NET Update post Purdue

It literally is in place to compare Minnesota and penn state.

Team X and team Y are competing for a bubble spot.

Team X beat Minnesota
Team Y beat Penn state

Who has the better quality win.
According to NET team Y should get in because they beat quad 1 penn state on a neutral court. While team Y gets a quad 2 win for beating Minnesota on a neutral court.

This is obviously a hypothetical situation. But you can see why doing a bad job can have a major impact on many teams. Not just the teams misplaced in the rankings but the teams that played those teams and how they compare in seeding and placement in the tourney.

I do not like net

As far as your question goes... when was the game played cuz penn st was arguably the better team the last 3rd of the season.....

You are not getting my point...the net is stupid...its based on variables within variables within variables and reinforces itself exponentially...My point is i would rather be precise than accuarate... ...It would be much easier just to take multiple ranking systems (one ranking system should be soley based on wins) take the average and boom simple...Instead of relying on a singular system that weights things different (wins, efficiency)

and hey lets give the committee a chance we have no idea what they are about to do..i think they have done an excellent job considering the circumstances for the last 80 years or so..lets ask sid..happy b day

I do not like net

As far as your question goes... when was the game played cuz penn st was arguably the better team the last 3rd of the season.....

You are not getting my point...the net is stupid...its based on variables within variables within variables and reinforces itself exponentially...My point is i would rather be precise than accuarate... ...It would be much easier just to take multiple ranking systems (one ranking system should be soley based on wins) take the average and boom simple...Instead of relying on a singular system that weights things different (wins, efficiency)

and hey lets give the committee a chance we have no idea what they are about to do..i think they have done an excellent job considering the circumstances for the last 80 years or so..lets ask sid..happy b day

I agree. I am not worried that much about it because that’s what I think they’ll do.

I don’t even think NET is one of the things gs they should look at. It is a worthless metric.

NET is complete garbage tool. As Gophers went 2-1 in big ten tourney yet went from 56-61 after the 3 games. It’s all plus minus so going 2-1 with close wins and a blowout loss is way worse in net than the opposite 1-2 with blowout win and 2 close losses. Winning and only winning should matter to get in then use kenpom to give out seeds. RPI with slight tweaks should be used to get in than kenpom to seed is what I would do if I was on the committee.

NET is complete garbage tool. As Gophers went 2-1 in big ten tourney yet went from 56-61 after the 3 games. It’s all plus minus so going 2-1 with close wins and a blowout loss is way worse in net than the opposite 1-2 with blowout win and 2 close losses. Winning and only winning should matter to get in then use kenpom to give out seeds. RPI with slight tweaks should be used to get in than kenpom to seed is what I would do if I was on the committee.

Agreed. For determining who is in and out, three things should matter for every game. Who you played, where you played, whether you won.

I do not like net

How is NET giving any more precision? Accuracy is much more important than precision when it comes to most anything and especially basketball game results. If my team win a game I would much rather have the record it as a win instead of a lose by 4.00000 points.

We can assume that the committee will use some past logic in the selection process, but the concern is that they developed NET to improve the selection process. Hopefully, they will see the flaws in the NET and feel obligated to use it.

Top Bottom