years with Lynch and Curry's injury. With those two players last year, I think the Gophers would have made a deep run in the tournament. I would not want to move from him right now, if I were a Gopher. My two cents.

The problem is the public and, seemingly, a lot of the local Hs coaches, have given up on him so it’s getting harder and harder to recruit. You’re right that he’s had a ton of bad luck and likely “deserves” a much better record to this point, but enough bad luck can set the narrative for the coach permanently enough that we’re forced to move on, and I think that’s going to be the case here.

Not sure what you've been watching the last 6 years, but he's not a good coach. And now with recruiting going terribly, it's the perfect time for a change.
A good hire will have some pieces in place to be competitive next year.

If they make the tournament, he will not be fired and all your ranting, baseless assertions and negativity will only serve to torpedo the program. There’s good and there’s some bad. But he’s not some horrible coach who can’t recruit a lick or is a program embarrassment. He’s learning every day and every year. I’m convinced he will ultimately be very successful.

The only way Coyle should fire him is if he has a committed upgrade ready, willing and able. Period.

+1000

I did post after the Purdue game. They were wondering where all the Pitino bashers were. I showed up as if I were being called. My posts were something along the lines of a Purdue win doesn't change anything. It's still the same team. Notice what you saw tonight?

Sorry you missed it.

What I saw tonight has nothing to do with enjoying a win over the #11 team in the country. I'm not a fan of Pitino either. But I can still enjoy a big win. If not, what's the point of being a fan?

My frustration is how badly we play at times. There have been so many games where we look totally lost, just so out of it. In the 12 losses, they've lost by an average of 11.5 points.

Top Bottom