Who do gophers want to play in BTT round 1?

Some guy

Reaction score
There should not even be debate.

Only one team is under .500 and gives you a quad 1 neutral floor chance

That’d be penn state

How likely is it that the Gophers win their first game in the BTT but don't make the NCAA tournament because the win wasn't good enough?

I'd rather take the easiest win which is probably Northwestern, Nebraska, or Rutgers.

All these teams have played well and played horribly. You never know which version you're gonna get. The only one of those teams that we don't want is Penn State - they've been a consistent buzzsaw for some time now.

All these teams have played well and played horribly. You never know which version you're gonna get. The only one of those teams that we don't want is Penn State - they've been a consistent buzzsaw for some time now.
A 6-13 "consistent" buzzsaw.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There should not even be debate.

Only one team is under .500 and gives you a quad 1 neutral floor chance

That’d be penn state
Penn State is playing some really good basketball. It is likely we would lose by 10 points. They pushed us to the brink on our home court. They would have the edge on a neutral court. The Gophers are an enigma.

How likely is it that the Gophers win their first game in the BTT but don't make the NCAA tournament because the win wasn't good enough?

I'd rather take the easiest win which is probably Northwestern, Nebraska, or Rutgers.

Zero.

I'd say if they lose their first game, they have a 1% chance to miss (after a loss to MD).

Penn State is playing some really good basketball. It is likely we would lose by 10 points. They pushed us to the brink on our home court. They would have the edge on a neutral court. The Gophers are an enigma.

I say let's just stay home and not go to chicago! If you read most of the posts on here, it is apparent that our 19-11 gophers, that are a likely Ncaa tournament team will lose to a 13-17 penn state by 10, nobody wants to play 11-19 illinois, and a 14-15 rutgers is up and coming so we are gonna lose that game. I know we can struggle at times, but let's have a little faith!

I say let's just stay home and not go to chicago! If you read most of the posts on here, it is apparent that our 19-11 gophers, that are a likely Ncaa tournament team will lose to a 13-17 penn state by 10, nobody wants to play 11-19 illinois, and a 14-15 rutgers is up and coming so we are gonna lose that game. I know we can struggle at times, but let's have a little faith!
It really depends on which Gopher team shows up. They are a complete enigma...much like the women's team.
Of the teams out there, Penn State has had the best February. They have been consistently competitive with some good wins.
I get your snark. It would be great to have confidence in the Gohers. They have been so incredibly erratic in play that one cannot be confident. If you like mystery, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, you'll like the Gophers. There is a reason there are multiple threads speculating on the future of the current Gopher coach.
If the Gophers win...great. If they lose...no one will be shocked. Welcome to the Gopher rollercoaster.

Zero.

I'd say if they lose their first game, they have a 1% chance to miss (after a loss to MD).

If Ohio State wins at home against Wisconsin, we lose to Maryland, Indiana wins at home against Rutgers, we would probably play a 8-12 Indiana team in the first round of the B1G tournament. Indiana has some huge Quad 1 wins....MSU twice, Louisville, Marquette and Wisconsin. If we lose to Indiana, that would probably put them ahead of the Gophers because at that point we would have identical B1G records and we would have split with them....on our home court and in a neutral site game. They would also be riding a 5 game win streak. If Ohio State also wins their first round game, we are going to have to hope they take 9 B1G teams. I'd feel much better with one more win.

Last edited:

A 6-13 "consistent" buzzsaw.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Are you aware that they've won 4 of their last 5 games? I'm never sure whether some people on here know what's going on.

It really depends on which Gopher team shows up. They are a complete enigma...much like the women's team.
Of the teams out there, Penn State has had the best February. They have been consistently competitive with some good wins.
I get your snark. It would be great to have confidence in the Gohers. They have been so incredibly erratic in play that one cannot be confident. If you like mystery, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, you'll like the Gophers. There is a reason there are multiple threads speculating on the future of the current Gopher coach.
If the Gophers win...great. If they lose...no one will be shocked. Welcome to the Gopher rollercoaster.

No I get it. Wasnt a rip on you. You are exactly right. We can be great and we can go 10 minutes without scoring and lose 59-46 lol no matter who we get were gonna have to play well to win. Bottom feeders in big ten are not easy outs. That's one reason if we finish 9-11 in conference I dont think that's as bad as some people think. 20 games is a grind. Every team goes in spurts. Right now its penn state, Rutgers, and illinois playing better. While iowa and Ohio state are going through some stuff now.

Illini have cooled off

Should be noted, Illinois has cooled off considerably. Fighting Illini have lost 4 of their last 5

I say we would want to play Ohio State at this point. They are not even half the team they are without Wesson. OSU got rolled by NW and Purdue....STEAM ROLLED. Iowa would be another team I wouldn't mind playing.

Penn ST.....no way. beat Rutgers at Rutgers....lost a Close one at Wisky, stomped Maryland, beat Illinois

The lesson of the women's game yesterday is, whoever you play, hit it hard. Come in scrappy and confident and don't take anything for granted.

Honestly, most of the teams in this conference are very close. Michigan State IMO, is head and shoulders above and the rest can beat you, or you can beat them on any given night.

Just win tonight and don't worry about what happens next week. That or win your 1st round game. Either situation puts this team in LOCK status. Bang let's go, win em both and maybe surprise a team in the next round and they
are looking at a 7-8 seed.

If Ohio State wins at home against Wisconsin, we lose to Maryland, Indiana wins at home against Rutgers, we would probably play a 8-12 Indiana team in the first round of the B1G tournament. Indiana has some huge Quad 1 wins....MSU twice, Louisville, Marquette and Wisconsin. If we lost to Indiana, that would probably put them ahead of the Gophers because at that point we would have identical B1G records and we would have split with them....on our home court and in a neutral site game. They would also be riding a 5 game win streak. If Ohio State also wins their first round game, we are going to have to hope they take 9 B1G teams. I'd feel much better with one more win.

My point was that if a win gets us in for sure, I'd rather play whoever gives us the best chance at that win. How good the win is wouldn't matter so I wouldn't want to play a better team so the potential win looks better because that increases the chances of losing.

We're probably going to be playing Penn State, which is arguably the team playing the best basketball in the conference right now. They absolutely throttled Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois and beat Michigan. Remember that we beat them at home, by one, and Penn State becomes the team I would least likely want to play at the moment. I'd much rather get Rutgers or Illinois, which are the other two possible first round draws for the gophers I believe.

My point was that if a win gets us in for sure, I'd rather play whoever gives us the best chance at that win. How good the win is wouldn't matter so I wouldn't want to play a better team so the potential win looks better because that increases the chances of losing.

Any win gets us in I think.

We're probably going to be playing Penn State, which is arguably the team playing the best basketball in the conference right now. They absolutely throttled Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois and beat Michigan. Remember that we beat them at home, by one, and Penn State becomes the team I would least likely want to play at the moment. I'd much rather get Rutgers or Illinois, which are the other two possible first round draws for the gophers I believe.

On the other hand, a close loss to PSU on a neutral court probably wouldn’t change the net ranking much. We’d probably still be ‘in’ unless there are a lot of conference tournament upsets

When you are average team in the BIG: 6,7, or 8; all matchups in the BTT potentially pose a problem...with the possible exception of NW...

IMO the gophers miss the tourney if we lose to Maryland and also lose the first round B1G tourney game

Wrong.

You want to play quad one teams.
Zero downside to losing.
Huge upside to winning.

This is why you want to play penn state

Wrong.

You want to play quad one teams.
Zero downside to losing.
Huge upside to winning.

This is why you want to play penn state

Alright, I'm in. Let's play Penn State!

IMO the gophers miss the tourney if we lose to Maryland and also lose the first round B1G tourney game

Agree. I don’t think 19-12/9-11 with only 2 road wins and 3 quad 1 wins is going to be good enough get our name called on selection Sunday, especially with the probability of upsets for automatic bids in other conferences. We need to win on Thursday.

Agree. I don’t think 19-12/9-11 with only 2 road wins and 3 quad 1 wins is going to be good enough get our name called on selection Sunday, especially with the probability of upsets for automatic bids in other conferences. We need to win on Thursday.

And bleep this blank about doing barely enough to sneak in. I fear this is the attitude that produced the egg the team laid last night. Just keep pushing and don't worry about your tournament eligibility. That's somebody else's job. Do YOUR job.

You're looking at things in a vacuum. The entire bubble is weak. Which is not just 2019.. every year we are saying this.. so its time we realize that the bubble teams are good basketball teams, not great. All have flaws. Every time I read someone pick us apart as a bubble team, usually its compared to a resume' of a 5/6 seed, not another bubble team.

You're looking at things in a vacuum. The entire bubble is weak. Which is not just 2019.. every year we are saying this.. so its time we realize that the bubble teams are good basketball teams, not great. All have flaws. Every time I read someone pick us apart as a bubble team, usually its compared to a resume' of a 5/6 seed, not another bubble team.

That may very well be, but after the Purdue win there was a sense of irrational exuberance (to quote the otherwise unquotable Alan Greenspan) about being a lock for the tourney with what is an average resume. We have almost zero margin for error, and without a BTT win selection Sunday is going to be a sweaty one for Gophers fans.

Top Bottom